Trusted Contributor

While Josh and Brent appear to be nice guys, and like their goats,  their products I cannot comment on, as I've never tried them and never will.

The reason I never will is still etched in my memory, visually and auditory;  the  slaughter of their 2 pigs, Porky and Bess, who they said they loved dearly.

I watched the Season 1 episode where they had them killed and butchered, stating 'how grateful they are for their sacrifice',Really?  Then they ate them. 

I know farmers do this every day, but I can't support that. This is not a post to tear down Josh and Brent, just me stating my POV, as to why their products never appealed to me because of that episode from season 1. Never watched it again after that episode.

Heart

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

@skittles2 wrote:

While Josh and Brent appear to be nice guys, and like their goats,  their products I cannot comment on, as I've never tried them and never will.

The reason I never will is still etched in my memory, visually and auditory;  the  slaughter of their 2 pigs, Porky and Bess, who they said they loved dearly.

I watched the Season 1 episode where they had them killed and butchered, stating 'how grateful they are for their sacrifice',Really?  Then they ate them. 

I know farmers do this every day, but I can't support that. This is not a post to tear down Josh and Brent, just me stating my POV, as to why their products never appealed to me because of that episode from season 1. Never watched it again after that episode.

Heart

What?? Did they have a show?  Why did they eat them? Were they starving?  I do eat meat but I don't think I could eat anything that I had named and known personally!
Respected Contributor

Oh good grief, farmers, kids in 4H, me...everyone who eats meat is involved in the death of animals.

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

@skittles2 wrote:

Heart

What?? Did they have a show?  Why did they eat them? Were they starving?  I do eat meat but I don't think I could eat anything that I had named and known personally!

They had a program called The Fabulous Beekman Boys.  I think it only aired for one season, maybe two.  I didn't watch it but I think it depicted life on the farm, so that would naturally include living off of what you raise be it crops or livestock.  Then they were contestants on The Amazing Race and won the million.  Part of that money went toward paying their mortgage and starting their lifestyle brand.  It wasn't only their association with Farmer John, Martha Stewart, and the artisans of Sharon Springs, NY that put them on the map.  That prize money rarely gets talked about, if ever.

Contributor
I agree with post -- yes, most of us eat meat but I could never eat an animal that I had personally known and cared for. It's a disgusting thought IMO.
Honored Contributor

That is a turn off for me.  I could never watch something like that nor could I justify killing animals who I named and had as pets and then eat them!  There are those who may be used to this and not give it a thought but there are also many of us who find it offensive.

I too wondered about the care of the goats despite what was said and shown.  However, if money is being made and there is profit, I would guess the goats are not mistreated.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Oh good grief, farmers, kids in 4H, me...everyone who eats meat is involved in the death of animals.

Exactly!  good grief is right!  Farm animals are for food and clothing and soap.  Milk, Meat and Hide.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Beekman; Josh and Brent

[ Edited ]

@skittles2 

The absolute best and most nourishing soap I've ever used is made by our local beekeeper.  It smells wonderful and not only is it moisturizing, it's very healing.  It's all natural, contains goats milk, honey and shea butter.  It's amazing and at $5.00 a bar, much more affordable.  They also make a body butter that puts Josie's second place for me.  Studier's Honeypot in case you want to check it out.  Made locally in Georgia with no surprise ingredients.  The Orange Blossom honey is delicious.  They transfer their bees to Florida for a while, then bring them home.The Georgia Gallberry Honey is absolutely amazing.  

The Beekman soaps are very drying for me.  I was expecting too much from them apparently.  

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

In addition, those who like leather interior in their vehicles, those who wear fur coats, leather shoes and carry leather purses, those who take certain collagen supplements.  Just sayin'.  

Honored Contributor

They should call the Beekman Boys the Weird Boys, there's just a disconnect there IMO. I didn't watch their show, I live in a rural area where 4H is everything and every kid raises some kind of farm animal. What I know of meat farmers is, they do treat their animals well, but they are for food and money, there is no emotional connection to the animal.I have bought their lip balms and soap and the products are excellent.IMO