Honored Contributor

Aloha!  I have gotten into the habit of reviewing beauty products on Beautypedia when they are being presented on QVC.  It's amazing how many itmes I think, "OHHHH, I'd like to try that!", only to read a horrible expert review on Beautypedia.  It has certainly saved me $$$ on many occassions!

How about y'all?  Do you rely on other sites, Beautypedia or others, for expert (not the general buyer) reviews before trying a beauty product?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beautypedia Expert Reviews

Sometimes, I do.  It's useful if considering trying something new.  For me, PTR works very well. but due to animal testing will no longer buy. Went back to SSC which have always been pretty good for me.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of Beautypedia until now.  The makeup I have purchased I have gone to the store to try out and purchase.  If there is a problem when I take it home in different lighting, I will return it.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I like to read the reviews on multiple websites that sell the products plus the reviews from Makeupalley and Beautypedia. This way I get a pretty good idea of what to look for and what to ignore.

Honored Contributor

IMO, it's only one source and sometimes I can't help but think the reviews are biased in favor of PC products.  Granted that makes sense, but I've seen many popular items that people like get unfavorable reviews.  There are also products people like that don't even have reviews on the site.  I read multiple sites, but in the end it still boils down to how something works for the individual.  There are probably many instances where someone avoided a very good product because Paula said it was bad, as well as other instances where they tried it anyway, in spite of her review, and were very pleased.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love to research items I'm considering purchasing. Have for years. I tend to stick to a consensus of opinion when available. Looking at the feature, benefit or results I'm looking to derive. ..if three or more sources ally with my interest I know I'm going in the right direction. If not, I keep looking for what I want to suit my particular objective. Whether it's a personal item or household project, auto, etc etc the time I've taken to educate myself has served me well. Of course there's times when comments are mixed  and and I try to make the best decision with what needs I want met.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to skincare especially, but also certain types of makeup (e.g., foundation), I do want to see a factual analysis of the ingredients, and for that, I refer to Beautypedia. If a product has irritants or regular alcohol, I want to know. I don't know of any other site that homes in on ingredients.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I always rely on Beautypedia because I've been using Paula's products since 1995.  I like that her team analyzes the ingredients in the skin care.

Honored Contributor

To me it's like reading Revlon's reviews of Estee Lauder.  I don't put that much confidence in it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like to read the reviews on multiple websites that sell the products plus the reviews from Makeupalley and Beautypedia. This way I get a pretty good idea of what to look for and what to ignore.

@SilleeMee...thanks for mentioning Makeupalley.  That is a new one for me.  I'll be sure to check it as well, especially when I see conflicting reviews as another poster mentioned in her response.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.