Contributor

Beauty with Benefits: Why Not Raise $ To Cure Cancer???

QVC has a great idea selling products to raise $ for charity...but why not a more substantial cause? My mom is battling ovarian cancer for the 2nd time, and that would have been great for QVC to throw all this $ into research on how to end or to fund treatment for a female cancer like hers. Giving tons of $ to an organization that helps women go back to work after they've beat cancer??? A cause that "educates" people on their rights on the workplace??? Women are dying. What are you thinking, QVC?

Contributor

Re: Beauty with Benefits: Why Not Raise $ To Cure Cancer???

Just heard Jane say $4.5 million has been raised through Beauty With Benefits. Wow....that could have bought a lot of research or treatment. So sad.

Honored Contributor

QVC raises money for ovarian cancer and breast cancer every year.  You may want to do a little research.  The events raise a lot of money.

Honored Contributor

This isn't a "who needs the money the most when dealing with cancer" contest. QVC is responding to a HUGE need that women AND their family have due to policies in this country regarding health care, time off and keeping ones' job. Bills are still there no matter what may be wrong with you; family members need what they need and if you don't have a job and NEED that money to survive.... now what? It's a freaking double whammy to have cancer, deal with cancer and then to lose your job?!

There are MANY aspects of cancer that women need help with; this addresses just one of those aspects and I am THRILLED about it.

Contributor

While I watch QVC enough to realize they have other cancer fundraisers such as FANY Shoes On Sale, this fundraiser is frankly insulting to those of us watching loved ones suffer (or die) from cancer. Let me repeat... $4.5 million is being given to a charity that does NOTHING to eradicate or treat cancer. It's hard to understand what Careers and Cancer even does with the $. I assume by your unkind response that I should "do research" that you are blessed enough not to love someone suffering from this terrible disease.

Honored Contributor

@klb2 This will be last post to you and on this subject:

*My beloved grandmother died a horrible, agonizing death due to cancer. I assisted with her care along with a cousin and Hospice. Her death is why I left the Church as she should NEVER have suffered as she did.

*My father died from cancer. I took care of him. I made the decision to take him off life support while being called a murderer by my family. Even the priest wouldn't speak to me. 

*My son is slowly dieing of a brain disease. I am his caretaker. Having your child scream and plead to kill him with an overdose of morphine (as did my grandmother) so he can be pain free is slowly killing my soul.

* 3 good friends, all women have dealt with cancer. All 3 have lived but paid a huge price for it. HUGE.

So yeah, kib2, I DO know those who have suffered from this disease as well as other just as horriffic. I have seen what it does to their family. I have seen (and am living with) financially what has/can happen and two of those friends would have preferred to die than put their family through living hand to mouth; losing their home, etc. Yes, this program DOES help. Shame you don't see how important it is.

Cheers.

Honored Contributor

I hope your mother will be okay. She will be in my prayers tonight.  QVC does participate in a cancer fund when they have the shoes for sale at half price and also when they have the sale in the Hamptons.  I think it is important to also donate money to other diseases that have absolutely no cure.  Some cancers can be cured while auto immune diseases have no cure at all and have killed.  A lawyer I worked with lost his daughter in her 30's with 4 children to MS.  God Bless your mother and God give your strength to be at her side. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@klb2 wrote:

While I watch QVC enough to realize they have other cancer fundraisers such as FANY Shoes On Sale, this fundraiser is frankly insulting to those of us watching loved ones suffer (or die) from cancer. Let me repeat... $4.5 million is being given to a charity that does NOTHING to eradicate or treat cancer. It's hard to understand what Careers and Cancer even does with the $. I assume by your unkind response that I should "do research" that you are blessed enough not to love someone suffering from this terrible disease.

I'm sorry you think my response was unkind.  I was responding to your post that today's event should go toward ovarian cancer research.  The q gives to ovarian cancer research every summer at super Saturday.  

I know quite a bit about cancer.  I fought stage 3 endometrial cancer in 2015.  I had chemo and radiation.  I have the same fear every cancer survivor has, will it come back.

It's hard returning to work full time after treatment is over.  I was weak from sitting around for six months.  I was also just plain tired.  I was one of the lucky ones who has good benefits and didn't have to work through treatments.  I know others who weren't so lucky and would get treatment, then go to work.

Life after treatment is hard too.  Just my perspective.  Hope your mother is doing well.

Trusted Contributor

It is my understanding that the money raised goes towards those with cancer who are undergoing treatment while they are still working.  

Honored Contributor

Only here would an argument start over a good cause. My mom died with lymphoma, so don't say I don't know what I'm talking about.  Thanks QVC for acknowledging that help is needed at all stages.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan