Respected Contributor

Watched a video from Jaclyn Hill on YouTube called "Huge Drugstore Makeup Haul" from two weeks ago.  OMG!  She spent hundreds of dollars on drugstore makeup - she just kept pulling products out of the box (think she ordered from Ulta or Sephora).  You really need to watch - she's fun to watch, but I'm still amazed at all the product she bought.  She rips packages open and then says "this isn't going to work for me".  Maybe she just gives it away to friends - I don't know.  But it's pretty amazing.  She's entertaining to say the least.  If you want to feel better about how much money you spend on beauty products, this video will do the trick. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Watched a video from Jaclyn Hill on YouTube called "Huge Drugstore Makeup Haul" from two weeks ago.  OMG!  She spent hundreds of dollars on drugstore makeup - she just kept pulling products out of the box (think she ordered from Ulta or Sephora).  You really need to watch - she's fun to watch, but I'm still amazed at all the product she bought.  She rips packages open and then says "this isn't going to work for me".  Maybe she just gives it away to friends - I don't know.  But it's pretty amazing.  She's entertaining to say the least.  If you want to feel better about how much money you spend on beauty products, this video will do the trick. 

@hoosieroriginal  I sometimes wonder how much of the stuff they present was sent to these vloggers and how much of it was purchased with their own money, since most of them don't clarify which things were sent to them for free, and which ones they purchased. 

I also wonder if the products purchased by vloggers who make considerable cash doing videos are something they can write off at tax time.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, It may sound conspiratorial, but as @mistriTsquirrel states these vloggers and bloggers don't really spend a great deal of their own money on product.  This is the same sort of arrangement the cosmetic companies have always had with beauty editors of print publications.  By incuding the online producers they have just expanded the marketing playing field to include a large group of people who can reach potential customers for their products.  Beauty retailers even send them things so that their store can get a mention.  

As for the vloggers and bloggers more power to them for being taken as a serious contributers to the beauty industry. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beauty vloggers

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, It may sound conspiratorial, but as @mistriTsquirrel states these vloggers and bloggers don't really spend a great deal of their own money on product.  This is the same sort of arrangement the cosmetic companies have always had with beauty editors of print publications.  By incuding the online producers they have just expanded the marketing playing field to include a large group of people who can reach potential customers for their products.  Beauty retailers even send them things so that their store can get a mention.  

As for the vloggers and bloggers more power to them for being taken as a serious contributers to the beauty industry. Woman Happy

@Trix  Thankfully, most of them seem willing to tell everyone which of those products they don't like.  Otherwise, I would see it all as a big scam on the viewers.

I wonder if I'm being naive though.  Maybe it's more of a scam than I realize?  Hmm.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I hate it when beauty influencers take one look at something and make a snap decision about it.  Jaclyn is too over-the-top for me sometimes.  I prefer people who are calm, not obnoxious and thoughtful in their reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel, It's not a scam.  The vloggers and bloggers opinions serve tthe companies as a reasonable form of test marketing products.  There's no disadvantage for a vlogger/blogger in their relationship with the companies if they have to say something negative about a product.  In fact, it's part of the deal.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beauty vloggers

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

I hate it when beauty influencers take one look at something and make a snap decision about it.

I don't like it either.  I like it when the vloggers use the products enough to have an informed and thought-out opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel, It's not a scam.  The vloggers and bloggers opinions serve tthe companies as a reasonable form of test marketing products.  There's no disadvantage for a vlogger/blogger in their relationship with the companies if they have to say something negative about a product.  In fact, it's part of the deal.  

@Trix  I suppose so.  I just wonder sometimes if there are things going on behind the scenes that we as consumers don't know about.

Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Trix - I've learned a lot of techniques for applying makeup.  They're so fun to watch!

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I hate it when beauty influencers take one look at something and make a snap decision about it.  Jaclyn is too over-the-top for me sometimes.  I prefer people who are calm, not obnoxious and thoughtful in their reviews.

@Mellie32 - This was my first time watching her - she is a little hyper - couldn't watch her all the time.  Some of them talk so fast it gives me a headache!