Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty upkeep for older working women

I am on disability for a few years now but when I was working I made sure my color was always looking good and I never wore a lot of makeup for work so that was no big deal. You have to find out what works for you and how to make life easier. Like shorter hair, possibly doing your own color. It really looks bad when a woman lets too much of the gray show through. Not a nice look. Go gray if coloring is a problem. You want healthy hair. I stopped coloring my hair when I left work. Never looked back and love my color of salt & pepper.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I'm WAY more high maintenance at 52 than I ever was in my earlier years!! I'm lucky enough to be retired, but even then there's a lot to do. I have to get my hair colored every seven weeks (should go every six but stretch it out another week), I'm epilating my legs, I'm using a laser for my bikini area and under arms (hopefully the hair will eventually die out), etc., etc. I have to fill in my brows, exercise more than ever just so I don't gain weight (forget about losing) - it really goes on and on.

I do always feel grateful when I have the energy for house work and making a home-cooked meal. I don't remember house work being this time consuming in my 20's or 30's either!

Honored Contributor

I make myself cleanse my face every night before bed. I make myself. Sometimes I'm so exhausted I just think -- I can't do it. But if I didn't, I know I'd feel awful. A clean face just feels so good. I admit that I am lax on some things. Right now I need to color my hair but that's a chore. Luckily, the last color I used (although I did not like it) does not show re-growth much at all. I have many health problems and still work full-time, and at 62, just find my energy is just not that high, plus having pain in multiple places really holds you back. I feel I am really not high maintenance at all any more - thankfully!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I have a routine which helps. I do not have a long commute, so that helps. On Sunday, I get my yogurts and vitamin water in fridge for the week. I pick my clothes out for the week, even layout my under garments. When I get home, I do not sit down until I feed the dogs and wash my face. I actually put my PJs on too, who cares ? I'll pick out my jewelry for the next day. So, organization for me is key.

Frequent Contributor

I enjoyed reading your replies! I sure miss having the energy to really take care of every thing but that's a part of getting older. I'm 55 and noticed this change at about 50 but I'm very thankful that I can still work and have the energy to do what I do as my job is very physical demanding. Hey what's wrong with a little hair on the legs,sandpaper feet and dark roots once in awhile?!!!

MJ- I'm sorry you broke your foot. I hope you are on the mend!

Honored Contributor

I take a shower every night before bed and usually wash my hair. In the mornings, I use a BB tinted cream as a foundation, one color only on the eyelids, an eyeliner, mascara, and maybe some blush--some days not.

I wear a lot of dresses and I'm out the door easily. I use serum and moisturizer on my face at night when I need it, sometimes just serum in the day--and a sunscreen in makeup, or otherwise.

I make myself get my hair colored and cut every 5 weeks. When that goes well, the rest goes so much easier!

Respected Contributor

I'm 58-59 and work full time. I have simplified my "getting ready for the day" routine a LOT in recent years and relaxed my expectations of myself in terms of appearance, at least on the weekends. I don't bother with manicures/pedicures and I am lucky to not have gray hair to cover yet. I find that keeping my hair long-ish is much easier than wearing it short. If I don't feel like washing/styling one day I have the option to just tie it up or back, and I only get it trimmed/highlighted 2-3 times per year.

I live alone and therefore feel the drag of keeping everything in my household in order without help. I've never been a sound sleeper, but menopause has really messed up my sleep and I find that contributes greatly to feeling run down at the end of the day. I sometimes have to force myself to get up and walk/run or work out, but I find that when I do, I always feel better. I find that momentum is my friend - I know that if I sit down to watch a TV show that it will be much harder to get anything else done that evening.

If I have a particularly rough day at work, I allow myself a night to just snack for dinner, or pick something up, which is a treat for me since I find cooking a chore (wish I liked it as much as the cooking show people do). I'll find something to watch on Netflix, pour a glass of wine and light a wonderful BBW 3-wick candle, and veg out on the couch without guilt.

Respected Contributor

I'm still working at 59, and I agree with nearly everything said here! I get tired faster than I used to, and sometimes "maintenance" is just too much trouble. I do get my hair cut every 2 months, colored every 4 months, but my salon is right next door to my office and I work for DH, so have the freedom to make appt's during the work day (something we also allow our 2 employees to do, since all of us go to same salon). I wash my hair every day, and give my legs a quick shave--I haven't been lucky enough to see any decrease in leg hair. I shower in the morning, as it helps me wake up.

I often don't wash my face before bed, and haven't had any skin problems. I try to keep up with my feet in sandal season, neglect them somewhat the rest of the year.

My biggest nemesis--and what takes the most time--is facial hair! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} I got the Emjoi eRase epilator when it was the TSV awhile ago, and that thing is a miracle worker for the upper lip and cheeks/sideburn area. But I still have to pluck coarser chin hairs every.single.day.

Super Contributor

I got the Emjoi eRase epilator when it was the TSV awhile ago, and that thing is a miracle worker for the upper lip and cheeks/sideburn area. But I still have to pluck coarser chin hairs every.single.day.

me too - for some reason my genes want me to have a mustache and a goatee. Seems to me that we go from being working parents with young children (exhausted) to working parents with teens (exhausted) to working through the change (exhausted)

I'm in my 40s but the way things are going I can't imagine I am going to be able to retire comfortably for many years, so I guess I can look forward to working at age 60+ (exhausted). Hopefully I'll be a granny then - that will be fun (even if it is exhausting).

Regular Contributor

Wow, I thought this was a joke at first......no, my maintenance is pretty much the same as it was many years ago......my only addition is my Clarisonic Mia....not big on a lot of "stuff" to keep me happy with this face.....got it, gotta love it.....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}