Super Contributor

Re: Beauty spending redux

[ Edited ]

@Happydaze so as not to invite any more comments about my spending habits, I have removed the budget comment in my post. 

Respected Contributor

I second Nice and Easy for hair coloring. It takes a couple times to get used to coloring your hair yourself, but after that, you will find that it does save you a lot of money.

I agree Suave Professional Shampoo and Conditioner is the best affordable drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner. I use the Argon Oil Infused color care one.

I also agree with another poster to "shop your stash."  Maybe make it a rule that  you don't purchase anything until you run out of what you have.  That will also help you save money.

For drugstore foundation, I recommend Loreal True Match.  For Blush, Milani's baked blush.  And for lipsticks, Revlon's Matte Balm or Balm stain. For makeup remover, Garnier's Micellar Water.

I think it is great that you are re-thinking your spending. We can all strive to be a little more frugal.

Super Contributor

Thank you to everyone who provided product recommendations and some tips/strategies. 

New Contributor

I think high end makeup is worth it, I don't buy the most expensive but I guess prestige brands - like Pur Minerals, Benefit, Laura Geler, Urban Decay. When I thought my spending was out of control I just decided not to buy anything new until I used it up. It is amaazing how much makeup you can stockpile.  I also try to buy around the sales at Ulta and purchase value kits around the holidays. I purchase a kit or two on QVC.

I do think your hair greatly affects your appearance so professional color is worth it. You can determine if $80 is a good price for your area or not. I pay less where I live but have lived in places it cost a lot more.

Typically I don't get as good of results with drugstore brands but do find drugstore skincare, lipgloss, lipsticks, etc. the same. I like Physicians Formula powders and NYX is one of the best drugstore brand makeups. I like their double ended eyebrow / highlighter pencil almost as much as Benefit.  I know last year I spend $400 at least at Ulta because I made platinum but that did include gifts. By only replacing what I need and using it I can buy good primer, foundation and prestige brands and spend $200 for the year on actual makeup if that. Haircare products buyng jumbo sizes at the salon $125-$150 for the year. By simply using my stockpile and using things to it is gone I have saved so much money If I do buy something unsatisfactory I use the return policy and return or exchange it.

Good hair and makeup matter to me. For budget reasons I cut out pedicures and do my own at home and have average skill. I set a limit of two new polishes a year but would purchase another if I needed it not simply for variety. My finger nails are now very healthy and I simply buff them with a four sided buffer as I think a high shine looks elegant, argan oil is great to use on the nail bed and cuticles.  I rarely get a salon conditioning treatment and do my own at home to save money. I learned to tint my brows at home and find tweezers do as good of a job as waxing if you are consistent.  I do indulge in an occasional massage and ask my husband for gift massage certificates for occasions as the place I frequent does special packages for mothers day and other holidays.

I'm sure in the future I will have some higher expenses. I own a clairisonic and other devices. I would like to try some of the high tech products out now but it isn't in my budget now.

My recommendation wouldn't be to load up on drugstore products as that is more spending but to simply purchase what you need and use it up or discard when expired before purchasing more. No one needs hundreds of eyeshadows or dozens of blushers and I have been there. Make meaningful purchases and perhaps set your own budget that works for you.

If beauty treatments mean a lot to you and you can afford them then do so but don't sacrifice savings, etc.