Respected Contributor

Also try sallys beauty supply.  they are inbeetween drugstore and high end. I have never been dissapointed. I love the 180pro shampoo and its made by the same company that makes Joico

Regular Contributor

Every few months I buy the Sunday paper for hair color coupons.  I used to go to a salon but I had to do so more often the more gray I became.  Now I color my own hair every other weekend.  It seems like a lot but I like not showing roots all the time.  I've mostly settled on Clarol and Revlon.  It's usually in the range of $6 a box so i do it more often than I would at a salon.  I'd recommend researching the color terms (ash, neutral, etc), start with a non-permanent type, and buy a box of gloves at Walmart/Sams.  Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Beauty spending redux

[ Edited ]

I think this is a great topic!  I am exactly the same - makeup/skin care/beauty products are my vice.  But, things have happened this year that have made me re-evaluate how & on what I spend my money.  Shopping your stash is an excellent suggestion.  Buying travel sizes on eBay is excellent as well.  What I would suggest is seeking out a few beauty bloggers who are honest in their reviews, and start following them.  There are a few that I follow religiously, and their reviews of products have saved me so much money.  Here is who I follow (hover over the names & click the links):

Musings of a Muse

Temptalia

Nouveau Cheap ~ blogger who finds awesome deals, sales & freebies on beauty

Makeup & Beauty Blog

Those are the four that I trust implicity and know that they will give an honest review.  All four do high-end and budget brand reviews.

I hope that this has helped!!

Valued Contributor
Great idea about honest bloggers. I also like Angie of "hot & flashy", I feel her reviews are honest too. My skin and coloring is similar to hers, so if she really likes something it usually works really well for me. She reviews skin care, makeup, and her results from procedures so it's pretty comprehensive.
Respected Contributor

Some of my favorite inexpensive brands are Physicians Formula, Wet N Wild and e.l.f. I really like the eyeshadows from Wet n Wild and e.l.f. I've read that us women should  use a matte eyeshadow when we get older, but I actually think that matte shadows accentuate the crepiness that is developing on my eyelids and I prefer a bit of shimmer, I think it camoflagues things a bit. e.l.f. makes nice nail polish also. I also like Physicians Formula eyeliners, the shimmer strips sets of 3 for about $12. I also like Ulta house brand gel eyeliner pencils. Both brands glide on nicely without tugging. PF are the automatic liners and the Ulta liners have to be sharpened, but I like both. I'm liking PF foundations too, they seem to be just as good as more expensive ones. If you have a Rite aid near you PF products are on sale all the time too, either BOGO half off, or a percent off. 

Respected Contributor

I also wanted to add, I've been using SKINN cosmetics for skin care. He usually has at least one or two TTV every month and his prices are very reasonable when he has kits on sale. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, certain products are worth the price and others are not.  For example, I will not buy expensive mascara because I don't think it's better.  It's really the brush that makes the difference, and you can get a cheap mascara with a good brush.

Eyeliner and lip balm also don't warrant a higher price, IMO, though if there's a specific UNUSUAL color you want in an eyeliner, buy it. 

I will spend more for foundation, but my IT CC cream that I got in the double size two years ago still has another year or more in it.  I'll buy cheap and more expensive lipsticks.  It all depends on whether the formula and color of a more expensive brand warrant the extra expense.

For hair care, you can't beat Wen's CC, though I use coconut oil and not his expensive oils.  I tried the fig oil years ago.  Not only did it smell bad, but I didn't see a big difference between that and other oils.  Trader Joe's has a nice jojoba oil you can use on your hair that's fragrance free.  If you want to make the Wen last longer, shampoo sometimes and then use Wen as a leave-in. 

As for skin care, I don't spend a lot on cleansers, but I avoid drugstore serums.  I use Elysee's red and blue serums.  The more expensive cleansers I have were all purchased as part of special deals.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Meowingkitty...I can only speak for myself, but my DH & I definitely save $$. He is very frugal in fact. I don't sacrifice our savings plan to spend on beauty products. That wouldn't sit well with my DH. It sounds as if you assume that those who spend money on beauty treatments & products don't save.  Simply not tue.

I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is $7200 a year on beauty is a bit much and even though you have it to spend and maybe do save money anyway there will come a day when you will wish you had that money tucked away. Whether for a kids college, early retirement, forced retirement, illness, a nice trip whatever life throws at you and $7200 over 10 years is a lot of cash. 

@Meowingkitty...Perhaps the OP HAS $7200 in her budget to spend on beauty. If not, then perhaps she should re-prioritize. None so us know what her budget is; therefore, we should not tell her how much is too much. $600 a month may be nothing for her; whereas, it may be a fortune to others. We should all focus on our own family budget and leave everyone else's.one.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Meowingkitty...I can only speak for myself, but my DH & I definitely save $$. He is very frugal in fact. I don't sacrifice our savings plan to spend on beauty products. That wouldn't sit well with my DH. It sounds as if you assume that those who spend money on beauty treatments & products don't save.  Simply not tue.

I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is $7200 a year on beauty is a bit much and even though you have it to spend and maybe do save money anyway there will come a day when you will wish you had that money tucked away. Whether for a kids college, early retirement, forced retirement, illness, a nice trip whatever life throws at you and $7200 over 10 years is a lot of cash. 

@Meowingkitty...Perhaps the OP HAS $7200 in her budget to spend on beauty. If not, then perhaps she should re-prioritize. None so us know what her budget is; therefore, we should not tell her how much is too much. $600 a month may be nothing for her; whereas, it may be a fortune to others. We should all focus on our own family budget and leave everyone else's.one.

With all due respect, the OP DID state that in order to move to the neighborhood that they are eyeing she would essentially have to cut back on her spending so she did bring in her budget into the conversation, the implication being that she could not afford to continue spending that much AND move to the more desirable neighborhood.

Normally I  do agree we shouldn't worry about or discuss  what others are spending their money on but when it is brought up you cannot expect others not to discuss it. Perhaps OP should have left that part out if she didn't want people discussing it and simply asked what drugstore products people like?