Honored Contributor

I agree with the poster who said try Ebay for makeup products that you want to try, unless you can get a free sample. That way you know if you like it well enough to buy fullsize. I try a lot of makeup that way, and mos of the time I don't like it enough to purchase. I am shopping from my huge makeup stash and vowed not to purchase anything other than Lipstick, and mascara and of course skincare as I run out, but other than that I am not going to keep trying the latest and greates because I am usually dissappointed. I know at my age what I like and I am sticking to it! I am sure I will fall off the wagon sometimes, but bottom line is I spent way too much money on makeup and I decided at my age-time to stop! I want to be able to retire one day soon! LOL! Good luck to you!  

Esteemed Contributor
I only allow myself the it cc cream and one regular foundation. I just purchased the TARTE rainforest foundation because my Loreal tru match is like 5 years old and needs to be thrown out. Use the stuff you have first and throw out stuff you don't like or haven't used in awhile.
Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

I would recommend using what you have.  Shop your own beauty products - and only replenish your skincare or hair care when it runs out.

Looking for more affordable products is just an excuse to shop.  At the end of the day, you only have two eyes, two cheeks, and one pair of lips. 

Shop for something new only twice a year:  spring/summer and fall/winter.

ITA, especially with the sentence I bolded.

I think that some of us can easily get a bit compulsive in this area. And truly, it doesn't matter what your financial status or whether you need to be saving money or not.

If shopping for anything, beauty or otherwise, is taking up an inordinate amount of time as well as money, if you're never satisfied and have to keep purchasing and purchasing, if you get a little high on buying and let down afterwards only to rinse/spit'/repeat, it's time to reevaluate what's really going on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

If you have someone who can color your hair at home I suggest Herbatint.It costs about 9.00 dollars and doesn't have a lot of chemicals.

It is the best harcolor I have tried in 30 years.I get tons of compliments when I use chestnut copper.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes cutting back on spending doesn't mean you have to give up your life's luxuries. It might just take a little tweaking of what you really need.  Simplify your routine to achieve a somewhat similar end-result. Elimination without sacrifice is good.Woman Happy You have to figure out what is important to you and how you want to see yourself in the days, weeks and months to come. Once you realize that you can live with this change...keep doing it! And if there's something you absolutely can't live without then so be it.Woman Happy Be happy.

Honored Contributor

@StillRachB

My response is probably not what you want to hear, but I am not obsessed with beauty so I take "shortcuts."

I have quite a few allergies and asthma, so I limit my exposure to chemicals. I have had some serious bouts of contact dermatitis as well, and I can only identify a few "offenders."  Each time I try a new product there is a potential for a reaction, so I stick to what I know works.  I can't tell you how long it has been since I have owned nail polish or remover, for example.  If I had something fancy, I would probably buff my nails with a special board to bring out the shine.

I bought a bottle of hair spray about four years ago for a funeral, and have probably used 1/10 of the bottle.  I do not own a curling iron, flat iron, and I use my hair dryer more often for crafts than for drying my hair.  

I do use PTR skin care, which is not the cheapest out there, but my skin looks good and I haven't had any reactions. This is my "splurge."  I usually get his TSV in January, when he has a new one (about every two years).

I would recommend finding dual duty products-

• conditioner that can also be used for shaving (I epilate, so I don't have to worry about razors/cream)
  • argan oil for frizzy ends and as a moisturizer
  • argan lip stain for lips and cheeks

I have saved a lot of money (and irritation) from doing two things:

1) using olive oil/castor oil blended together for face cleansing

2) washing my hair with baking soda and conditioning with ACV

My skin is happy, my hair looks good, and I don't have excess product hanging around.  I can make up a new batch as I need it.  

I have considered making my own deodorant (I use Tom's now), but so far I haven't tried it.

You can also make your own scrubs with things you probably already have, like sugar, coconut oil, olive oil, and baking soda.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty spending redux

[ Edited ]

@meginthemaking wrote:

If I were in your shoes, I would re-evaluate and shop your stash first. Toss or give away what doesn't work and start from there.

I try to rotate my beauty and skincare products, which helps. I'll admit I have found things that I forgot I even had. 

I agree, as well. Organize what you have, first. I say this because I've noticed that I sometimes buy duplicates of things without knowing I'm doing it. I buy the same color in different brands/versions.

I was also buying new things, always in search of the perfect one. But I realized that I had a dozen blushes and only use 4 of them. That was a lot of money spent getting nothing out of it. I also stopped buying items I know I won't use or get a lot of value from. I no longer buy palettes full of colors like blue and purple eye shadows when I wear neutrals 90% of the time.

I decided I would rather have a smaller collection of things I love, use, and get value out of instead of having so many things I don't even know what I have and things that never get used.

Honored Contributor

I would stick with the Paula's Choice skincare. It's high-end effectiveness at a reasonable price. She has frequent 20% off sales, so I would look for those and try to buy only when there's a sale. And go through the MrRebates for extra savings.

There are some great drugstore products on the market.

Primers: Revlon PhotoReady Primer, L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, L'Oreal Magic Lumi Primer, ELF makes a great eye primer

Eye Shadows: Wet N Wild makes shadows that rival department store brands.

Blushes: CoverGirl Cheekers blushes are very good

Lips: Milani makes fantastic lipsticks in many formulas and their glosses are also very good. 

ColorPop also makes great shadows, lip products, and highlighters. You can buy them online.

Maybelline makes great finishing powders and I love Covergirl mascaras. Clump Crusher is my favorite.

Respected Contributor

Best drugstore cheap shampoo/conditioner is suave professionals. I spend a lot of money on salon brands but I still fall back on suave. Keratin infusion, Macadamia & white orchid, Coconut oil  versions. I am suprised to say I like them more than many salon brands.

As far as makeup I do not believe in expensive brands. to me  they are all the same but I like almay eyeshadow that is based on your eye color and their skin matching makeup.

E.L.F.  is as cheap as they get and they have really good products.  I like the tinted moisterizer  and blush

Valued Contributor
Honestly I wouldn't dismiss high end. I find I can blow as much money on drugstore makeup because I don't go to counter so there are more "oopsies", colors that aren't quite right, don't last, poor texture, etc. or I'm seduced by how cheap something is. I know I can return drugstore products at some stores but I never seem to unless something makes my skin angry. what works for me is having a very well-edited makeup kit of colors and textures that you know work great for you plus knowledge of how to tweak your routine to transition from day to night with just a few additional products. with that said, I like maybelline age rewind eye brightener, loreal double extend tube mascara, Sonia Kashuk lipsticks, blush and eyeshadows, Milani eye primer, maybelline gel eyeliner, and the new cover girl "nudes" palettes. I also like loreal lumi foundation (pump bottle) too, but it didn't displace IT CC cream as my daily go to. I used to like the loreal infallible eyeshadows but it seems to emphasize eyelid crepiness now. I recently went through a massive makeup and skincare purge and you won't believe how great it feels to have a pared down kit.