Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty...I can only speak for myself, but my DH & I definitely save $$. He is very frugal in fact. I don't sacrifice our savings plan to spend on beauty products. That wouldn't sit well with my DH. It sounds as if you assume that those who spend money on beauty treatments & products don't save.  Simply not tue.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

$600 a month?!?!?!   Just think if you'd put that money into investments or a savings account.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

My recommendation for you is to continue with your purchase of Paula's Choice skincare, as it is a product line that really works at a great price point. Then I would highly recommend you check out her Beautypedia reviews for whatever makeup you are looking for, as we don't know your coloring or skin type. I check out her recommendations & have my favorites logged so that I always look my "my favs" when I go shopping for makeup. Good luck in your search.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Meowingkitty...I can only speak for myself, but my DH & I definitely save $$. He is very frugal in fact. I don't sacrifice our savings plan to spend on beauty products. That wouldn't sit well with my DH. It sounds as if you assume that those who spend money on beauty treatments & products don't save.  Simply not tue.

I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is $7200 a year on beauty is a bit much and even though you have it to spend and maybe do save money anyway there will come a day when you will wish you had that money tucked away. Whether for a kids college, early retirement, forced retirement, illness, a nice trip whatever life throws at you and $7200 over 10 years is a lot of cash. 

Frequent Contributor
I am amazed how ladies on this forum ask for advice and we throw cold water on them!!!! I am sending you a hug and encouragement! My best tip is to look for your fav products on eBay. I have bought countless favorites this way and they arrive in perfect new condition and with quick shipping. Today I am anxiously awaiting OPI lipsticks in my fav shades that are discontinued and I got them at a great price. Wishing you the best!
Frequent Contributor
Another tip. If you have a CVC pharmacy sign up for their beauty club. You will get many coupons on cosmetics and skin care and money back for shopping.
Respected Contributor

@StillRachB wrote:
Thank you for your concern but to be honest, I'm not looking for advice on how to spend, or not to spend, my hard earned money. I'm looking for alternative, less costly products.

Me too.  Always.  It's more about not being ripped off.  More costly does not mean best value.  But, there is no way even with all I purchase that I spend 600 a month on makeup and skincare products.  Add haircare in that too.  I don't feel I have to. 

Esteemed Contributor
I agree with the shop your stash. Quit spending until you use something up. You have to have so many products in your stash. When a foundation runs out then maybe try something new. Or like that post said get something new in the spring and something in the fall.

And I think it's rude to say doneone is t saving of putting money back for emergencies just because they are spending to much.
Respected Contributor

my suggestion about hair color, if you feel you can continue to afford it and like your stylist/colorist and you love the way your color looks, stay with salon.  you" wear" your hair every day. its worth every penny to have beautiful, shiny hair.  the other stuff like makeup, i use drugstore mostly.   have never been a prestige makeup junkie.  mostly its all about the packaging and marketing.

Super Contributor

If I were in your shoes, I would re-evaluate and shop your stash first. Toss or give away what doesn't work and start from there.

I try to rotate my beauty and skincare products, which helps. I'll admit I have found things that I forgot I even had.