Super Contributor

Beauty spending redux

[ Edited ]

Well, as a double income, no kids (for now) couple, my husband and I spend lots of money every month. I spend A LOT on beauty items...hair care, skincare, makeup, experimenting and trying new products. Other than my Maybelline mascaras, I tend to buy high-end, expensive prestige makeup and haircare. I also have my hair colored once a month at $80 a pop (including tip.) For now, I will not give up my Josie Maran body butters (but I'm well stocked for a good year) or Paula's Choice skincare. In addition to buying less, I want to be more frugal with what I do purchase. That being said, I need to know your favorite drugstore brands and dupes of makeup and haircare/permanent hair color, and any other beauty products you love.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around spending $600 a month on beauty products. And that has nothing to do with my financial status.

I do wish you luck in your new endeavor.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
@suzyQ3 I work hard and like to treat myself. But my priorities are changing.
Honored Contributor

Between waxing, hair, nails, pedicures and beauty product spending, it can add up.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@StillRachB

Since you inquired about powder foundation in the thread about the "toothbrush foundation brushes", I'll start with that. I like Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation. I haven't tried my "toothbrush" with it yet, though. Smiley Wink I'll be watching for more responses as I'm also trying to be frugal in my beauty spending.

Super Contributor
@Texasmouse I love how you refer to it as "toothbrush"
Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@StillRachB

Since you inquired about powder foundation in the thread about the "toothbrush foundation brushes", I'll start with that. I like Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation. I haven't tried my "toothbrush" with it yet, though. Smiley Wink I'll be watching for more responses as I'm also trying to be frugal in my beauty spending.

I use ELF HD loose powder and apply with Real Technique sponge that is a frugal alternative to the Beauty Blender sponge. I se the loose powder has a finishing powder over my foundation or ELF BB cream.

Real Techniques website has a video on different products you can apply using their sponge.

Esteemed Contributor

Please try to cut back on what you are spending on beauty products. When you are older and sick of working and want to quit or get laid off at the age of 50 and can't find a job but you have to work because you don't have any money saved you'll wish you didn't spend so much on beauty products. 

Super Contributor
Thank you for your concern but to be honest, I'm not looking for advice on how to spend, or not to spend, my hard earned money. I'm looking for alternative, less costly products.
Valued Contributor

Don't buy high end products.  If you want drugstore brands go to a drugstore.