Respected Contributor

Beauty products found in Canada

Hey beauties! I'm planning a trip to Canada this summer and I want to make a list of things to buy for my beauty arsenal. Now and then, I'll read a post that will mention a product (or an ingredient in a product) that isn't found here but can be purchased in Canada. Even the Beautypedia website mentions some products that are found there but are different as the American version. One thing I've already got on my list is Preparation H because the Canadian version apparently still has the ingredient in it that helps reduce puffiness under the eyes, whereas it's been taken out in our version here. Any and all suggestions are welcome! TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty products found in Canada

check out the CN Sephora, which carries items not sold here in US. You can go online to CAN Sephora site to check it out first.

Respected Contributor

I'm hoping @TY will weigh in, since she lives there. 😃

Frequent Contributor

Are you just looking at Beauty products, lots of drugs that are prescription State side are over the counter in Canada

Respected Contributor

@calexand

You're welcome to chime in on those too! I guess I just have to be careful with bringing back some things because I'm sure there are categories that are regulated as far as bringing them across the border, I would imagine.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse

@Texasmouse wrote:

I'm hoping @TY will weigh in, since she lives there. 😃

For over the counter, you can buy 4% hydroquinone Neostrata at a pharmacy like London Drugs or Shoppers Drug Mart, you need to ask the pharmacist for it as its kept behind the counter. I think a tube is about $40 CDN or so.

What is not cheaper in Canada is Minoxidil or the generic version. 2% is the maximum strength OTC in Canada and 2 bottles at Costco is about $50. Get it much cheaper in the U.S. At Walmart or Target.

You can buy Marcelle, Annabelle, and Lise Watier cosmetics and skin care at London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart, those are Canadian skin care and makeup brands all owned my Marcelle. Marcelle leaves color and fragrance out of their skincare. Look at the rest of Neostrata also at London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart.

If you like Korean skincare, visit a T&T Supermarket as they sell a lot of expensive Korean skin care but they also sell $1 Dermal sheet masks which are at the checkout lines.

Sephora stores are in Canada but I think that American ones are better stocked and the price is better. You can accumulate points if you have their beauty insider card when you make purchases in Canada or the U.S.

If you like Joe Fresh makeup or Quo makeup, go to Shoppers Drug Mart for them. Joe Fresh is also carried at Loblaws and the Canadian Superstore grocery stores. There is also a lot of Joe Fresh fast fashion at the Canadian Superstore.

For Canadian clothing stores in malls, there's Cleo, Reitmans, Le Chateau, R.W. Co. Hudson's Bay carries a lot of what you would see at Macy's and Lord and Taylor in the U.S. And don't forget to check out Winners, Marshall's and Homesense as these are TJX owned stores like T.J. Maxx, Homegoods, and Marshall's in the U.S. You might see some Korean skin care and masks there that you want to try. Their beauty section varies just like it does in the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@calexand

You're welcome to chime in on those too! I guess I just have to be careful with bringing back some things because I'm sure there are categories that are regulated as far as bringing them across the border, I would imagine.

@Texasmouse

Yes, for example aspirin with codeine and caffeine and Tylenol (acetominphen) with codeine and caffeine are both OTC in Canada and I think you can only bring 50 pills per person back into the U.S. Lots of pharmacies only carry the 100 pills per bottle size. You have to ask for these meds at the pharmacy counter too as they keep them behind the counter. A bottle of 100 pills is about $10 CDN.

Respected Contributor

@TY

Thank you for your detailed recommendations! I appreciate your taking the time to respond. 😃

Frequent Contributor

Decongestants, cough syrups with decong that are prescription state side are not in Canada. etc. pricing on products vary between countries significantly The Cdn Vs US dollar.