Respected Contributor

Perhaps some of the hosts should give customers a little reminder when reviewing beauty products!

Was just reading some and both of my pet peeves were present.

One is that the jars are underfilled and they are getting ripped off.  No, you're not!  Product can settle all different ways (especially in hot weather), making it LOOK like it isn't filled all the way.  Other times it is by design that the whole jar is not filled.  It is RARE to get a jar that is truly underfilled.  Why don't people know this???

The other is reviewing a product and saying that you've only had it a day and can't really tell if it does anything.  Why on God's green earth would you review it then?????  It tells the reader NOTHING if you say it's too soon to tell!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Or how about (and it's not beauty but ...) "purchased this item and it's beautiful but I'm sending it back because i can purchase it in a brick and mortar store at a much cheaper price."  Why the heck would someone buy it in the first place???

Honored Contributor

I don't doubt that some people receive jars of product that are not filled with the stated amount of product. The only way you would know for sure is, if you weighed the jar it came in and added the product and weighed it again. I'm assuming these creams, etc. are filled via machine and if they don't have good quality control sometimes an under filled jar gets by. I can tell pretty much the first time I use I product if It's going to work for me. Makeup, creams, lotions and potions are pretty much a subjective experience for me.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't doubt that some people receive jars of product that are not filled with the stated amount of product. The only way you would know for sure is, if you weighed the jar it came in and added the product and weighed it again. I'm assuming these creams, etc. are filled via machine and if they don't have good quality control sometimes an under filled jar gets by. I can tell pretty much the first time I use I product if It's going to work for me. Makeup, creams, lotions and potions are pretty much a subjective experience for me.

So you actually believe people are getting less product than the jar states?  Maybe on a rare occasion.  But many jars are larger than the amount of product put in it.  I'm sure there are manufacturing reasons for this. 

Wish the hosts would mention this once in awhile!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

On the comments from reviewers who say the jar was half full--they could be thinking that the jar is going to  be filled as it is on the on-air presentation.  Those jars of product are "topped-off" with product from an additional jar to bring it to the rim top. I would imagine many customers think they will receive a jar with product to the top???  Maybe touches on deceptive marketing-JMHO. 

Respected Contributor

I remember Mary Beth once doing a presentation on Josie Maran's whipped body butter. She explaned about the product settling, turned the jar upside down, tapped it on the table and it appeared completely full when she opened it. That was the only time I ever saw it explained much less with a good demonstration. By the way, it works!

Respected Contributor

A couple weeks ago I received a jar of cleansing balm from Elemis.

It has been super hot here in Illinois, and I'm sure other places too.

I did not open it until later on in the evening.  When opened, it was stuck upside down all the way to one side.  So one side of the jar was full to the top and the other side had nothing in it.  It had no doubt melted and settled that way.

We have no idea what goes on during shipping!  The manufacturer may actually do it on purpose for that very reason.

It might be a good idea to prevent returns and mention that the jars are filled in different ways!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@kjae wrote:

On the comments from reviewers who say the jar was half full--they could be thinking that the jar is going to  be filled as it is on the on-air presentation.  Those jars of product are "topped-off" with product from an additional jar to bring it to the rim top. I would imagine many customers think they will receive a jar with product to the top???  Maybe touches on deceptive marketing-JMHO. 

That's a great point.

I am not sure they do it to deceive, but to show what the product will look like too.

Hyacinth