Contributor

I find it amusing that QVC and every store carries tons of so called "beauty" products. Not one of them can actually work or there wouldn't be a need for so many. The "beauty" gurus are taking advantage of women every where and making money from stuff that ends up in the bottom of the drawer when the "next new thing" come out. Also without trying to offend others, I also find it hard to beleive that some of the women and men who sell beauty are not so beautiful themselves. Do I want to look like these "gurus"?  Not a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beauty on QVC

[ Edited ]

I can appreciate what you are saying, but women aren't being  taken advantage of; they are freely choosing to purchase beauty products. Women are creating the demand. It's just free market

commerce in action.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty on QVC

[ Edited ]

Not every product works for everyone and as technology advances there are many more products.  I don't believe women are being taken advantage of and everyone can buy or not. Some don't care to try them and that's their choice but I want to feel and look the best I can so I choose to use and try new products even though I have found products that work well for me and have made a huge difference in the feel and look of my skin.  It's not about transforming  into a raving beauty (real beauty comes from within) as everyone's looks are different and labeling anyone who developes and/or sells or even uses them as "are not so beautiful themselves" is really unnecessarily judgemental. If you don't want to use any products that might just improve the look of your skin don't but don't try to make others seem stupid by saying they are being taken advantage of if they like and use these products that work for them!!  FYI - just by using a product sold by someone you find "not so beautiful" will not make you look like them - you will still look like yourself but quite possibly much better!!!

Honored Contributor

@September13Sounds to me like the old "kill the messenger" idea.

Women are lured by the availability and possibility of the beauty products, but at some point we also have to bear plenty of personal responsibility and just say "NO," or at least admit we DECIDED to try again without blaming someone else.

I certainly have been guilty of silly beauty spending -  still am some would say -- but I know no one else controls my spending and finally I can say I use what I buy and that makes buying it okay with me.

Super Contributor

i agree that it is a woman's choice to buy a product or not, however, the overwhelming pressure to look young is so pervasive, and unrelenting that it is difficult not to buy. I am older-65- and had to stop watching beauty shows due to the constant focus =and negative focus - on older women and lines, sagging, etc. It just made me feel bad about myself. and I also felt an impulse to order!quickly! so that I too could look like the after. Looking like the after never really happened for me. 

It feels like shaming the older woman for natural aging,that is just my opinion. I am sure the vendors would say they want to help. I think they want the baby boomers money.

so- no more watching beauty shows for me. 

Dimitri is the worse, pulling on the older models face saying -mushy mushy and I just cant watch anymore.

Respected Contributor

I'm not getting suckered into anything. My skin is dry, and I am thankful for moisturizer, eye cream and body lotion. I am double thankful for foundation and concealer. I look 10x's better with it on. Yesterday I put on maybelline concealer and loreal blur foundation and smiled.  Makes me happy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the OP  that is why I only use JM Argan oil for everything . Argan oil and thats all!

Honored Contributor

@September13 wrote:

I find it amusing that QVC and every store carries tons of so called "beauty" products. Not one of them can actually work or there wouldn't be a need for so many. The "beauty" gurus are taking advantage of women every where and making money from stuff that ends up in the bottom of the drawer when the "next new thing" come out. Also without trying to offend others, I also find it hard to beleive that some of the women and men who sell beauty are not so beautiful themselves. Do I want to look like these "gurus"?  Not a chance.

So your choices are a few miracle products that do everything for everyone or nothing can possibly work? That's not logical.

Are there products that work miracles and make you look 20 when you're 80? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean that nothing works. 

And having options also doesn't mean nothing works. People have different needs, different skin, different reactions, etc. I don't need gluten-free anything, but some people do. I don't like fragrance on my face, but some people do. New innovation happens all the time to change products as well. There's also capitalism, which means that once someone finds something that does work, 3 dozen other companies will make something similar. Again, that doesn't mean nothing works.

There's a huge gap between nothing working and miracles happening and between being a complete sucker and being a smart shopper. 

Honored Contributor

I have many that "work."  How do I know?  If I stop using them for a few days the lines and wrinkles are much more pronounced.  I won't say these products make them disappear completely, but I look 100% better using them. 

Respected Contributor

i have some products that i use that make my skin look better and it's too bad that you haven't found anything that works for you.