Respected Contributor

Yesterday I spontaneously decided to organize my very disorganized beuty stash which takes up significant real estate inside my linen closet.  I had taken to just throwing things into the big boxes I keep stuff in and it was a total mess. I took great and unexpected delight in throwing away so many things!  Cleansers I no longer like, moisturizers that had separated (those Serious Skincare creams really don't age well in my closet), hair products that suck, etc.  I even tackled under the bathroom sink which had descended into chaos.  Now all my beauty stuff is so organized and I know what I have (and what I thought I had, but don't).  I feel like a new woman!  Perhaps there will be a second act where I get rid of even more stuff.  I don't know why but I have so much facial oils and I'm not even using them much these days. 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Yesterday I spontaneously decided to organize my very disorganized beuty stash which takes up significant real estate inside my linen closet.  I had taken to just throwing things into the big boxes I keep stuff in and it was a total mess. I took great and unexpected delight in throwing away so many things!  Cleansers I no longer like, moisturizers that had separated (those Serious Skincare creams really don't age well in my closet), hair products that suck, etc.  I even tackled under the bathroom sink which had descended into chaos.  Now all my beauty stuff is so organized and I know what I have (and what I thought I had, but don't).  I feel like a new woman!  Perhaps there will be a second act where I get rid of even more stuff.  I don't know why but I have so much facial oils and I'm not even using them much these days. 

@Grouchomarx   Good for you. Doesn't it feel great to be organized and find products easily?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx   Good for you. Doesn't it feel great to be organized and find products easily?

Yes it does!  Just knowing my inventory is so helpful.  I though I had a backup of an eye serum I've been using lately and it turns out I don't.

Respected Contributor

I did this last month, and Oh My Gosh...The stuff I had, and tossed!  YES!  That felt so good when I was all done!Smiley Happy

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

I really need to do the same - and start in my shower. It's lovely to hear how good your own purge made you feel, @Grouchomarx. Thank you for the inspiration! I think I'll drag a trash can and a recycle bin into my bathroom and give it a go.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Yes it does!  Just knowing my inventory is so helpful.  I though I had a backup of an eye serum I've been using lately and it turns out I don't.

@Grouchomarx 

Precisely!  And once you figure out what you have, what you like and what really works, you can take your linen closet back.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I think I've leared a valuable lesson from all this.  Stop hoarding things even if they are items you are using daily and love. Because eventually, I stop using something and switch to another product and sometimes I don't go back to the first thing and it just sits there.  This has happened with too many things.  I'm always tempted when I see an item I use on some great "deal".  I need to stop taking the bait.  Even if I have to pay a higher price later when the "deal" is over, I'll probably save money in the long run if I end up throwing stuff out a year or two or three later. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watch a lot of beauty youtubers who have so much makeup and skincare products that they really have no idea of what they own or how old it is. Some now are using spreadsheets to inventory their beauty stash. I inventory my beauty products through an Adobe digital photo album. That way I know when I bought the items. I also started to look up batch codes and PAO and add that info to the photos descriptions so I know when an item should be used up or tossed out.

What I’ve noticed generally is that new beauty products to the market were manufactured anywhere from 3 monthes to a year before it ever was offered for sale so the products are already aging. 

Now I only have backups of items I use up quicky like shampoos and conditioners.

For me, the items that go bad quickly tend to be lipsticks and foundations.

Honored Contributor

Donate items still useable to Good will etc.  someone will love getting it....❤️

Super Contributor

I just did the same thing last weekend @Grouchomarx and man did I feel accomplished when I finished!  I used to receive a few monthly beauty subscription services and amassed quite a collection of "stuff".  It took some time, but I finally realized I liked the thrill of receiving items more than actually trying them!  Put a stop to that quick!  Now, if I see something I want to try, or just want a little goodie in the mail, I'll browse eBay for a sample of it.  This has saved me a lot of frustration, not to mention money, on things I though I'd love, but ended up not being thrilled with.  

And you are so right about not stocking up so much, even on things we like.  Even in brands I love, once in a while I'm compelled to switch and then I have an inventory left behind that I no longer want.  Now I try to buy only as needed, or maybe one extra if I must.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~