Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty/fashion magazines

So if I'm understanding this issue, any deviation from the norm -- males wearing makeup, articles that have the audacity to be about something other than beauty occasionally, any social messages  -- are ruining the magazines for some.

Odd because many so-called beauty magazines have always included content that could be construed as message-driven -- a worthy addition to beauty and apparel, IMO.

I think the OP's subtext is to decrie the horrors of gender-bending. Perhaps she and others who feel this way are no longer the demographics for these magazines.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped subscribing to any fashion magazine when I discovered (talking 20  years plus) that leading cosmetic houses were using 11 and 12 year olds as their skincare models in their ad campaigns. I also didn't like supporting the negative body image that the magazines show so... I voted with my wallet.

One of the most disgusting ads was by CHANEL for their fragrance CHANCE when it first launched. The original model was 12; when it became known, CHANEL had two options: pull the campaign or replace the model with one over 18 due to the body shots. The company never issued a statement or apologized for using a minor in those pictures. I haven't purchased a CHANEL product since.

Edited because autocorrect placed some funky words in this post, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Poodlepet2   There used to be 2 publications for my age group that are now defunct, MORE and MIRABELLA. Anyone remember those? They used to have ongoing wardrobe building ideas for the over 40/50 group, models were not 16 & I really enjoyed both. I assume there wasn't enough of us to keep them in print. Merci.

@Shanus,I took More when I had a child in elementary school because it was geared to working moms.

If you enjoy fashion oriented that is a little more grown up, I love Bazaar.

Honored Contributor

Seems that More lives online now. But for those not wanting any message, I would steer clear of their current homepage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  That's not the same publication. The magazine MORE as referred to is @moremag if you want to see anything about it. There are postings from 2016.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3@  That's not the same publication. The magazine MORE as referred to is @moremag if you want to see anything about it. There are postings from 2016.

@SahmIam, I went to MoreMag on FB, and the link directs me to more.com, which is the site I referenced.

If you have a direct link to anything else, let me know.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Just received the February issue of "Allure" magazine.

There is a trend happening that is leaving me ready not to get any of them from now on.  I have cancelled my subscription to "Vogue" magazine and also get InStyle.

There seems to be thoughts that women want to see men modeling make up and women's clothes.  I cannot relate to either of these concepts.  Much of it is in ads, but Vogue puts men in women's clothes in photo shoots. 

There is also political agenda included.  I don't look for that in fashion or beauty magazines.  I can get it elsewhere.

I just want to read about skin care, make up, hair, clothes, etc.  I don't want social causes in that.

Hyacinth

Once Linda Wells was terminated as editor in chief I saw a rapid decline in the content of the magazine. They are clearly trying to appeal to a different demographic. As far as political leanings, I saw nothing to suggest that...

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Poodlepet2   There used to be 2 publications for my age group that are now defunct, MORE and MIRABELLA. Anyone remember those? They used to have ongoing wardrobe building ideas for the over 40/50 group, models were not 16 & I really enjoyed both. I assume there wasn't enough of us to keep them in print. Merci.

@Shanus  Yes, I was really suprised they stopped More. 

Respected Contributor

Sahmlam you hit the nail on the head with the models: I had no expectations of what I might see in Vogue Paris, but there is no mistaking : the models they use are women.  Those same Fashion Houses use girls here and the UK.

As tall and thin as they are, they look like very young girls....I've often thought to myself, " What 13 yr old wears an $8k outfit? There is just nothing believable about it. The settings are beautiful and artistic, but it's not even in the realm of a beautiful fantasy.

Still, I enjoy the articles-many of them do educate and address pertinent issues to women.

I have always loved art and fashion ( never mind the fact that my closet is very pedestrian), but years ago I took a couple of art history courses as electives.  What I really learned is that styles-including adornment for ourselves or homes- are tied to current events and are influenced by them.....but that doesn't mean I necessarily understand the rhyme or reason behind everything.  Diversity is the spice of life.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Shanus and ECBG, I do remember More and Mirabella: they were great magazines that catered to what I thought was a broad range of women.

ECBG, it's been ages since I saw Bazaar. I just looked it up:wow! I'm trying a trial subscription to see what it's about.

There were always shows I liked and watched on TV, but for the last two months, I just can't get into it.  I don't know what's going on with me: I would rather read, but I like to be current hence my renewed love affair with magazines....

Poodlepet2