Respected Contributor

Just received the February issue of "Allure" magazine.

There is a trend happening that is leaving me ready not to get any of them from now on.  I have cancelled my subscription to "Vogue" magazine and also get InStyle.

There seems to be thoughts that women want to see men modeling make up and women's clothes.  I cannot relate to either of these concepts.  Much of it is in ads, but Vogue puts men in women's clothes in photo shoots. 

There is also political agenda included.  I don't look for that in fashion or beauty magazines.  I can get it elsewhere.

I just want to read about skin care, make up, hair, clothes, etc.  I don't want social causes in that.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty/fashion magazines

Hyacinth, wanting to "get away from it all" yesterday, I splurged on the ezine of Vogue Paris. I speak a little French, but above all, I wanted to see photography and fashion.

Both American and British versions are kind of off the wall....I don't care who models, but the models in these two magazines look as if they are 13-14 (at least the majority) and what I noticed was the lack of makeup.....I argued with myself that it's done intentionally so that you notice the clothes....

Regarding the clothes? I don't even see how fashions being shown in these two magazines translate to retail-other than going shopping at the dollar store and salvage....

BUT Vogue Paris is amazing-and I thought it was really going to be crazy....For starters, the models were of legal age-young-but there was no guessing.  While our models look skeletal- I don't think they are starving, but I've seen young girls in that 13-14 age range that are super skinny: it's a constitutional thing.....but Vogue Paris?(VP for ease) Their models are still tall, but they have beautiful muscle definition as opposed to muscle wastage.

Here and the UK, no makeup on models....figure that one out. VP? Every model is wearing beautiful MU-not ridiculous-not alternative club scene. You can see the trends and how it's worn.

The clothes? Breathtaking. There will be women such as those in Town and Country-who will be buying and wearing the Parisian couture....I don't see American or Brithish trends making it....

The photography is breathtaking, and you can really see the craft of couture is still very much alive: and it's a "whole" vignette-like the Vogue editorials were, here, in the 80's and 90's.

I started reading an article last night about Lagerfeld, who fell out of favor with me, but I want to see how the French Press treats their icons.....

I do have Allure for entertainment-and it helps me to see the "youngsters'" perspective which is important to me-but it's not translatable to the more mature woman. It's entertainment.

There do not seem to be many publications that really cater to the more conservative woman. "In Style" is wonderful: I "get it". I get the e-edition and it's INTERACTIVE: going "shopping" through all the ads are half the fun!

I will continue to get my Vogues for fun-but I also look at them as a reflection of culture.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003

I just want my beauty and fashion without the political and social commentary too so I quit buying Vogue on the news stands and just get InStyle, People Stylewatch, and Fashion (a Canadian magazine). I also have a subscription to the Canadian Hello! magazine as they cover royalty. 

I will look through the British mags at the bookstore too.

Print mags in general are in trouble as people move to digital reading so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by ditching them.

Honored Contributor

I have always loved getting magazines and loved sitting down with a pile of them and a mug of tea and just getting lost in them!

I don't know if its because I am getting older, the changing times, or what, but I am also becoming disallusioned with a lot of them as well!  So many of the fashion magainzes are getting to be off the wall for me.  I cannot relate to the majority of the fashions, makeup, models, articles,etc.  I know they have to try and keep up with the times and remain "relevant" or they will no longer be in business but....

I have to agree with you to a big extent on what you have written.

I find myself getting less and less of these types of magazines and sticking to magazines such as Good Housekeeping, Family Circle, etc.  

Don't get me wring -- I love fashion, makeup, etc. but if what I am seeing in the magazines, I cannot relate to in any way, what is the point of me buying them?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003Political or social agenda? Please. It's called inclusivity. And I think it's wonderful that media outlets are including, and acknowledging, individuals who may not fit into what you consider the "norm." Just because someone doesn't prescribe to what society has deemed conventional, doesn't mean they shouldn't be entitled to be their authentic selves.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003  I agree. I've also noticed health, diet & exercise articles which I get in my SELF or WOMEN'S HEALTH magazines. I discontinued several of my subscriptions...just outgrew them yrs. ago...GLAMOUR, MARIE CLAIRE. I know VOGUE & BAZAAR have editorial photos but still not realistic for me to get any fashion ideas. They are too far out  and way too expensive. I keep them because, along w/ my professional jewelry journals, I try to stay a step ahead of trends, colors, styles and see what's new in jewelry. The styles shown (clothes & jewelry) are "big city" style. It takes 6 months to see any of it in NC, if ever.

Honored Contributor

I'm in my 60's, and I love the magazines. I realize that most are not written for my age group, and I'm fine with that. I don't yearn for the old days  where so many people were excluded from main stream publications. Younger people  seem more accepting of differences, and less conservative, and that gives me hope for the future. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2   There used to be 2 publications for my age group that are now defunct, MORE and MIRABELLA. Anyone remember those? They used to have ongoing wardrobe building ideas for the over 40/50 group, models were not 16 & I really enjoyed both. I assume there wasn't enough of us to keep them in print. Merci.

Respected Contributor

AngelPuppy, I was just on the Amazon newsstand-it's a dangerous place!  I like "trendy" and "fun" but I also enjoy magazines I can relate to. Australia and the UK has a couple of magazines we can relate to and I subscribed to a couple from both countries....I also get Scientific American, Nat Geo and more serious stuff, but I love seeing what goes on in domestic life in other parts of the world.

There was not a lot from Canada-I was kind of surprised. Their food magazines looked amazing though!

Would you believe Australia has a magazine dedicated to plastic surgery for consumers??? I have heard that Aussies are almost as obsessed as Brazilians....

It's fun just shopping and browsing...I picked up an Austrailan magazine that looks like it mirrors those that are always on the checkout line at the grocery: I can't wait to read it!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 I don't get any of those magazines, but I thank you for calling it to our attention.  So few things can be enjoyed these days without social messages.

Hope your daughter is doing better these days.