Esteemed Contributor

Beauty dupes are big business

Beauty dupes are big business according to an article on the Business of Fashion website.

https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/intelligence/behind-the-business-of-beauty-dupes

I have to admit that I won't pay a lot for something like a beauty palette and will wait for a duplicate to see if I'm interested or not. I like both the Maybelline Face Studio Master Class contour palette and the Rimmel Kate Sculpting contour palette but only for the blush and the bronzer -- I can leave the shimmer strobing powders behind. I would never pay a lot for a kit where I am only using some of the colors.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty dupes are big business

It's crazy that people sell these products that supposedly will reverse aging when they are in their 50's and up.

I'm the first to say I don't know a lot about it, but it isn't brain surgery to know if you have a lot of wrinkles, the only thing that is going to make a difference is to resurface or do a peel on the skin to see if that helps at all.

Makeup can only do so much.  At least many young people realize you can't really reverse the aging you've done by baking in the sun when you are young.  I think they do....some of them do anyway.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say in my new "Wired" Magazine they did a big article on why people sit for a long time and watch the videos of people applying makeup.  I haven't read the article yet (and probably won't) but I saved it for my daughter.  My granddaughter will sit for a very long time and watch youtube on applying makeup.

She is so good at it that at the age of 14 she could be a makeup artist.  I think that's true of a lot of young girls these days.  She can't wear it out, but good grief does that kid love makeup!

She has amazing skin, flawless and olive color.  I keep telling her how pretty she is and she's going to mess up her skin by cloging the pores.  Not a zit in sight!  Ha!  My face looked like .....well...not good at that age.  

I wore a lot of eye makeup but nothing on my skin (foundation, etc).  I still wear eye makeup.  Never leave home without it.

Respected Contributor

I agree,I like Doll10 make up, but I cannot buy blush as one piece. They come in sets of 3 for $50. Why not to sell them separately?

Trusted Contributor

How interesting.  Thank for posting!

I no longer do dupes.  I found that the dupe never measured up and I wasted money on products that didn't cut it.  Color cosmetics last forever so if I really want something, I get it, and rarely regret purchasing the real deal.

Super Contributor

I like purchasing dupes and found many this past year. I purchased a set of dupes for the Artist brushes that are so expensive. Granted, I never used the real Artist brushes, so it's not a true comparison, but I love the ones I purchased. They do a great job applying makeup.  I also found a great dupe for the IT powdered highlighter from Essence Cosmetics. They look and apply exactly the same!  And, I love Beauty Treats eye shadow palletes. They look very much like the Viseart palletes. They are pigmented and are very smooth. They are easy to apply and blend. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

I agree the false claims are big business.  No one product will carry you for long, nor stop aging.  Lines and wrinkles will happen.  Companies have been selling hope in a bottle for decades. 

That Argon Oil is only useable when a goat eats the Argon nut and passes it.  Then it can be processed for use on the face/cooking.  Yes, passed out of the backside of a goat.  How desperate can women be.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Elf has some really nice things and very inexpensive, they are a store near here, they happen to be next to Sephora which I think is pretty funny 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm the odd one out but I'm not a dupe fan.  I have wasted more money on supposed dupes that ended up being nothing like the original, I would have been further ahead just buying the original. 

Lipsticks and fragrances are the worst offenders for me.  Not one has been a dupe of the original. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I agree the false claims are big business.  No one product will carry you for long, nor stop aging.  Lines and wrinkles will happen.  Companies have been selling hope in a bottle for decades. 

That Argon Oil is only useable when a goat eats the Argon nut and passes it.  Then it can be processed for use on the face/cooking.  Yes, passed out of the backside of a goat.  How desperate can women be.

@Puzzle Piece

Women don't need to be desperate anymore. Argan oil has not been "processed" by goats for some time now. It is women who do the cracking of the nut.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland