Esteemed Contributor

Beauty anti-haulers article on Racked

Since it's beauty day on QVC, if you are paring down your beauty stash and need a reason to stay strong, check out this Racked article on beauty anti-haulers:

https://www.racked.com/2017/5/12/15519758/anti-haul-makeup-rehab

You may recognize some of them like anti-hauler drag queen Kimberly Clark (who is hilarious - I've binge watched the youtube videos). 

Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty anti-haulers article on Racked

@TY  I just watched Kimerly Clark's April Anti-Haul video. It's just what I needed. I need to watch more Anti-Haul videos instead of Haul videos to help with my makeup addiction Woman LOL

Regular Contributor

Excellent article TY1. I couldn't agree more with the article. I find it amazing how many products beauty youtubers pile on to their faces and I often wonder how all this makeup looks in person. And, Stephanie Nicole hit the nail on the head when she mentioned the more products they use, the more affiliate links they can have to increase their commission earnings which is totally their perrogative. And some youtubers list of links is forever ongoing. Again, great article.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for sharing such a great article. 

Honored Contributor

Other than a few (Stephanie Nicole and Kimberly Clark are part of my list of "a few"), I've stopped watching 95% plus of the YouTubers I used to watch as of a year or so ago...my subscription list is a reminder of those I used to watch. Now and then I'll go back and check out the person and within seconds I know I made the right choice to stop; I then hit unsubscribe and forget about them.

One of the things that turned me off was the shilling for Nordstrom; it's too much when there are 35 plus links to the store and/or NOTHING they talk about comes from any place else. Then there's the needing of 25 or more products to do a "quick" face. The fact that there are filtered and have their lights on so high to appear mannequin flawless is nothing but a joke.

Interestingly enough, I NEVER though of YouTubers as anything but an advertisement when links appeared. You can list the items without links (that was the norm.... does anyone remember that?) but now...it's a cash grab. 

Last, the article pointed out how the beauty community now uses YouTube to sell their products. I now boycott Too Faced (and others) based on their practice of making something a "Limited Edition", whipping people into a frenzy and then bring that same product out as part of their line a few months later (Hello Peach Palette). The greed disgusts me when any company does this. MAC is no better; "new" colors are nothing more than everyday shades in Limited Edition packaging.

I could go on but I believe many of us figured the game out a long time ago.

Esteemed Contributor

When I clicked on the link, the first thing I saw was some lipsticks.  I thought, "Oooh, that purpley one looks pretty!!  I wonder who makes it."  ::facepalm::

Image result for squirrel facepalm

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always wondered how these women could afford to buy products week after week until someone educated me about it. They get it for free, or if they do buy it, they take it back to the store after the video is made. Or they sell their used product on their blog store. They also have affiliate links where they make money. If I want to just watch a sales pitch, I will tune in to the shopping channels.

That's why I subscribe to the smaller channels that feature women over fifty that actually buy and use the products they are reviewing. I unsubscribed to several who said that it was a business for them. Nothing wrong with what they are doing since they are being honest about it. But again, I am not interested in a sales pitch.

Edited to add:  I thought the article was very good and I appreciate you sharing it with us. I'll have to check out some of those anti-haul videos.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG, so true , all of it. I can't even remember last time I hit pan, I scrounge like crazy for empties and neurotically make myself use things all up. I went through my things today, and I have more than enough MU to last me the rest of my life so it is stopping and in the near future too. 

I especially get annoyed by the overuse of MU brushes, when they say I use this number for this, and that number for that etc etc. AND, it ticks me off they get all or most of it for free. That in itself taints everything. If a sub sends it fine, lovely, but IT even does this and thats just wrong.

I was also wondering if anybody else thought the IT special deals were a bit lack luster. I wanted a kit but nothing jumped out at me. Thoughts? This does show that i am thinking harder before buying and probably will not buy anything at all.

Trusted Contributor

@blankette I wondered after watching one full presentation, why this IT Today's Special was even on?  Very strange lineup of products I thought - nothing really necessary; all were kind of extras.

Esteemed Contributor

@blankette

@aggravated

I did not think that the IT Cosmetics TSV was a good value.

Since Jaime sold her company to L'Oreal, there has been a substantial increase in prices including the TSV.

The move into expensively priced skincare is not impressive. A face serum priced at $60 by itself in order to justify the price is just marketing. All of the illuminating makeup too when there are so many reviews complaining of glitter in the illuminating foundations and concealers. Add an overpriced makeup remover - basically a cold cream, so where is the value?

Think about why QVC was pushing this overpriced kit on 6 easy pays -- in reality if one chose this option, you could be paying for something that you have already used up. 

I said it before, but if IT Cosmetics skin care claims worked, Jaime would have better skin by now but she does not. It Cosmetics has been on QVC for more than 5 years. But she has the worst skin of any beauty vendor, IMO. I just have to wonder if she leaves her rosacea untreated in order to sell makeup so she can show before and afters on air as that is her selling pitch.