Valued Contributor

I love a few great beauty review websites I'd like to pass along, but I'm not sure the QVC Community rules allow it. Does anyone know?

Honored Contributor

I like Beautypedia and MakeupAlley.

Valued Contributor

Beautypedia, definitely. For makeup, Musings of a Muse and Temptalia. Both of them have very current reviews, many posted on the day of or even before the product launches. Great close up pictures and swatches. They will give you the good and bad and the ugly about all the products they review. Temptalia grades them A-F, even the individual colors within a makeup kit/palette. I have saved money because a palette I just had to have was panned by both sites. 

Respected Contributor

I read Makeupalley for fun & for reviews.

I follow Musings Of A Muse & Temptalia on Facebook & always check them for swatches &reviews.

I don't always agree with their reviews, but I love them both & appreciate all of the work that goes into their blogs.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, Beautypedia and Makeup Alley!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Review Websites

[ Edited ]

I like Beautypedia, Makeup Alley, Musings of a Muse, Temptalia and Beauty Professor.Temptalia and Beauty Professor do a nice job of showing swatches. Temptalia also gives her products a rating and gives indepth explanations of why she gave the rating.

Honored Contributor

What I like to do when I'm searching for reviews for any one product is look for the good reviews that most of the sites agree on. This way I can be more assured of buying a good product...hopefully anyway.Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I used to follow Beautypedia, until Beauty's Choice came out.  I am sorry if I offend an of Paula's Choice lovers.   How can Beautypedia now be considered objective now when all of Paula's Choice has 5 star ratings (except for one...4 star).  She started Beautypedia.  Is she still actively involved??  Does she still have a strong influence???  I'm sorry, but I don't find her site very trustworthy now.  If I had my own beauty site and my own product line, I could give my own products 5 stars also. 

Respected Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

I used to follow Beautypedia, until Beauty's Choice came out.  I am sorry if I offend an of Paula's Choice lovers.   How can Beautypedia now be considered objective now when all of Paula's Choice has 5 star ratings (except for one...4 star).  She started Beautypedia.  Is she still actively involved??  Does she still have a strong influence???  I'm sorry, but I don't find her site very trustworthy now.  If I had my own beauty site and my own product line, I could give my own products 5 stars also. 

I've made this point before here. This is one reason that I don't use the Beautypedia site.

I've also said that, beyond the apparent conflict of interest, the site isn't  reviewing actual products. They're reviewing ingredient decks and packaging, or containers, and drawing sweeping conclusions from their beliefs about how the ingredients listed survive or don't in the containers, and whether the ingredients work. But they're not in the lab, doing tests, and they simply cannot say that the combination of ingredients isn't going to produce a synergistic effect that individual ingredients might not.

The fact that so many users who appear to have experience  with the actual product--and are therefore giving legitimate reviews, not theoretical judgments--disagree with the conclusions tells me that Beautypedia is not a reliable guide to what actually works in practice. Until they do proper due diligence, IMO, they should not be doing ratings. And they sure shouldn't be rating PC products.

Frequent Contributor

So glad this thread was started. I just got off Beautypedia and I was so confused.  I was looking up skincare products to find great reviews from Beautypedia but the community reviews were awful.  That being said just because the ingredient list and packaging make a product great from the science end it doesn't mean real consumers will like it.

There needs to be a combination of science and use to rate a product.