Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Question for Mature Beauties

@Elliot Grace wrote:
Thank you, Panda Smiley Happy 🐼

You are welcome, lots of choices out there.

Respected Contributor

It might be a lot easier, and possibly cheaper, to bring her to Ulta or Sephora or some place where they do makeup and see what they suggest. If these forums have taught me anything, it's that everyone's skin is different, their preferences vary widely, and tiny things can make all the difference in a thumbs up vs. a thumbs down. 

But . . . although ou've mentioned only wanting makeup advice, unless she's got a good skin care regimen, she won't see the best possible results from her foundation products. Her fine lines and even crepe issues might be vastly improved with a good retinol, for example, and even mature skin needs to be exfoliated regularly. She might benefit from Paula's Choice BHA, if her skin could tolerate it. So frankly, that is where I'd begin, finding her a simple skin care regimen appropriate to her needs and building on that. If it's good, hopefully she'll see enough improvement in her skin to motivate her to stick with it.

Last thing I'll say is I'd start with the skin care first and wait on the makeup, because if her underlying skin is good, she may not need any foundation.

Trusted Contributor

@Elliot Grace wrote:
Hi! I don't think I've been here since Beauty Banter, so bear with me. My mother is a 66 (67??) y/o stunningly beautiful woman who has, her entire life, given to her children, husband, friends, fellow church-goers, and strangers without ever asking, or expecting, anything in return. Her skin care and makeup consist of one cream, (I forced her to buy Miracle Worker years ago- go me!) and drug store cosmetics (which are fine, but don't do her beauty justice). I did her makeup about a week ago, and she loved it. I used some of her makeup in conjunction with some of mine- about 6 products in all. She loved it so much, we went to Target and bought dupes for some of my more expensive makeup. Even though I got an okay result, I wasn't thrilled with either the coverage or consistency of the face products (foundation and concealer). She leans more towards dry skin- especially under the eyes, which are also crepey, and now very deep-set.. She has many fine lines and deeper wrinkles, as her four children have put her through the ringer- believe me (of course, not me- I'm a perfect angel- hah!). Have you mature ladies found a light- medium coverage foundation and concealer that glides over crepey skin, light age spots, and lines/ wrinkles? Not asking for a miracle, I just want my best friend to, finally, feel beautiful and invest a little love in herself. It has to be, max, two products for face, and, preferably, cost-efficient (she's very practical- of course, I'll be more than happy to buy them). Also, would you ladies go cream blush or powder? She uses a loose Bare Minerals now. Last question- have you found a "highlighter" that is zero "shimmer/ glitter," and just a beautiful, luminous light? Thank you so much, my loves. I'm a night-shift RN so will do my very best to check for responses ASAP. <3

@Elliot Grace,

You want to find a light-medium coverage foundation and a concealer that glide over crepey skin, light age spots and lines/wrinkles and are reasonbly priced?  Not asking for a miracle, LOL?!  

If I could formulate a foundation and concealer for the over 60 crowd that did all those wonderful things, women would be stampeding to purchase said products and I'd be wealthier than Bill Gates.  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious!  I'm 60 with crepey skin under the eyes and wrinkles/creases forming at an alarming rate with each passing year and have been on a search for those two products for months and haven't found them yet. 

As near as I can determine, everything settles into fine lines and wrinkles, some more than others.  Even with using a primer and setting powder.  The price point of the products doesn't matter, either.  Some drugstore products perform much better than high end luxury products.

When you find these two miracle products, please come back and let us know what they are.  I'm all ears.  Seriously.  Really.

BTW, you might find the foundation and concealer reviews/videos by blogger Angie of Hot & Flashy 50 (Google it) to be helpful.  Her reviews will save you a ton of time and money and running around from store to store. 

Valued Contributor

I am 66 with dry skin, the usual wrinkles for my age, and some acne scarring and I use Rimmel long lasting foundation. It IS full coverage. Very inexpensive (around $7.99) and I haven't found anything better in drugstore foundation.  I don't use concealers because I don't have puffs or bags, and concealers are too drying for me.  Your mom can give this foundation a try. If it doesn't work you aren't out much money and maybe even be able to return it.

Contributor

Hi Kabella! Sorry, I should have been more clear. All drug store and high-end products welcome. Of course, I'd rather they be, probably, less than $40 (for foundation/ concealer), as she feels guilty even now splurging on her Miracle Worker twice a year. I'd definitely like to purchase a bunch of your ladies' suggestions- DS and high-end, then have a makeover day to see what she loves. If it happens to be Armani, so be it. Her first one will be on me Smiley Tongue
Contributor

noodleann- I agree, wholeheartedly. Every time I stay over I strategically "leave" Paula's Choice items where she'll see them. "Oh my! I left my retinol by the computer! Oops!" or "Hmm what's this BHA doing on your pillow?!" My mom is so old school, I doubt I'd be able to get her in public to a Sephora or Ulta bare-faced- she always runs into a million people wherever she goes. It took me about a year to get her on Miracle Worker, so maybe if I just add one more easy baby step (like the BHA), we'll head in an even better direction. She means so much to me, I just want her to feel beautiful. Going to make up my lists and head to the stores to test coverage/ consistency/ color etc. and will bring home the winners. Thanks, Miss noodleann!
Contributor

Omg, River Song, I love you. Seriously laughed out loud. Well get ready because I'm on a freaking quest. Thank you for your help- Angie of Hot & Flashy (so funny!).
Contributor

I'm excited to pick this one up! I could probably halve (half??) it with a serum or hydrator so it would be a little less full coverage, but still cover age spots, and such. Thanks, chihuahua!
Respected Contributor

Everyone raves about the Makeup Forever HD Cream Blush on youtube (check it out) It is blush that looks lioke real skin that is the beauty of it. They are sold in Sephora but online at Sephora they have a lot more colors. It is expensive $26.00. But this will last forever.I myself am 63 and for me cream blush looks more natural than powder blush. And has no  shimmer or glitter in it.

Contributor

cuddles- this is one of my friend's favorites! I'll have to steal one of hers to see... Thank you, thank you! One of my neighbors just gave me a brand new Too Faced Born This Way and some sort of Wander Beauty foundation stick, so I'm excited to try these with the blush!