Valued Contributor

Beauty Products On Their Way Out!

I have noticed 2 types of beauty products in the past 6 months that are popping up on discount, in kits and as free gifts - a sure sign cosmetic companies have oodles of inventory no one is buying and they are desperately trying to unload. The first is all the contouring products, and the second is matte lipsticks. Just about every single lipstick kit this year has at least a couple of mattes in it. Lancôme kits in the past year seems to always have a matte lipstick.
Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty Products On Their Way Out!

@grammarqueen wrote:
I have noticed 2 types of beauty products in the past 6 months that are popping up on discount, in kits and as free gifts - a sure sign cosmetic companies have oodles of inventory no one is buying and they are desperately trying to unload. The first is all the contouring products, and the second is matte lipsticks. Just about every single lipstick kit this year has at least a couple of mattes in it. Lancôme kits in the past year seems to always have a matte lipstick.

@grammarqueen. That’s true. Matte lips look well on only very few women. They make the lips look like 2 slices of liver. Yuck! Contouring is giving way to highlighting which is on its way out as well.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

I agree about the matte lipsticks.  I could never understand the appeal, certainly for mature women who need a little more "dewiness" including on the lips. I haven't tried it myself but from what I've read, matte lipsticks tends to make your lips dry.  I prefer a satin finish, myself, with perhaps just a touch of gloss on the center of the lower lip. 

As far as contouring and highlighting goes, I never hopped on that bandwagon because I just don't have that kind of time to get ready in the morning.  A swath of blush with a fan brush is about what I can manage!

Honored Contributor

I do like the matte because it lays down lasting color quite well, but I have to add a touch of gloss.  Almost the only way I use my gloss is to give life to matte. 

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus

I agree about the matte lipsticks.  I could never understand the appeal, certainly for mature women who need a little more "dewiness" including on the lips. I haven't tried it myself but from what I've read, matte lipsticks tends to make your lips dry.  I prefer a satin finish, myself, with perhaps just a touch of gloss on the center of the lower lip. 

As far as contouring and highlighting goes, I never hopped on that bandwagon because I just don't have that kind of time to get ready in the morning.  A swath of blush with a fan brush is about what I can manage!

@Texasmouse  We mature women certainly need to avoid these trends. They’re great on the 20 something YouTube stars, but can be a nightmare on us! 

Respected Contributor

I think it's all about finding the right formula of matte.

Unfortunately I needed to try more than a few to find one that worked for me. Ultimately it was kind of high-maintenance because I would need to make sure my lips were exfoliated, them apply balm, then lip primer and then the lipstick. Too much to make it look good and non-drying!

I gave up.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I guess I am heading out with Julep Matte Mousse.  I love it. Smiley Happy

Deb

Valued Contributor

When I see someone with the really dry looking matt I want to give them a lip balm because their lips are all wrinkly and dry looking.

Honored Contributor

I've always thought that contouring products make the person's face look dirty especially if you have pink toned skin.  I much prefer using a very light concealer.  Besides, most of these products are geared towards seeing someone from a distance, then you get a couple of feet from them (even the young women) and you think "seriously?"..... even the ones who apply make up very well look like they belong on a stage. JMHO

I have never liked Matte lipsticks .... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My experience with kits and freebies is they usually include newer products they are trying to get established into the mainstream.  Now I will think about this when I open the goodies.