Super Contributor

Re: Beauty Products On Their Way Out!

I think people are buying less cosmectics. I was in Macys yesterday and the Lancome girl told me they are getting less Holiday Beauty Boxes this year. There was so much out for Christmas but nothing I needed. I did purchase the Bare Essentials TSVs this year. They were good values and with a few extras thats all I need. 

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@grammarqueen wrote:
I have noticed 2 types of beauty products in the past 6 months that are popping up on discount, in kits and as free gifts - a sure sign cosmetic companies have oodles of inventory no one is buying and they are desperately trying to unload. The first is all the contouring products, and the second is matte lipsticks. Just about every single lipstick kit this year has at least a couple of mattes in it. Lancôme kits in the past year seems to always have a matte lipstick.

@grammarqueen. That’s true. Matte lips look well on only very few women. They make the lips look like 2 slices of liver. Yuck! Contouring is giving way to highlighting which is on its way out as well.

@Shanus . Haha!  Yes I agree that matte lipstick looks awful on me (I thought it would look great but boy was I disappointed when I tried it!)...good description, "slices of liver"!

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:
I have noticed 2 types of beauty products in the past 6 months that are popping up on discount, in kits and as free gifts - a sure sign cosmetic companies have oodles of inventory no one is buying and they are desperately trying to unload. The first is all the contouring products, and the second is matte lipsticks. Just about every single lipstick kit this year has at least a couple of mattes in it. Lancôme kits in the past year seems to always have a matte lipstick.

@grammarqueen  Yes.  I bought into the hype and have two contour kits.  Now I am trying to use them up intead of wasting them by using the darker shades as bronzers and eyeshadows.  

I do have some matte lipsticks, and some are more matte than the others.  The true matte ones make my lips look 10 years older, and that is not a good look.

Honored Contributor

Becca had a show the other early morning and the models looked like grease balls.  They were shining from ear to ear.  I thought to myself how can they sell their products if the models look so bad?  The cameras looked elsewhere and the models makeup was adjusted.  I can see all the highlighting not lasting too much longer.  Most women over use it and it looks horrible.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse     I agree with you.  Getting ready for work in the morning, I don't have time for a whole lot of primping.  Simple and basic is all I do.  BTW, I love your kitty cat avatar.  Very cute!  

Valued Contributor

I take the freebies in matte and add gloss. Yes, seems silly but it works.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of contouring products or matte lipsticks. Sometimes depending on the shade of contour, it can double as a blush during summer months. The mattes look terrible on me — prefer either the metallic (formerly called frosted) or cream lipsticks. These give a little shine to your lips.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Matte lipstick doesn't work for me either in my 60's

Esteemed Contributor

Matte lipsticks look terrible on me.

I think the trend is youtube and selfie driven by gen z and millenials. Why not just use the free youcam app to digitally fix your lips and contour your face for selfies instead?

I always notice how the makeup on the Sephora sales people is so overdone with matte dark lipsticks and excessive contour and highlight powders.

Another awful trend is ombre lips with matte lipstick and liners. Who wants to look like a clown out of a Stephen King movie?

Respected Contributor

@sophiesofers

Thank you!  She's our little rescue kitty, Lily.  She has stolen our hearts for sure! Woman Very Happy