Honored Contributor

Beauty Makeovers - have you had any and if so, were you pleased?

I have never gone for a beauty makeover -- always wanted to but just never got around to it.  

For those who have done this, were you pleased with the results?  Did you buy the products which were used?  Have you kept using the tips, makeup, etc. that were suggested and used on you?

Just curious.  I am really not happy with how I am looking right now and realize that the big problem is not so much WHAT I am using but HOW I am using it.  I was hoping that if I scheduled a makeover and told them what I was seeking that perhaps they could help me with application and choice of colors.  Is this typically how a makeover goes?

I would love to hear about your experiences -- what you felt was good and bad about them.

Thanks so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beauty Makeovers - have you had any and if so, were you pleased?

Well....its been about 5 yrs since I did...but I had both done at Macy's.

one was with Estee' Lauder. They used SO much product on me and i think they expected me to buy all of it after I was done.

A MAC rep did everyones make-up for my daughters wedding. I think she did a great job and we all looked great. My eyebows were a little darker than I like, but I didn't leave looking like Tammy Faye Bakker......

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, though a few years ago, but I am still using a tip she gave me - which was to press at the eye area to drain any fluid, though as far as I know, I wasn't having any problems. It's just a good practice.

The makeup was too heavy for me. Didn't like the way she did my brows at all. And I don't wear (or need) foundation. I may have gotten a few color things, but I do not use any of them now.

A long, long time ago I went to Merle Norman and got a bunch of makeup things. (Don't use any now.)

@AngelPuppy1

Do you think you need to use less...or more?

Or, different colors altogether?

Each makeup artist is going to have different ideas, and it depends on how trendy they are...(you can tell by their hairstyle)... how old they are...(in order to relate to how old you are)...and how propelled they are to sell their product.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Well....its been about 5 yrs since I did...but I had both done at Macy's.

one was with Estee' Lauder. They used SO much product on me and i think they expected me to buy all of it after I was done.

A MAC rep did everyones make-up for my daughters wedding. I think she did a great job and we all looked great. My eyebows were a little darker than I like, but I didn't leave looking like Tammy Faye Bakker......

I too had an Estée Lauder makeover several years ago and this girl also put on way to much glop. I looked like I was wearing a mask. Not only was it a shade or two off it accentuated flaws. Then she copped an attitude when I didn’t buy anything.  I told her I wanted to walk around for awhile and when I got into my car yikes, I looked horrible. Got home and washed it all off. 

Respected Contributor

I've had a couple, and in both cases they totally ignorned my comments that I prefer to use as few products and little makeup as possible. One was at the Clinique counter and one was at a Mary Kay party. I felt like they'd laid it on with a cement trowel. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Count me in as another unsatisfied customer. I also was "done" by Estee Lauder.  I was so overdone and the colors!?!?!? She used a bright peach lipstick on me. I looked at myself and could not believe how ridiculous I looked. I had wanted to go shopping but I literally ran to the car to go home and wash off the mess.

Once a lady at Prescriptives tried to do my makeup. I declined but did buy a powder. Not until I got home did I see the actual powder I bought - the shade was so dark.  I have no idea why she would have picked that shade. It was not the shade she was showing me. I am so glad she didn't do my makeup.

And the opposite happened at Chanel. The powder was so light. I felt like she wanted me to look like Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

Never again. Hope you find someone who will be a good job.

Trusted Contributor

I had one with a Christian Dior rep from New Yor in the Lord & Taylor in the Tysons Corner Mall in Northern Virginia. I had purchased foundation the prior week and they suggested a fun appointment with their expert.  He was very nice and was upset with the counter rep asking how they could have sold me the wrong shade of foundation.  Well - that was great!  And I got the correct shade free!  He proceeded to give me a "glam" look which was spectacular.  There I was dolled up to the hilt with nowhere to go but home after a day's work at the office.  I bought some eyeshadow he had used and used the entire case of it which is unusual for me.  I did enjoy the experience.  I have always loved makeup.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Hi yes I have had a few over the years I'm 54 and in my 20's MAC was all the rage and I did have a lesson at their NYC Village shop . Years ago I scheduled a Bobbi Brown lesson at Bloomingdales as a treat for myself while I recovered from a hysterectomy . 5 years ago I went Cruelty free and organic in my makeup . Last month I had probably the best one yet . A green beauty makeup artist was in NYC doing make lesson at a shop in NYC .This was a little different in that she sent you a form to fill out with what you were looking to do was it a fresh new look or problem ares . She also told us to bring or own current makeup we were using . My problem areas have been picking a right foundation shade and my eyebrows ( my hair is dark brown and silver and it turns out most brown are too red.) it turns out that while my shade wasn't wrong it just needed to be blended with another shade of foundation ( mine was a bit too yellow so I mix it with a pinker shade) My brow colors just needed to mix as well my dark brown with a grey/taupe . She used my eyeshadow , but actually mixed them together . She used all my other products and showed me the best way to cover my dark cirlces . It was a great lesson and showed me that i do have a pretty good idea of what colors work for me . Enjoy it !!!                       

Esteemed Contributor

Once.  In my late 20's.  Merle Norman was offering free makeovers, so it seemed like a good idea at the time.  The 'artist' used too-thick foundation and a very dark wine color on my cheeks, burgundy eye shadows, thick black eyeliner, and an almost black lipstick. And I'm a very fair, blue-eyed blonde.  My face looked like I was in a witch's costume for Halloween!

Couldn't wait to get home and wash it all off.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have never gone for a beauty makeover -- always wanted to but just never got around to it.  

For those who have done this, were you pleased with the results?  Did you buy the products which were used?  Have you kept using the tips, makeup, etc. that were suggested and used on you?

Just curious.  I am really not happy with how I am looking right now and realize that the big problem is not so much WHAT I am using but HOW I am using it.  I was hoping that if I scheduled a makeover and told them what I was seeking that perhaps they could help me with application and choice of colors.  Is this typically how a makeover goes?

I would love to hear about your experiences -- what you felt was good and bad about them.

Thanks so much!  

@AngelPuppy1  Several months ago, I had a makeover at Nordstrom. I let the artist know up front that my skincare stays as is and also foundation. He changed my blush to a lighter, softer shade of pink, told me to line under eyes all the way across instead of 1/2 way, & taught me how to lightly powder w/ sheer white finishing powder on t zone and put drop of oil in hand, rub together and press on cheeks for a dewey look. He changed me to a little darker lip.

I felt pale w/ the new blush (since hair now white as complexion...no longer brunette) & didn’t purchase that shade, but will think about it. Loved the pale lavender liner under eyes & purchased that. I still put the drop of oil over powdered face. Still getting used to the darker lip.

I think to have a decent outcome, you have to be the pilot and know what look you like and what new things you’d like to change. Don’t get talked into anything you don’t love. I told him I’d wait to see how I liked it in daylight and came back the next day to make my purchases.