Honored Contributor

Beauty Makeovers --- Those they have gotten them -- how much have you kept and how much have you..

[ Edited ]

... you disregarded, thrown out, etc., and returned to your former products and methods?

I have never had makeup professionally applied or makeup advice given to me in any way.  I always wanted to do this but never took the time or money.  

Those that have sought advice from a professional, from a makeup counter, had your makeup done, etc., what advice and products have you kept as your routine?

Or, on the flip side, after doing so, did you decide you looked better before and liked your old beauty regimen and products and went back to that?

Just curous.  I still want to get my makeup done -- especially my eyes --- but just keep procrastinating!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Makeovers --- Those they have gotten them -- how much have you kept and how much have you

Pros for me: I had a Bobbi Brown done 6 months after chemo 4 years ago and I still use many of the recommended products abd application directions (eye m/u)-the shades were picked for me by a colorist from Bobbi's NJ studio-amazing!

Cons: they expect you to buy EVERYTHING-not happeniing. I did purchase the eye makeup shades and pencils, but I have enough brushes to fill a broom closet. I do love Bobbi brush cleaner but only purchase when I'm flush.

I told the artist that I didnt expect to look 3 ish again. I wanted to look clean, polished, and for her to give me a really defined eye.

I made an adjustment to the eyeliner (I dont like the gel in the pot, but love the jet pencil) and am satisfied.

Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Makeovers --- Those they have gotten them -- how much have you kept and how much have you

I have had make-up and hair done for my wedding and for other photographs. The difference? Everything lasted for hours! AND I looked far more polished than when I did it myself. The contouring was amazing, I'm not good at that at all!

Have to admit I learned alot, but could never duplicate it exactly!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

The only thing I have really done is gone over to any counter (usually Lancome) and asked if anything else I should be doing. Aside from finding a lighter shaded foundation, the clerk told me everything looked okay. So usually I take home a few samples so I can play with them at home and in natural lighting instead of the 'office lighting' at the stores.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@maestra

That's kind of what I am afraid of!  I will go to a place and they will pressure me and think or expect me to buy all their stuff!

I am glad that you were able to find some things that you like and that benefited you though!!!

Thank you for answering my post!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Jacie

I bet that was amazing!  I always said if I had "money" I would hire someone to do my hair and makeup all the time.  We see all these women on t.v. and they look so great.  They have professionals do them up.  I bet they don't look half as lovely when they have to do it all themselves!!!!  

I really must try it some time.  I would probably be upset thought because I would come home and try to duplicate it and wouldn't be able to!!!

Thanks for the input you gave!!!  

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

You must be doing a good job with your makeup!  I bet they would tell me --- no, no, no!!    You must start over!  LOL!

I can't wear many lines since I can't handle fragrance and my skin is very sensitive.  About the only place is Clinique and they don't have samples that I know of???

I love your little winking picture.  Is that Betty Boop? 

Esteemed Contributor

Back in my early 20's (when dinosaurs roamed the earth), I went to Merle Norman for a makeover.  I had a new baby, husband had left me for his secretary, and I wasn't getting any sleep -- I thought I needed a pick-me-up.  Anyway, the makeover was horrid.  I looked like a clown when she was done. Eyeliner out to here, bright red cheeks.... I was embarrassed for anyone to see me and went directly home and washed my face.  I didn't buy one thing.  I haven't been to a Merle Norman store since.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@JustJazzmom

You must be doing a good job with your makeup!  I bet they would tell me --- no, no, no!!    You must start over!  LOL!

I can't wear many lines since I can't handle fragrance and my skin is very sensitive.  About the only place is Clinique and they don't have samples that I know of???

I love your little winking picture.  Is that Betty Boop? 

Yes, that is a gif photo of her. Google Betty Boop Easter and you can find lots of pictures.

What always surprises me is that some of the major lines do not make a brown mascara for those who are auburn in hair color. Not everyone has dark lashes. I do, but one of my GFs is a red head.

If anyone knows of a non waterproof mascara in another color but black, black/brown let me know. Thanks.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I think, before anyone judges on a makeover, an important question is how loyal are you to your current products or look. People who aren't loyal to anything (like me) aren't going to change behavior because of a makeover. I am a product junkie and rarely stick to any product or repurchase something, no matter how I'm introduced to it.

But there are techniques I've learned from good makeup artists that I have stuck with and there are product types or colors that I've experimented with more because of a makeup artist.

I've had some really BAD experiences, usually at Sephora, and some very good experiences, usually at department stores. I've found the best experiences are when I have an appointment, tell the artist my likes and dislikes, and she or he actually listens. Some MUAs like to go crazy and give me a look I will never, EVER wear on my own and don't feel comfortable in. The ones who listen don't go overboard and help me pick products I can live with that don't take too much time or effort.

MUAs have introduced me to foundations and tinted moisturizers that actually work for me, tangerine blushes and orangey coral lip crayons I never would have picked out on my own but look fantastic on me, and taught me how to conceal without looking cakey. So while I don't necessarily use the one product the person introduced me to, I found the information valuable and continue to use the information or techniques. I hope that helps.