Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Boxes, which are the best and why?

I just happened to get one from allure last week.  I did not order it, but I am thinking it may have come with my subscription.

Which I am probably going to cancel.  If they pay the postage, I will send the box back to them.

I wasn't particularly impressed, but none of the products appealed to me.  But, like others have said, it's hard to personalize.  Someone else may love it.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Highly recommend Glossybox. It costs a little more but the products are good and full size. Last month I got Tarte new sunscreen as 1 of five items. Have gotten some very expensive serums and perfume. It never disappoints. 

Super Contributor

I receive birchbox.  Subscribed for a year or so then stopped.  Missed getting the little surprises each month so started back up with them.  Oddly enough I enjoy the boxes as much as the products.   They are beautifully designed and make perfect storage boxes.  Also use them for gift boxes.  

Honored Contributor

I get both Birchbox and Ipsy. They're both pretty good about keeping any color or hair products within my specs. I have curly hair and I'm a blonde so any hair stuff I get is generally for curls and/or blonde.

Since I'm happy with my Wen as far as cleansing goes I give the shampoos to my co worker but I love trying the different hair products for curly hair!

Frequent Contributor

I am only subscribed  to Sephora Play right now. They do ask you to fill out your beauty profile online, but IMO, the products you get don't necessarily reflect your needs.  However, it's only $10 + tax a month for five skincare/makeup samples plus a perfume sample, and I like that they are all items you can easily find at Sephora if you ever want to purchase the full size. 

I love how one Youtuber (LoveHeatherette) puts it- she said normally we would have to spend 500 Beauty Insider points to get the five samples you get in the box (especially for those who don't live near a store to ask for samples).  And to accumulate 500 points usually mean you have to spend $500 with them.  So if you look at it that way, the Play Box is actually a pretty good deal.

Honored Contributor

The problem with Sephora is that it seems to be closed to mere mortals.  I guess I don't spend enough with them anymore, can't get in. 

Super Contributor

No one has mentioned Boxy Charm yet.  My g/f subscribes to that one - $21/month - and I love the things she gets!  It comes with well over $100 worth of products each month.

After my 2017 Year-of-the-No-Buy, I want to subscribe!

Respected Contributor

Price wise, Target and Wal-mart are good for drugstore, lower-end products. Nice and cheap!!

Ipsy  - trendy polish and make-up that I will wear, also fairly inexpensive. 

And my favorite of the more expensive boxes is Glossybox - large products, good variety or skincare, bath and make-up products - great presentation. (Terrible customer service, though)

I just cancelled my Popsugar box. It was always fun to get, but most of the stuff is not stuff I would use. Too expensive to keep getting just for the curiosity factor. I need stuff I will use. 

I also had Birchbox and the Play by Sephora boxes and a monthly nail polish subscription. Cancelled those. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I  am so glad to find this thread-  I completed the ipsy profile yesterday but didn't complete it with my credit card info. I don't like automatic shipments, life gets busy!  Target's box wasn't that way. I liked Target, too- the few boxes I got even included manufacturers coupons for the items included!

The ipsy beauty profile was very specific, I wanted to research how much they adhered to it..... seems pretty good from reading here.  I got so many samples when beauty.com was closing down, though- every week they had a new offer! I think I'll go through them a bit more before I subscribe to one of the monthly boxes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

I got my first Glossybox beauty box yesterday. It cost $21 but I got a $32 bottle of Tarte SPF30 sun lotion as well as 6 other items. Mostly for skincare;  a brow pencil, those press on nail polish things and a lovely pallet of eye shadows.  I gave my daughter the shadows and nail things. I also get Allure too, but an item was left out of my first box and I've been emailing them about ever since. I pay for these products, I should get them. So maybe will cancel that one. Also get Ipsey too. I usually give these boxes 3 months and if the items are not to my liking, I cancel. I am 62 so don't need sparkles, glitter or anymore radiance or wild shadows. Am a skincare junkie however and usually get good sized samples to use.

Allure has horrible customer service. Everytime i contacted them about missing products, missing boxes, etc, they would always say we are going to send out whatever....never received one thing. They make many promises and rarely deliver. Just horrible customer service which is sad because their boxes are good.