Contributor

Beauty Boxes, which are the best and why?

Hi, I'm looking to get into monthly beauty boxes BUT I want one that takes my skin tone, skin type, skin care needs, hair type and color and my age in to account.  I'm tired of the boxes were I end up giving so much away or just thowing things away because they're not right for my skin tone or other needs.  What a 20 yr old and what a 56 yr old need for skin and hair care are normally completly different (you know, that whole menapause, more than fine lines kind of stuff), and I don't want eye and lip colors that are more for the 20 somethings.   Anyone know of a Beauty Box that meets some or all of the needs?

Super Contributor

Re: Beauty Boxes, which are the best and why?

There is a website that reviews all the subscription boxes.  Google "My Subscription Addiction".  There are lots of special offers.  I never knew there were so many different boxes or boxes of different types!  

Honored Contributor

There is no way these boxes can cover all the details you are concerned with.  They  select basics, adressing normal skin care, hair, etc.  Colors tend to black mascara and eyeliner.  These boxes are good to try different brands of the same items over time.  My favorite is Allure, which is 15.00 a month, a couple full sizes in each box.  Birchbox, 10.00 a month,  tends to ship less full size items, just sample sizes.  Walmart is more practical with deodorant and shampoo-conditioner, main brand mascara and lipstick.  They are only 5.00 and ship 4 times a year.   

Honored Contributor

I got my first Glossybox beauty box yesterday. It cost $21 but I got a $32 bottle of Tarte SPF30 sun lotion as well as 6 other items. Mostly for skincare;  a brow pencil, those press on nail polish things and a lovely pallet of eye shadows.  I gave my daughter the shadows and nail things. I also get Allure too, but an item was left out of my first box and I've been emailing them about ever since. I pay for these products, I should get them. So maybe will cancel that one. Also get Ipsey too. I usually give these boxes 3 months and if the items are not to my liking, I cancel. I am 62 so don't need sparkles, glitter or anymore radiance or wild shadows. Am a skincare junkie however and usually get good sized samples to use.

Trusted Contributor

I get wal mart and allure. Stopped ipsy, target, and glossy, just too much stuff.

Valued Contributor

I highly doubt you are going to be able to find a monthly box that is so personalized to you... there is no way a company can hand pick items based on all those criteria for each one of their customers and be able make a profit...

I do Sephora Play and I really like it.  Sometimes I don't use every single item, but I have 2 sisters and a mom that love my 'rejects'.   Smiley Happy   I also like that they are all Sephora brands (e.g. tried and true 'quality' brands).  Also they are items that are pretty universal:  mascaras, general skincare, and any color cosmetics are in a neutral shade.  I don't mind not getting full size products because it is just to try it out after all.  I would rather get more items in small sizes than fewer items in full sizes...

I agree it can be disappointing to get a box of 4-5 items and realize you won't use a few of them.  but its only 10 bucks and I have found some HG products this way, on things I never would have purchased off the shelf unless I got the sample first.  

I have tried birchbox but did not like because it seemed that many of the items were rather off the wall trendy things that I would never wear (pure glitter eye shadow, hurt-your-eyes hot pink nail polish, etc).  also a lot were indie type brands that I had never heard of, and that I was unsure of their quality or manufacturing processes. 

the good news is, there are a lot of monthly services out there so good luck finding on that works for you  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Not sure what your parameters are, but i try to use nontoxic, chemical free products. if that interests you, a good value box is goodbeing. you fill out a profile and they do customize the box. You can also pick up to 2 items each month that they will include in your box. it costs $21 a month and you get 4-6 delux samples or 3-5 items with one full size. They combine skincare and makeup. I have only given one or two items away in the past 6 mos because they werent for me. This box by far, I have discovered items i continue to repurchase more than any other. Hope that helps!

Respected Contributor

I'm really enjoying my Walmart boxes. I've had two and they're both good values. They cost $5 per box, 4 times a year, as someone else said, so that's $20 annually, not $120 or $180, which I couldn't justify.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann  I got a couple good boxes from Walmart then they weren't even worth the $5, so I quit. My BFF was sad I quit as I gave her some of my stuff I did not want. 

Honored Contributor

I like the New Beauty Test Tube always lots of fun and unusual itmes in it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.