Good evening all!  I am in need of some help.  I will be honest.  I am a makeup junkie but I would like to change that.  I would like to find a good makeup brand to "settle down" with.  I am combo/ oily (oily T-zone, normal cheeks in summer but in winter dry cheeks), sensitive skin with some mild redness on my cheeks.  I tend to lean more towards powder foundations because they are easier to apply when in a hurry in the morning (mom of two busy boys, wife, nursing school student).  I have tried a wide variety of different brands but just don't know if it is the right one. 

Help!  Thanks all!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
When I was younger I only purchased Clinique products. Then I went through a phase where I just didn't wear makeup. When I hit 50 and started to panic over the changes in my skin, I've always been that girl that looked like she was in her twenties even when she was in her forties, I started on the makeup and skin-care products again. I've discovered that there's no one brand that does everything perfectly. And there are so many more choices now!
Respected Contributor

I have been using Smashbox Halo Powder for yrs. Originally I got it here but QVC doesn't carry it now (though their competitor carries Smashbox). No matter what else I use, this is my go-to for a powder foundation. You can match yourself at Ulta. It's subjective though, you might very well hate it.

Respected Contributor

@2babyboys

Welcome to the boards! If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're looking for a makeup line as opposed to a skin care line? Depending on your budget, places like Ulta and Sephora are virtual candy stores and the sales clerks could be very helpful in helping you find something you'll be happy with. I'm not sure I'd want to necessarily stick with one line though... Why limit yourself? Good luck with your quest!

Honored Contributor

I also started with and use Clinique.  They sell their amazing yellow light moistureizer at a bottle every four seconds!  I love all of their products and this line doesn't have the overly fancy packaging you often pay for.

At makeup stores, you don't know what they've been told to "push" at mornings meetings.  I would much prefer to have someone who is trained on the products and knows where to stear me.

Honored Contributor

@2babyboys I love and have used "Jane Iredale" make-up for years. Maybe you can find someone in your area that carries this brand. I buy mine at my beauty shop.

I would also say that Sephora is a great place for help with make-up. And Ulta since is carries all-price make-up. The women at both stores have always been nice.

Super Contributor

I agree that one make up line may not be able to "do it al" - wouldn't that be nice?  Form has to follow function in my makeup.  I use Reclaim for skin care, and couldn't be happier with the results- this coming from a person who had to go to the derm to address the acne.  First, foiundation- I don't use it.  I don't have red spots, roseacea, acne or anything I need to cover.  That said, I use a tinted moisturizer- I want Spf, moisturizer and color all in one. Pricipal Secret does not make theirs anymore so I am now using BE complexion rescue. my lip and eye liners have to be retractable- I don't like sharpening pencils.  My lip gloss has to be fragrance free- as fun  and tempting the Philosophy lip glosses sound, any kind of scent makes the corners of my mouth burn and itch, like i'm about to get a cold sore-same thing happens if I;m under stress or eat really salty fried foods.  The eyeshadows have to be in the taupe/brown family, sometimes a nice violet.  I like duo eyeshadows.   I found  a Philosopy eye shadow duo on EBAy that has very soft colors.  I also found Philosophy lip pencils for the price I would pay at Target for revlon products- yes and they're retractable! I have purchased kits with 10 eyeshadows and always end up with colors I don't like while wishing I had more  of the colors I do like.  I can get away with Great Lash mascara.   I think some of the mascaras presented on the q look a little odd - too many layers of mascara.  

make sure your skin care is working for you- start there, the rest will come.