Trusted Contributor

I know this is not a beauty topic but it could be because without the shade of the umbrella I will need skin care to get rid of sun spots 

Any suggestions for a good beach umbrella tha will withstand wind?

We got one at Costco and when the wind picked up a little it bowed and was no use.

thank you!!!!

Respected Contributor

If you're at a sandy beach, get one of thsoe umbrella holders that screw into the sand. Work pretty well. 

Honored Contributor

Look for beach products made by Rio, we recently bought "sun shades" fro our beach chair, they look simialr to the sun canopy on a baby carriage.

We got them on Amazon for less then $20.00 eash and there is no need for an umbrealla

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

The Tommy Bahama one we got at Costco stands up to wind and is a heavy material for the sun sensitive.  The heavier materials stand up and protect the best.

Occasional Contributor

We bought a Tommy Bahama beach umbrella and used it in Mexico Beach...it was fabulous! 

Trusted Contributor

we bought the one at Costco also , but last time at the beach it inverted, and is starting to tear at the ends

Trusted Contributor

that may be a solution, Thanks!

Valued Contributor

The ones that screw into the sand are the best for windy days. Typically my DH has to literally build a deep-ish hole to put the thing in first and then cover it in with sand.

Keep in mind this is coming from a family who has used the same dang beach umbrella for probably going on 11 years. I think we bought it at Target. Nothing fancy, bu has never fallen apart. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Beach Umbrella

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Look for beach products made by Rio

As a frequent "beach-goer," I second this! It looks like Rio has been bought out by Tommy Bahama, but their products are the best. We did have a watermelon umbrella for years. It was great, and it was easy for everyone to spot us! It lasted forever, and I hated to part with it when the time came. It was made so well. Umbrellas today are not made the same; that is why we won't get anything but Rio. We use two. One goes into a table with drink holders, and one goes directly into the ground. DH has a white holder that has a corkscrew-type thing on the end that screws into the sand. It has never failed us, and we stay out during rain and wind - but not thunder of course! You can usually find the corkscrew-type holder at most stores at the beach. Smiley Happy

ETA: I noticed everybody mentioned the holders - they really are great!

Honored Contributor

Ladies, you have to be a little smarter when trying to use an umbrella on a windy day! There aren't any umbrellas out there that'll withstand high winds! You all are making it sound as if the Costco umbrellas are sub par. We use a sun shade when visiting the beach.

"Pure Michigan"