Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Hmmm, let me see if I have this right.  Some of you think bathing in your own "dirt" is not getting clean.  How do you feel about washing clothes in their own "filth"?  I believe the best way to get oneself clean is to soak in a tub and then shower off.  

I can't help God cursed me with a heightened sense of logic.  

There is a rinse cycle on all washing machines so no real comparison!!!!

Clearly you do not believe in the concept of "bacterial soup".  That is your god-given right.  I do, but I am not afraid to take a bath, nor do my laundry. 

New research has shown that potentially dangerous bacteria in our laundry are not killed off in low-temperature washes. They breed in the machine, and are passed on to future loads.

Hygiene expert Dr Lisa Ackerley says: ‘Studies show that a build-up of bacteria in the interior of a washing machine transfers to the wash water of subsequent cycles — with as many as one million bacteria in just two tablespoons of water.

Honored Contributor

I haven't take a bath since I was 10 years old.  I've always taken showers.  When we were kids, my mom always made us take a quick shower before we got in the bath tub.  She didn't want us sitting in a tub of dirty water.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am a shower girl.  Baths are every once in a while.  I remember many, many years ago when I was 21 and my boss told me about his secretary he had at another company that took bubble baths all the time and ended up with cancer of uterus.  I think that stuck with me so I strayed from bubble baths all the time.

I doubt that uterine cancer comes from bath products I know that bath salts, bubble bath can cause vaginal infections and irritation.  Not to mention sitting in dirty water.  I remember 25 plus years ago, my girls' pediatrician cautioned against putting anything except soap in their tub.  Of course, I always gave them a shower before I let them sit in the tub.  h

Honored Contributor

I'm really surprised to hear that so many posters are afraid to take baths. I've never encountered such a thought before.

Personally, I take a shower when I'm  going to shampoo my hair and a bath when I don't. So far I don't seem to be wrapped in filthy dirt from my baths, nor have I ever suffered any adverse health effects.

As for someone taking bubble baths and then at some point diagnosed with uterine cancer, correlation does not imply causation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Baths can also cause UTI's too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Hmmm, let me see if I have this right.  Some of you think bathing in your own "dirt" is not getting clean.  How do you feel about washing clothes in their own "filth"?  I believe the best way to get oneself clean is to soak in a tub and then shower off.  

I can't help God cursed me with a heightened sense of logic.  

There is a rinse cycle on all washing machines so no real comparison!!!!

Clearly you do not believe in the concept of "bacterial soup".  That is your god-given right.  I do, but I am not afraid to take a bath, nor do my laundry. 

New research has shown that potentially dangerous bacteria in our laundry are not killed off in low-temperature washes. They breed in the machine, and are passed on to future loads.

Hygiene expert Dr Lisa Ackerley says: ‘Studies show that a build-up of bacteria in the interior of a washing machine transfers to the wash water of subsequent cycles — with as many as one million bacteria in just two tablespoons of water.

I was thrilled when we bought our new Samsung frontload washer 6 years ago.  It has a sanitize cycle which steams the clothes.  I use that on every load of towels (kitchen and bath).  It is a long cycle and I never worry about living bacteria in the clothes.  I do a load of towels at least every other day. My washer never stinks either!

I'm not arguing with you at all.  I am agreeing with you that a lot of the regular washer probably do have lots of bacteria in them.

Respected Contributor

I do both. Shower in morning, bath at night. As far as this silliness with the bacteria in the bath water, they have been talking about how kids are sick and have more allergies because they aren't exposed to enough bugs to build resistance.  Besides, where are you going and what are you doing to get that dirty? Lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Bath or shower?

[ Edited ]

There's all kinds of living bacteria everywhere, even on the most-fastidious of us and/or people who "think that their poop doesn't stink."

To quote microbiologist Charles A. Gerba, "there's about a tenth of a gram of fecal matter in the average pair of underwear."

So, none of us (even you, june22, who is "never dirty") can't get it all  when we wipe, whether it be our counters or our butts.  

;-)