Honored Contributor

Bath. Only shower when I'm staying in a hotel.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Bath or shower?

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo I had the same problem... I have arthritis. And no arm strength.  I purchased a battery operated lift that is like a chair that helps me down and up out of the tub. Best investment ever! It only weighs 20 pounds and folds flat when not In use. 

Honored Contributor

I am a shower girl.  Baths are every once in a while.  I remember many, many years ago when I was 21 and my boss told me about his secretary he had at another company that took bubble baths all the time and ended up with cancer of uterus.  I think that stuck with me so I strayed from bubble baths all the time.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I prefer showers, as do the other 3 members of my family.  

Trusted Contributor

Shower.  I like the idea of a bath but every time I take one I set the bathroom up with a nice bath bomb, some magazines and a bath pillow.... I get into the bath and am ready to get out in 5-10 minutes.  My fingers and toes get pruny....I wish that I enjoyed baths! 

Esteemed Contributor

Bath for me, year round. Last time I was in the shower was a couple of months ago.

I use Epsom salts too, probably 3-4x per week. I picked some up at the Amish bulk food store recently. Mixed it equal parts w/baking soda that soothes the skin.

Hot, hot water in the winter to soothe joints. Summer, much milder temps but still use the Epsom salts. Usually add in a splash of shower gel for some bubbles. Soak with a nice magazine. Keep a glass of water handy so I can stay hydrated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bath or shower?

[ Edited ]

Definitely shower for me.  Growing up we only had a bathtub and no shower.  I would get a bucket or two of water to rinse with after standing up and soaping so I could feel really clean.  Too much water wasted and washing my hair was such a chore. With a bath there is soap residue that needs rinsed off and I don't care who you are - no one stays perfectly clean all the time.  Everyone does sweat some and dust particles and everything else are everywhere and if you leave the house at all you are exposed to many contaminants.   Stating this is not meant to be degrading to the bath lovers but just factual.  I can't deny that a hot soak in a tub is soothing but for me a shower is the only way to really get clean.  We've lived in our house for nearly 30 years and found that neither one used the tub more tha a few times so we had it removed and put a large shower in and it's wonderfun not having to climb in and out of a tub just to shower!

Esteemed Contributor

@june22 wrote:

I am so surprised that showers are preferred by most of you. I guess as far as the water being dirty....I am never dirty so the water is clean. Usually the water stays nice and hot for a long time...I can add more in if I need to. The Epsom salts detoxify the body and relax the muscles....which a shower can not do.

When I was working, I only took two baths a  week....on my days off. I showered  on my work days  as it was faster.  That I do see and understand for those that prefer a shower....But, in a shower you can not read a good book...or take a little nap.... A shower is invigorating....a bath is relaxing.

I am with you all the way.  Many health-oriented people you talk to recommend an Epsom salt bath soak, about 1 cup per session.  It is a detox and great for my back arthritis.  As far as those who think you are bathing in your own dirt.  Last time I checked, I'm not working in a coal mine.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am always amazed when this subject comes up that the shower preferring folks seem to frequently feel they need to say something degrading about preferring baths. Hate to tell you all but just because you chose to shower does not make you , in any way, a better person than those who chose to bathe.before you criticize me for saying this refer to posts # 5-6-7.

Well I'm #7. Never said I was a better person because I shower instead of taking a bath. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Just because I feel the water is dirty after taking a bath & I stand up & shower after does not make me a better person. It's JMO & How I feel when I take a bath. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I love showers!  For so many years I had a bathroom that only had a tub and I missed showers.  I always thinks I will do a bath, but then, when I get ready to, I think - nah ---I love my showers!!!  I tend to take longer ones that I probably should, but it sure feels good in the morning.  I can't use bubble baths or anthing like that, so taking a plain old bath would be kind of borig for me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin