Honored Contributor

Re: Bath & Body Works frustrating visit

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@You should have turned the tables and insisted the clerk give you her phone number.

That is the best suggestion I've heard yet.

maybe but that is how things get escalated and the next thing you know someone has their phone out and you are on youtube,

Honored Contributor

I am in Marshalls alot and they always ask me about their card, 

I just say "no thanks I have one to use" and that's it

Respected Contributor

Bath and Body Works ask for your phone number when you order online too. Cannot recall any online business that does not.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac  hope you told that manager to train employees not to ask a second time if they get a no, thank you from the customer.   

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@mspatmac  hope you told that manager to train employees not to ask a second time if they get a no, thank you from the customer.   

Oh yes, I told him a few things and also he was responsible for the actions of his employee.  It was all said very calmly as I won't go down to their level, raise my voice or allow them to rebut.  I say what I have to say and leave. 

Valued Contributor

This has happened to me too. When they get your number they get your name and address. They say it's to send you the coupons. You should be able to just say NO and not be signed up for rewards. I guess most people just give their numbers so the sales associates don't know how to handle it when people say no. It's almost like they can't ring up your purchase. It really is ridiculous. 

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter works at a retailer that requires employees to ask for a phone number during checkout, she doesn't like doing it & when customers get irritated she just makes one up to complete the sale. I know she'd like a different job but it's a short walk from college & the hours work with her classes.

Respected Contributor

Although I never had the same problem as the OP, I did stop shopping in personal at B&BW due to some of their sales tactics. The minute I would walk into their store their sales staff would immediately approach me and follow me all around the store giving me their sales pitch.  

Even when I would tell them I'm just browsing I couldn't get them to leave me alone. 

I love their products and didn't want to end my relationship with them so I just switched over to ordering all of my products from their website.  I know I miss out on trying the scents of their new products but not being bothered is worth it to me.

I try to remember what fragrances I have enjoyed and usually just order them.  Once in a while I'll take a chance on something new and so far I haven't been disappointed.

Esteemed Contributor

They always ask at Bath and Body I always say its unlisted and that's the end of that.  Try that next time.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I have been shopping at Barnes & Noble for decades, and they ALWAYS ask me to join their frequent buyer program, which I refuse to do so, because there is a fee.

Yes, I am always firm with the salespeople, but I think they probably get some kind of extra commission if people join, and they are perhaps mandated to ask people about membership.

I am a member of many frequent shopper programs anyway, starting with airlines.  But some places are just not worth it for me.

I would probably not leave without my merchandise, even if the clerks annoyed me.  I always look at it this way--they are there eight hours a day, at least five days a week, and the job is somewhat monotonous.  Clerk jobs are somewhat low level and low paying. I do not take their attitudes personally.  I am blessed to be the customer shopping!