Honored Contributor

Re: Bath & Body Works frustrating visit

I have shopped at Bath and Body Works for years.  I never had a problem or issue and in fact it has always been a pleasant shopping experience.  I give my phone number if asked and haven't had any issues with that either.  For me shopping  in person is much more enjoyable than on line shopping.  I think we all encounter rude salespeople at times and it is our choice whether or not to shop at that store again.  Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you told the Manager about the little chit rolling her eyes at you. I try my best to be gracious and polite and trust me sometimes it's a real effort.

However, that would have sent me over the edge, I would have ripped the little brat a new one,  spoken to the  manager about her utter rudeness, and lastly I would have sent a complaint to Corporate.

I am slow to anger, but when I am there, hell hath no fury. LOL

On a different note years ago I was in Nordstrom and a lady walked up to me to take my order with a little hand held computer. Why not I thought, she asked if I would like her to e-mail me my receipt and I said yes. Huge mistake.. I was pestered for quite awhile from them until I finally realized that I need to unsubscribe . Now whenever I go into a store when they ask me do I want an e-mailed receipt or a printed copy. I ask for the print copy. (sorry tree)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
It has never occurred to be to be petulant about giving a phone number for a rewards plan. Weird.

@RollTide2008 

I don't think it was the asking of the number. I think it's because the sales rep. asked her three times even though she clearly said no. Then to add insult to injury The Little Girl rolled her eyes at her. 

Respected Contributor

Had she just given her the number the first time, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Honored Contributor

I live alone so I do not give my phone number to just anyone who asks because you never know who is listening.   So there is a point to why we are having this conversation.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I stopped in BBW and picked out a few fragrance sprays.  Checking out I was asked for my phone number and stated I'd prefer not to give it.  The sales girl asked me 3 more times, insisting I needed to give it for their new rewards program.  I again stated that I did not want to give it and would just like to purchase without earning points.  Before she started to scan the items, she looked over at the other sales girl and rolled her eyes.  Up until then I was polite, but then I just got annoyed.  So I asked if I could purchase the items without giving my phone number (I probably was a bit snarky when I asked) and she just looked at me like I was crazy.  So I turned around and walked out.  The manager saw me leave and asked me what was wrong and I just told her that buying online was much easier.  

I don't mind getting asked and having them tell me about their rewards program... but enough was enough!  Now I just have to remember what fragrances I picked out!  LOL

@Knit-Chick  Make a phone Number  up ?  Why make it difficult 

Trusted Contributor

Lol.

My reply is always:

123-456-7890

RARELY does the person figure it out. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Had she just given her the number the first time, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

And had the sales clerk respected my answer (3 times) we would't be having this conversation either.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I stopped in BBW and picked out a few fragrance sprays.  Checking out I was asked for my phone number and stated I'd prefer not to give it.  The sales girl asked me 3 more times, insisting I needed to give it for their new rewards program.  I again stated that I did not want to give it and would just like to purchase without earning points.  Before she started to scan the items, she looked over at the other sales girl and rolled her eyes.  Up until then I was polite, but then I just got annoyed.  So I asked if I could purchase the items without giving my phone number (I probably was a bit snarky when I asked) and she just looked at me like I was crazy.  So I turned around and walked out.  The manager saw me leave and asked me what was wrong and I just told her that buying online was much easier.  

I don't mind getting asked and having them tell me about their rewards program... but enough was enough!  Now I just have to remember what fragrances I picked out!  LOL

@Knit-Chick  Make a phone Number  up ?  Why make it difficult 

Really?  I made it difficult?  I didn't want to give my phone number or make any information up.  I was paying cash and it would have been a pretty quick transaction.  Instead we wasted time and they lost a sale.

Respected Contributor

At my BB&W store, I'm always asked for an email, never a phone number. I don't mind giving my email out, I buy quite a bit from them and want their coupons. I don't think clerks should continue to ask for information if you don't want to give it out and then get an attitude about it.  However, it's unfortunate that companies pretty much force their clerks to ask for phone numbers and/ or try and upsell store credit cards. If customers are shopping in the store, that should be good enough for them.

On a related note, I used to work at a check printing company in their call center taking orders. We were made to secretly add more expensive UPS shipping and fraud protection to every order, because all the customers wanted free bulk shipping and no extra add-ons from the ads they would get in the mail. When we quoted the price and they questioned why it was higher, we had to upsell the advantages of higher shipping and fraud protection. Some took it, some didn't. We also told them they could also go online and place an order and they could choose what they wanted.  Since calls AND keystrokes were monitored, higher ups knew when we were or weren't adding it. Needless to say there was a lot of turnover and I didn't stay long. I don't know how they can get away with being so deceptive.