Super Contributor

Basic Skin Care for Sensitive Skin

Hi All Happy Holidays! I have sensitive skin and am looking for a basic skin care routine. I have tried retinol products but my skin became itchy and red. I am looking for an easy and simple skincare routine.
Honored Contributor

Re: Basic Skin Care for Sensitive Skin

Have you tried a retinol that is encapsulated, good for sensitive skin. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried a retinol that is encapsulated.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm your Sensitive Skin Sister....red, blotchy, sometimes itchy skin if I use the wrong product on my face. It's frustrating I know. Having just gone through an episode of extreme redness, I'm back to the basic care routine - no more using something that is not on the "sensitive skin" list. You really have to stick with the hypoallergenic and no fragrance products...no straying! I'm now back to:

- Clinique - facial wash, toner, moisturizer (the Moisture Surge products are great, especially the overnight product).

- Make-up - I use a combination of Clinique and Almay. Almay tinted moisturizer and eyeshadow, and Clinique Chubby stick for blush and mascara. For some reason I can use Laura Geller's stick eye liner (the best I've ever used) with no problem.

- CeraVe - I also use this as a facial moisturizer sometimes and body moisturizer. It's great and was recommended by a dermatologist for my skin. Anything CeraVe is a good choice as is Cetaphil and Physicians Formula.

The bottom line is that if you have sensitive skin, it doesn't go away. You can deviate and try products that have fragrances and other ingredients, but at some point you'll probably break out. Best of luck to you. I know it gets frustrating, but there are workable solutions - just not any "fancy" solutions!

BTW - I also wash my towels and wash cloths in fragrance free soap....that's made a difference as well.

Honored Contributor

It depends on how involved you want it to be.  You may want to start out with some very basic products.  Vanicream makes a gentle cleanser and moisturizer.  If you can use a Vitamin C serum, there are several on Amazon.  Timeless and Dr. Brenner are good, but affordable.  If you can't use retinol, maybe you can use a mild exfoliating pad.  Check out Dr. Nassif's on HSN.

Respected Contributor

@Tallgal My advice is to be wary of every product. Stick to a basic skin care regime. Cleanse-tone-moisturize. A previous poster gave you her Clinique regime. I used the products in the category 2 successfully for years. The Clinique Moisture Surge is a winner especially during winter.

Cosmetics may have a scent or fragrance that will trigger a reaction. Always mention your sensitivity to anyone helping you. Buy unscented everything for laundry. You are not allergic to the scent; you are allergic to the chemicals used to create the scent.

Sensitive skin cannot tolerate the experimentation some of the Beauty forum posters enjoy. We have to proceed with caution. Use the scientific method and only change one variable at a time. That way you will know what triggered your reaction.

As far as cosmetics go, I think Jane Iredale has the best mineral products. They were developed for use by plastic surgery patients and were originally only available in doctors' offices. Of course I still have excellent results from Clinique. Whatever you find that works for you, remember "If I ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't make changes to proven winners.

Honored Contributor

I have had good luck with Paula's Choice.  I started with the mildest and worked up.  I like the lower percentage AHA products for sensitive skin, and have not had issues with the moisturizers with some retinol in them.  

Trusted Contributor

I also have very sensitive skin and I use Paula's Choice products.  You really only need 4 products for good basic skincare:  cleanser, toner, moisturizer and an exfoliator.

I use Paula's Choice:

Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser;

Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner;

the leave-on 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant;

and the Skin Recovery Replenishing Moisturizer.

Whenever I want or need to use a new product, I "skin test" myself first by applying a small amount on my inner arm and leave it on for 24 hours.  If I don't get a reaction from it, I then will use it.  Many times I've gotten blisters, rashes, etc., and was so glad I didn't apply it all over my face!

Paula's Choice has several product "lines" and the Skin Recovery line for Dry/Very Dry skin works best for me.

Check out their website and if you sign up for emails you will often receive sale offers.

Good luck in your search.  Hope you find something that works for you.

Honored Contributor

@Tallgal 

I have never tried the Pur line, but I hear good things about it.  This might be an option for you.

I would say whatever your choices, just make sure you go for - fragrance free.  And I would avoid retin or products with any type of this.  My derm told me since my skin is very sensitive and reactive to stay away from this.

Also, generally speaking scrubs are pretty harsh.  Clinique has one --- 7 day scrub, which is pretty gentle.

I would love to be able to use a bunch of products for aging and all of these other things but I just can't handle them.  So, I would stick to the basics.  A gentle cleanser and a gentle moisturiser.  Occasional exfoliator such as the one I listed above.  

Not exciting but you might find that you skin will thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

In lieu of Retinol you can try a Bakuchiol cream or serum, a plant bsed version of retinol for more sensitive skins.