Valued Contributor

Bareminerals loose shadows and foundations...

Hello Ladies... I once asked Bareminerals CS about expiration on the loose minerals.  I was told they never expired but had to put put an expiration date on them..  my question is do they expire?  If so what is the shelf life of this type of product?  I have numerous shadows and other minerals from this line wondering if they are good or not.  Thanks for any info you can give me.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Respected Contributor

Re: Bareminerals loose shadows and foundations...

i am wondering this myself.  i am starting to go through my collection and get rid of shades i know i wont use.  But i have had these for a while so not sure if they are still good.  i did some swatches on my hand and they still seem good but...... 

Honored Contributor

I'm no chemist, but I beliieve them when they say the product does not go bad. I wonder about bacteria though, even though you are supposed to work with the product from inside the cap. Bacteria has to get into the product from the brush touching the inside of the cap. That being said, I have eye shadow that's at least 8 years old and I'm still using it and no eye or skin infection.

Valued Contributor

I just downloaded the "beauty keeper" app.  All my shadows and most minerals (which I have had for a very long time) have expired years ago.  Along with other numerous makeup brands I have.  Cleaning this stuff out feels good but the money down the drainSmiley Frustrated not so much lol

No thought is worth thinking.....
Trusted Contributor

For years Leslie promoted the mineral powders as never going bad. If I recall correctly, it was because bacteria could not grow on minerals. For the products exclusively composed of minerals, and that have been protected from light, moisture, heat and contamination with other things, I would think the risk is minimal. 

Here's the FDA's info on expiration dates,,,  https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/ExpirationDating/default.htm

Regular Contributor

I still have and use mine from all the TSV's they did about 10 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter and I still have many loose shadows and foundation and powders from years ago, and we still use them with no problems......Some of them are probably 7 or 8 years old!

Honored Contributor

I started with them one year after Leslie starting selling BE on QVC.  (I'm a late adopter)  I've never had one item go bad in the mineral line.  I'm still working on my first jar of Glee, which I use as my blush.

Valued Contributor

I still use the shadows, but one colour I found oxidized over time, changed to a darker colour so I tossed it out. If the texture or colour changes, I dump it.

Regular Contributor

One lady used to test her loose minerals to prove that BE doesn't go bad because

there's nothing in most of the original mineral products to provide a growth medium. The lady worked for a lab, but had been a model in her younger days, and had some of the first color products, from the 70s, which were still testing negative 35 years later.

(Credit: Bubbles & Boo on Delphi)

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!