Contributor

Bare Minerals vs IT Cosmetics

So years ago, I was ALL in with Bare Minerals and then got distracted by other shiny and new lines. I wound up being pretty dedicated to IT Cosmetics. After trying (and buying) a TON of their products and realizing I'm just not happy with certain things- foundation colors are never quite right, CC cream breaks me out, not being cruelty free, etc- I've wandered back over to the Q's bareMinerals tab. I'm pretty sad that it seems they are on some sort of down slide in popularity. I'd love to watch a show, but it seems they don't have them often. My local boutique shut down as well. I don't want to go all in with a company that may not be around for much longer. I hope I'm misreading between the lines.
If anyone has any suggestions for makeup, I'd love to hear! I'm 50 with sensitive, acne-prone skin and starting to show some wrinkles. I loved IT for their all-in-one skin care/makeup concept. I believe it helped with some of my fine lines. I'm lazy-If it's more than a few steps, I probably won't do it. Maybe bareMinerals skincare is just as good??
Valued Contributor

Re: Bare Minerals vs IT Cosmetics

I love Clinique. Used it for over 40 years. Love the skin care line. And love their foundation. However, I do use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MSarahM   IMHO, I was never a fan of all in one foundations. I'm never sure if there's enough serum, moisturizer, primer and the spf was an issue since foundation doesn't go on neck or chest. Most women don't wear enough foundation on their face to equal the recommended amount of spf. A tinted moisturizer w/ a high enough spf takes care of 2 steps in 1 product. I just add concealer where I need extra coverage. Done. 

BTW, I stil wear Bare Mineral Original Foundation in the summer. It's too drying for my skin in winter months. I think the brand is here to stay. It seems to win best foundation awards on most lists....either Complexion Rescue or the Original. 

Trusted Contributor

Wait!

IT is NOT cruelty free?

Spoiler
Woman Sad
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MSarahM  I think most of us get hooked on to new brands, but have old favorites we turn back to when the hynotic spell of the new wears off. As for Bare Minerals, I wouldn't be worried about the boutique closing.  The corporate powers are closing those shops everywhere. The brand is available at many major department stores and the beauty stores such as Ulta and Sephora, so that gives them a very broad presence in brick and mortar retail without having their own stores.  With their brand website, QVC, HSN and other website availability (including the websites of their brick and mortar partners) they also have presence for those who shop online. They aren't going anywhere soon.  

I think it would be fine to return to Bare Minerals. Since it was a brand you were comfortable with and liked the products that would be my first stop. I agree with some of the points you made about IT.  It's foundation colors always are never quite right for me and some of the other products are just ok imo.  The only It product I love is Je Ne Sais  Quoi Lipgloss Stain.  

Contributor

Thank you all so much for your input! And yes, poregirl, I was really disappointed when I found out IT is NOT cruelty free! I think L'oreal owns them, though I'm not certain. Whoever owns them tests on animals. IT doesn't have the "bunny" logo certifying that they are cruelty free.
Contributor

Bare Minerals is owned by Shiseido and IT Cosmetics is owned by L'Oreal. Neither parent company is cruelty free. Before I purchase cosmetics, I check the ownership

of a company to make sure my money isn't ultimately going to a company that still tests on animals. 

Contributor

EDITING ORIGINAL!!! IT Cosmetics IS in fact now certified as cruelty free!!!! I should have rechecked that before saying they aren't! Needless to say, I think that's fabulous. It still doesn't offer the best shades for me. Still going to look into other lines.
Esteemed Contributor

I try everything out there.  Seem to always go back to Bare Minerals as it feels the best and is the best for me.  Just had my second order of my Lancer Tsv go through this morning and have the other Lancer products on AD.  I just feel after exfoliating, cleansing, masking and moisurtizing, I don't want to put on a greasy liquid foundation.  Bare Minerals is the only one that does not feel like I am messing up all the hard work I do with my skincare.  

Hope everyone finds the one that works best for themselves.  That is really all that matters in the long run.

A safe and happy week ahead to all!

Valued Contributor

@MSarahM wrote:
So years ago, I was ALL in with Bare Minerals and then got distracted by other shiny and new lines. I wound up being pretty dedicated to IT Cosmetics. After trying (and buying) a TON of their products and realizing I'm just not happy with certain things- foundation colors are never quite right, CC cream breaks me out, not being cruelty free, etc- I've wandered back over to the Q's bareMinerals tab. I'm pretty sad that it seems they are on some sort of down slide in popularity. I'd love to watch a show, but it seems they don't have them often. My local boutique shut down as well. I don't want to go all in with a company that may not be around for much longer. I hope I'm misreading between the lines.
If anyone has any suggestions for makeup, I'd love to hear! I'm 50 with sensitive, acne-prone skin and starting to show some wrinkles. I loved IT for their all-in-one skin care/makeup concept. I believe it helped with some of my fine lines. I'm lazy-If it's more than a few steps, I probably won't do it. Maybe bareMinerals skincare is just as good??

I STILL love bareminerals...its the makeup I use...and I have many of their products! They have their own website and they have MANY products! You can get them at Macy's too, among other beauty stores! I'm in my sixties~