Honored Contributor

Re: Bar soap or liquid soap for hand washing?

If this influences anyone's preference - and I hope it does - bar soap is better for the environment because it doesn't involve plastic bottles.

Respected Contributor

Another bar soap fan here. I have bars of Beekman at all the sinks and in the shower. I haven't tried their liquid soap, but I generally find liquid soaps drying. The Beekman bar soaps are never drying to my skin.

I also use gloves to do housework and dishes, always. I am allergic to latex so my preferred gloves are Clean Ones. I strongly recommend finding gloves you like and always wearing them to do chores. If the water in my kitchen weren't so hot (170 F last I checked), I'd use thin nitrile or vinyl gloves, which are cheap, but I need the protection of thicker gloves.

Also, I don't use the so-called hand sanitizers. They are really bad for the skin, dry it out and lead to breaks. This means that if you touch a surface with active coronavirus, it's got a way into your body. So if you have skin breaks, wear gloves when you're out and discard or clean them after every potential exposure.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks again, for your feedback everyone! Heart

@noodleann, I will have to see if I can find those latex-free gloves for cleaning when I need heavier gloves...

I tend not to wear any gloves like that if I can help it due to neuropathy in my hands. I can't always feel things so I don't always like wearing gloves. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella wrote:

@Toppers3  I ran out of my usual hand soaps. One of my body washes is by Simply called Raw Sugar. (sold at Walgreens) Its cold pressed with no sulfates or Parabens & is Cruelty free. I have the Raw Coconut + Mango. Its like washing your hands with soap & hand cream. It comes in a 25 fl oz. Bottle & I just pour it in to my empty pump bottles. HTH. No more dry hands! Under 10.00.

@Kabella 

I've been buying Raw Sugar at Target.  I've had luck with the Avocado + Cactus Pear and Grapefruit + Rosemary moisturizing formulas.  Prefer this creamier formula to the "simply body wash" formula.

Haven't tried their hand soaps because I'm still using up some Mrs. Meyer's.

It looks like the company is introducing some new (pricier) items.  I hope the ones we're using won't be discontinued.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I love Goat Milk stuff liquid soap.  Use it in foamer bottles.  It is a little pricey so I ordered their shreds (pre shredded from their bar soaps) and put 4 oz of those in 9 cups of water.  Melted the soap shreds in the hot water and let it stand for 24 hours, used a whisk to blend, then put into empty soap bottles or you can use mason jars with lids.  It made tons for $5.  It feels great and my hands are soft and smooth.

@brandiwineOh wow, We use there bar soap all the time..I just saw there foam soap but yes it's kind of pricy. That is just a great idea!  My husband can't take the bar soaps to work so his hands are having a hard time due to that...This way he could have it at work also!  Thank you for the great idea!

Valued Contributor

I have sensitive skin that is easily irritated. I saw a dermatolgist and she said never to use any scented soap products (very irritating to the skin) and reccomended Cetaphil products. They have a product called "Gentle Skin Cleanser" that I use to wash my hands. She also said bar soaps are not good because whatever it is that they put into them to keep them in bar form are bad for the skin. 

Contributor

I prefer liquid soap at the sinks but LOVE Beekman in the shower.  My hands can get hang nails and be very dry.  Using a drop of Wen’s Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oil a few times per day and Josie’s argan oil before bedtime both followed by hand cream has kept my hands in good shape over the past couple of months. Previous to all of this, if my hands got in bad shape, I would slather on some Vaseline then put on a pair of exam gloves for a few hours. I’d be good to go for a few months after that. 

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't use anything but bar soap in the shower, but I like pump soaps for convenience in the powder rooms and guest bedroom. We also have bar soaps there and, with the right soap holder, they don't get "yucky."

And in the absence of specific sensitivities which could preclude the use of any type of soap, bar soaps aren't "bad for you." The idea that a dermatologist would say that while recommending a product containing every paraben known to man--among other things--is laughable.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

Always use the foaming soaps in the pump. Bar soap is just too messy for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

I love Goat Milk stuff liquid soap.  Use it in foamer bottles.  It is a little pricey so I ordered their shreds (pre shredded from their bar soaps) and put 4 oz of those in 9 cups of water.  Melted the soap shreds in the hot water and let it stand for 24 hours, used a whisk to blend, then put into empty soap bottles or you can use mason jars with lids.  It made tons for $5.  It feels great and my hands are soft and smooth.

@brandiwine:

Is it safe to do this without preservatives?  This is part of an article I was reading about adding water to make your own substance:

Put more simply, the soap in your dispenser is specially designed to prevent bacteria from multiplying in the water that collects in there. When you dilute those preservatives with even more water, the very substance you’re using to remove the germs from your hands becomes itself a small germ factory — by using it, you’re actually making your hands dirtier than they were in the first place.