Honored Contributor

Re: Bar soap or liquid soap for hand washing?

We've used BBW gentle foaming hand soaps for YEARS.  DH and I don't seem to suffer from dry hands.  We enjoy the various scents and bottle styles to compliment the bathrooms.  Right now I'm obessed with Rose Water and Ivy in my bathroom.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3  I also highly recommend the Beekman soap. I get it at HSN because the shipping is free. Also I have gotten $10 off coupons. The soaps last a long time. Not only do they not dry out  my skin they don't leave residue on the bathtub. And it doesn't get mushy. I am so glad I tried Beekman.  They have liquid soaps as well. Trader Joe's  and Method liquid  foaming soaps have also been gentle for hand washing. 

Another good product is  the First Aid Ultra Repair cream that QVC sells. The value is unbeatable but more importantly it is incredible. My hands have never been better. I also use the unscented on my face. It actually smells a little like noxema but again an excellent product. You can usually get 2 big jars for around $40. In b&m stores it's $30 for a small jar.  It lasts quite awhile. Good luck in your search. 

Respected Contributor

A long time ago when the housecall nurse would come for care of an elderly relative she would NOT use the bar soap in the homes of her clients.  Only liquid soap dispensers.  Made sense to me when I thought about it.  You could disinfect the liquid soap bottle between uses but the bar soap just sat there with the residual germs from  everyones hands and the ones floating around the bathroom.  A bar can not be cleaned to the extent a hard sided container can.  To be Ultra careful a soap dispenser beats a bar. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Toppers3    I highly recommend Beekman goat milk bar soap.   I have not tried the liquid soap.  But...this is the best I have ever used.  Very moisturizing.  The Tuberose is a great scent.  I get mine from HSN.  Best price for 4 bars..plus free shipping.  

I agree....very good for sensitive skin

Honored Contributor

I've used liquid soap at the bathroom sink for ages, but all this hand washing changed me to bar soaps. Many liquid soaps have sulfates. I started using pure Shea butter soaps. I can usually find the same brand "Shea Moisture" that I use on my hair. The bars are big, so I cut them in half to make them more manageable to use.

***Messy soap dishes? I put a dishwashing sponge in my soap dish under the soap. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks again for all of your detailed responses regarding not just the soaps, but the hand lotions and the hand creams, too.

I appreciate the time and the effort that each and every one of you have put in to your responses. I truly appreciate your input and your opinions and experiences. Heart

I am thinking of trying some goat milk products, thanks to your feedback. Smiley Happy

I've heard the great things about Beekman's, and then I've also heard about Goat Milk Stuff, and then there's also Zum, too. So many choices! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Toppers3  I ran out of my usual hand soaps. One of my body washes is by Simply called Raw Sugar. (sold at Walgreens) Its cold pressed with no sulfates or Parabens & is Cruelty free. I have the Raw Coconut + Mango. Its like washing your hands with soap & hand cream. It comes in a 25 fl oz. Bottle & I just pour it in to my empty pump bottles. HTH. No more dry hands! Under 10.00.

Honored Contributor

Especially now, liquid soap is more hygienic.

The only bar soap we've had for some time now is Yardley Oatmeal in the shower for my husband.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

the past i'd say 3 months my hands have been real bad.. i do work at a hospital, so i know its from washing my hands.. but also the sanitizer is definetely killing my hands.. i use first aid lotion from here allllll the time..i have started using a honey and sugar scrub a few times a week.. i just mix honey and sugar into a paste, then rub it into my hands for like 5 minutes.. then rinse real good. works great.. i know sanitizer is going to be a way of life now.. so my hands will never be back to "normal"

Valued Contributor

We use Soft Soap liquid soap most of the time.  I don't find it drying and the scents are lovely.  i get it from Amazon.