Honored Contributor

Re: Bar soap or liquid soap for hand washing?

[ Edited ]

-

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3  Since I am the only one in my home, I use bar soap at the bathroom sink and liquid soap at the kitchen sink.   You may want to try a liquid soap without sulfates (detergent) so it will be more gentle on your hands and after you dry your hands immediately apply lotion.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I use liquid hand soap for hand washing and bar soap only in the shower. My hands are especially dry in the winter and with all of the hand washing lately it gets really dry. I use the L'occitane shea butter hand cream that works great. I also use the First Aid Beauty ultra repair cream as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

In the bathrooms I use a liquid soap,  in my kitchen I use dish washing liquid to wash my hands.

I always follow up with a good moisturizer after washing my hands. Currently  I am using  Perlier with Shea Butter. body balm for my hands. 

Respected Contributor

I have both liquid soap and bar soaps in my bathrooms.  I prefer Bar Soap because it is less drying (I use Beekman or Pacha or Good Soap).  And the rest of my family like liquid soap becuase it is less messy.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Heart Smiley Happy

I've been thinking that I definitely have to do something to try and change things up--even a combination of things...

Like change the soap around, plus the hand cream/lotion.

I found a Jergens Moisturizing hand soap to try, which is very nice. I bought two to try. The store sold out of them when I went back to see if they had any more of them.

I have had trouble finding liquid hand soap in my area. I'm in Wisconsin.

For awhile, even bar soap was scare, but now that's not such a problem. Liquid hand soap is still rather difficult to find around here in the smaller-sized bottles. Larger refill bottles are available.

The cotton hand gloves at night sound like a good idea.

I think that I will have to give those a try, and for some reason, I had forgotten about using them as an option. 

I just started trying a hand salve/balm.

I have one from the N*ked Bee company that is an Orange Blossom with Honey hand salve that contains other essential oils, too.

It has a rather more subtle smell to it than the body lotion of theirs that I have. 

I have trouble with neuropathy in my hands so I find rubber gloves for cleaning to be a bit too bulky. Smiley Embarassed

Valued Contributor

I prefer liquid HAND soap, myself. (And for me personally, though I love it for pots and pans, Dawn would send me straight for the Benadryl.) That said, imho, hands down (no pun intended) there is nothing that comes even close, as far as moisturizing goes, to Korres body butter from HSN. (Made in Greece with incredible ingredients.) A little goes a long way, and I promise you, your hands will feel fantastic, as well as, your arms, legs, and feet!! It's a little pricey, but beyond worth it. 

Honored Contributor

We go through liquid and foam soap so quickly. Normally it's not an issue. But right now, we're using bar soap for most hand washing. It lasts longer so I don't have to worry about it running out as fast.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

Every winter I have to switch from liquid soap to hand soap (goat Milk) because of irritated, raw, bleeding hands.  This year is even worse than usual because of the constant hand washing due to Covid-19.

Buy any good brand of goat's milk soap.  Beekman is a good one because it does not turn to mush but stays hard and the bar lasts a long time.  You will be amazed at how soft your hands are after just a few days.  Good Luck!

Trusted Contributor

I use Dove Sensitive bar soap in the bathtub.  For handwashing, I use dishwashing detergent.  I just keep it on top of the kitchen sink because I'm either pouring it on my hands or into the sink for dishes.  I don't recommend that for you because of your dry skin.  Maybe you should use something by Eucerin or a brand similar to that you can find  at the drugstore.  

For the bathroom sink, I like the Bath & Body Works pump containers.  I also like to use Philosophy bath & shower gels for handwashing.  There are some I don't like in the tub, so I've been pouring them into empty pump bottles and they work great at the bathroom or even the kitchen sink for handwashing.  And my hands smell nice too!