Regular Contributor
I love the color this product gives my skin but I wish it had spf. What do you use that's compatible with it for sun protection? Thanks!
Honored Contributor

I thought there was a Balance ‘N Brighten that had SPF.  At least there used to be.

Honored Contributor

There is titanium dioxide in the B-n-B so that will give you some sun protection.  If you want more, apply it with your skincare and let it sink in and dry down all the way before you apply the B-n-B.

Honored Contributor

Re: Balance and brighten

[ Edited ]

What I like to do is apply my sunscreen and let it set for just a couple of minutes. But sometimes it still feels a little tacky so I blot it then apply my foundation on top. I use a powder foundation so it works out pretty well that way for me. The sunscreen (Neutrogena) makes a good primer under foundation. My face looks good throughout the entire day...nice, even and smooth looking...not blotchy or changing colors on me.

Respected Contributor

There are mineral powder sunscreens out there. They come in a tube with a retractable brush on the end. You just brush it on after all youmakeup is done. A couple brands l like are Tarte and Colorescience. They have worked well when I’ve been in the Caribbean in the hit sun, good protection. They don’t mess up your makeup.  I’m sure other brands make the same thing, I jus don’t know of them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@erichu wrote:
I love the color this product gives my skin but I wish it had spf. What do you use that's compatible with it for sun protection? Thanks!

@erichuI have a history of skin cancer and have to be diligent about sunscreen.  I use Elta MD UV Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41on my face and I'm able to use Balance and Brighten with no time in between to "dry down."  This particular Elta MD formula is oil free and doesn't interact with the B&B at all.  I'm very fair and use B&B in both Porcelain and Fair shades. The porcelain matches my skin color perfectly, but  I'm so pale that I dust some Fair B&B on top for a bit more color. 

Elta MD comes in a LOT of different formulas, but I can only comment on the one I'm using.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@erichu wrote:

@erichuI have a history of skin cancer and have to be diligent about sunscreen.  I use Elta MD UV Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41on my face and I'm able to use Balance and Brighten with no time in between to "dry down."  This particular Elta MD formula is oil free and doesn't interact with the B&B at all.  I'm very fair and use B&B in both Porcelain and Fair shades. The porcelain matches my skin color perfectly, but  I'm so pale that I dust some Fair B&B on top for a bit more color. 

Elta MD comes in a LOT of different formulas, but I can only comment on the one I'm using.

@shoesnbags 

I do the same thing with B&B!  I found that the porcelain alone made me look too washed out and the fair too ruddy, but doing both --- perfect!

I do have a question for you --- well, 2 questions actually.  Do you have any sensitivity issues with the Elta?  I have very reactive skin and was wondering if this bothered you at all.  And also, do you also use a moisturizer in addition to the Elta, or is this sufficient?

Thanks so much!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

There is some SPF in the B&B. I have very fair skin so I use Dr.Denese day cream that is a multi task product (spf/mositurizer/bb-cc cream) first and then a light brush of the B&B. Works for me on the super sunny days. It stays put and makes my skin look great.   

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@erichu wrote:

@shoesnbags 

I do the same thing with B&B!  I found that the porcelain alone made me look too washed out and the fair too ruddy, but doing both --- perfect!

I do have a question for you --- well, 2 questions actually.  Do you have any sensitivity issues with the Elta?  I have very reactive skin and was wondering if this bothered you at all.  And also, do you also use a moisturizer in addition to the Elta, or is this sufficient?

Thanks so much!!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  I've always had oily skin, but now it's finally normalized.  So I don't need a heavy moisturizer, but for the first time in my life I do need a little something.  In the morning I use Neutrogena "oil-free moisture" for sensitive skin.  It comes in a pump bottle and doesn't cause my sensitive skin to break out.  I put this on when I first get up and it has absorbed by the time I'm ready to put make-up on.  At that point I use the Elta MD SPF and then the B&B.  I should add that there are Elta MD formulations that are more moisturizing, but they might react with the B&B. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one combining Porcelain and Fair.  Does your skin have a slight yellow tone like mine?  I envy people with that fair, rosy complexion, but alas, my pale skin has no pink in it. My color looks so much better with B&B!

Yes, my skin is sensitive, with some rosacea, but this particular Elta MD formulation hasn't bothered it.  My derm had samples of all of the different Elta MD SPF products and I tried them out to find which one I liked the best for my skin. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@erichu wrote:

@shoesnbags 

Thanks so much!!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  I've always had oily skin, but now it's finally normalized.  So I don't need a heavy moisturizer, but for the first time in my life I do need a little something.  In the morning I use Neutrogena "oil-free moisture" for sensitive skin.  It comes in a pump bottle and doesn't cause my sensitive skin to break out.  I put this on when I first get up and it has absorbed by the time I'm ready to put make-up on.  At that point I use the Elta MD SPF and then the B&B.  I should add that there are Elta MD formulations that are more moisturizing, but they might react with the B&B. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one combining Porcelain and Fair.  Does your skin have a slight yellow tone like mine?  I envy people with that fair, rosy complexion, but alas, my pale skin has no pink in it. My color looks so much better with B&B!

Yes, my skin is sensitive, with some rosacea, but this particular Elta MD formulation hasn't bothered it.  My derm had samples of all of the different Elta MD SPF products and I tried them out to find which one I liked the best for my skin. 

@shoesnbags 

Thanks so much for replying!

I now have slightly dry skin.  I have rosacea also.  I would say my skin is more in the cool tone range.  Porcelain does match me well but then I look blah without the Fair added on!  I use a Eucerin sensitive skin moisturizer right now and let it soak it for a bit before B& B but it only has an SPF 15.  I would really like the higher SPF but don't want something to mess up the B&B finish.  Thanks so much for your info!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin