Honored Contributor

Re: Balance and brighten vs. balance and glow....

I love Balance n Brighten.  Haven't tried the "Glow" version because I don't like that look on me.  I'm 66, light to medium skin tone and the medium BnB works best on me.  I do use a primer with it but I do with any foundation. Doesn't sit in my wrinkles, doesn't accentuate my pores.  Coverage is medium, I would say - as the saying goes "your skin but better" but coverage will depend on how much you want to use.  I don't like a lot of foundation so play with what works for you and buff it in.  I'd say its a matte finish, does not look powdery.  Staying power is good.

Hope this helps!

Trusted Contributor

I have used all three-- Balance and Brighten, Balance and Glow and Bare Minerals at different times.  

Balance and Glow, like others stated, was too illuminating for me.  I think to use highlighter or illuminating in certain areas of the face looks good... all over should be left to the "experts"  aka J LO.  lol

Balance and Brighten was my favorite powder foundation for a time.  It has good coverage and was perfect.  Until I started getting (cough) older.... powder doesn't bode well for me.  Settles in line and looks dry, dry, dry.... 

I also used the whole bare minerals line at a time-- foundation, mineral veil, warmth, all the blushes and had a thousand eye shadows.  I was on board.  But if I started to sweat I felt itchy.  I washed my brushes as everyone on this board adviced.  Didn't help.  So I quit using.

Nowadays, I use a Josie Maran SPF and primer all over.  Then use her chubby stick concealor and set with Bare minerals Bisque just in the areas I need.... under eyes and around nose.  

This seems to look the most natural to me.  And I have had several people compliment my skin and say-- "you have good skin, you don't wear make up" but I totally do.  Every day.  lol.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet  I have been using the Balance and Brighten since it first came out.  I do not like a "glowy" face so would never use the Balance and Glow.  I prefer a matte face instead.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I used to love my Bare Minerals original powder foundation, but stopped using it a year ago because it had a powdery look on my skin...a more dewey look is better on me.

Can anyone compare Balance and Brightern to BM? Powdery finish? Compared to Bye Bye Pores which sat in the pores and was an awful powder foundation on me, too?

I'm thinking that powders are just not "me", but cetainly they are good for a quick application.

@Shanus   I had been mixing liquid foundation with my moisturizer for 25 years and always liked that sheer, dewey look on me best. I always topped it off with a little bronzer and blush.  At the height of it's popularity at QVC, I tried BM foundation.  I barely had any fine wrinkles at all and BM found and accentuated every wrinkle/flaw on my face. it made me look 20 years older. I returned it.

I still wanted a powder for days when I needed to get ready fast. So I tried BnB and it was the answer.  I don't find it powdery but I'm not heavy handed with face products either. It blends into skin easily, it buffs in fast and it's virtuallly undetectable. The best way to describe it is it looks like you have a filter on your skin. The key is, of course, is getting the right shade.

Unfortunately, I started to react to talc in face products a few years ago, BnB and almost all of LG powders contain talc. I'd still be using it if it didn't.  Someone here, I can't remember who it was, highly recommended Pur 4-in-1 Powder Foundation.  Have you tried that product? When I can figure out their shades I might be trying that one.

Respected Contributor

My all time fav. is BM original mineral foundation. I am lucky that I have smooth skin & it does not settle into my fine lines. I just use one application & buff buff buff. I do not get a powdery look at all & on my normal skin type but it gives me an ever so slightly glow. Love it! I also have BM complexion Rescue tinted Moisturizer which I like but need a light dusting of Mineral veil with it. Alot of women use CR as a first step then top it off with the BM Original. I tried it & it gives the skin a light to med. coverage but with a bit more glow. I only do that on a special occasion. I hardly wear any foundation on a daily basis except skincare etc.

BnB does look powdery on my skin. I wanted to like it so much because of the ease of application being a baked powder. I even tryed my usual Rose water spray after but on me it still looked too powdery even tho I only used a light application. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus Have you ever tryed Pur Minerals? That was my Mother's fav. for years. I tryed it & liked it but they do not have a good shade for my skin tone. The only neutral shade I liked was too dark which is the tan which my Mom wore. BM original still works for me so I stopped looking because nothing I tried worked better. I like a very light application & buff well with no powdery look & just set with a rose water mist. Love it!

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I used to love my Bare Minerals original powder foundation, but stopped using it a year ago because it had a powdery look on my skin...a more dewey look is better on me.

Can anyone compare Balance and Brightern to BM? Powdery finish? Compared to Bye Bye Pores which sat in the pores and was an awful powder foundation on me, too?

I'm thinking that powders are just not "me", but cetainly they are good for a quick application.

@Shanus   I had been mixing liquid foundation with my moisturizer for 25 years and always liked that sheer, dewey look on me best. I always topped it off with a little bronzer and blush.  At the height of it's popularity at QVC, I tried BM foundation.  I barely had any fine wrinkles at all and BM found and accentuated every wrinkle/flaw on my face. it made me look 20 years older. I returned it.

I still wanted a powder for days when I needed to get ready fast. So I tried BnB and it was the answer.  I don't find it powdery but I'm not heavy handed with face products either. It blends into skin easily, it buffs in fast and it's virtuallly undetectable. The best way to describe it is it looks like you have a filter on your skin. The key is, of course, is getting the right shade.

Unfortunately, I started to react to talc in face products a few years ago, BnB and almost all of LG powders contain talc. I'd still be using it if it didn't.  Someone here, I can't remember who it was, highly recommended Pur 4-in-1 Powder Foundation.  Have you tried that product? When I can figure out their shades I might be trying that one.

@decaf   No, I have not tried the Pur 4 in 1 powder. May try the Jane Iredale one and/or the one by  MAC which is a mineral foundation in a compact, but not sure about the talc even though that has not been an issue for me. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

I only have used B&B and not the other one.  I like it a lot and believe if you use a light hand and with one of her big brushes that you would be happy with it, too.  I had pretty much give up on powder foundations but this one really is different.  I didn't think it would give coverage but it does.  I think it's especially good in the warm weather as it does not make me feel hot and sticky like most liquid or creme foundations do.  And it's quick and easy!  I don't have any knowledge of the balance and glow, so can't help you with that!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Yes, illumination on mature skin is a big no.  Actually, on any kind of skin.  I tried Balance & Brigten but it did not work on my mature skin.  I use a light foundation or tinted moisturizer and have no problems.

kindness is strength