Trusted Contributor
I was researching some Burt's bees items this morning and came across this ingredient that is supposed to be an alternative to retinol. I do have an eye cream with this ingredient in it and I have been surprised that I do like this eye cream because it was not very expensive. Makeup replies easily over it and it hydrates well. But I had no idea it was a retinol alternative. So now I am seeing other products with this ingredient in it. Since I am not very learned about products, I thought I would get some thoughts from the very informed ladies here on this beauty board. Has anyone ever heard of this ingredient and have used it? If so, what were the products that you used?
Honored Contributor

Beekman has one and so does Instanatural, I have the Instanatural one, not tried it yet, Isomers also includes it in a few items and so does Dr Nassif, it is in his pads. 

Honored Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
I was researching some Burt's bees items this morning and came across this ingredient that is supposed to be an alternative to retinol. I do have an eye cream with this ingredient in it and I have been surprised that I do like this eye cream because it was not very expensive. Makeup replies easily over it and it hydrates well. But I had no idea it was a retinol alternative. So now I am seeing other products with this ingredient in it. Since I am not very learned about products, I thought I would get some thoughts from the very informed ladies here on this beauty board. Has anyone ever heard of this ingredient and have used it? If so, what were the products that you used?

@Midmod - I have heard of it and used a Paula's Choice retinol product that had it in it.  

Honored Contributor

I always like to know the % of an ingredient in my products.If it has very little, it's non-irritating and not efficient.

Since the Paula Choice products cost more than Burt's Bee,iit's possible more retinol is included, but who knows?

Esteemed Contributor

This is fairly new on the skincare scene. I have one product: Whish Super Cream (for body), but I've used it on my face & neck. I couldn't say if it takes the place of a retinol, though. (Since I do use a low percentage retinol.)

If I have used the Whish together w/ my retinol, I've never had any irritation.

I know the Whish cream was expensive, but I do like it. Just haven't reached for it in a while. My skin is not dehydrated....

Honored Contributor

Good packaging is everything when it comes to certain ingredients. By that I mean that some ingredients need more than an ordinary bottle or jar. Retinol, for example, is highly unstable in its usual form. Although many products contain the encapsulated form of it, retinol still needs special protective packaging which often times increases the the prices of things.

Bakuchiol is one product that is stable. It's resistant to oxidation and from the effects of light damage. In other words bakuchiol can be stored in a regular clear bottle w/o harming it. Inexpensive packaging saves the customer some money.

Trusted Contributor

I used a full bottle of the Herbivore Bakuchiol serum that I received in a BoxyCharm.  I have tried tretinoin a few times over the years.  Even at a very low percentage and only using a few days a week, my skin never adjusted and I finally stopped using it.  My skin is oily/combo and I never have a problem with any acids, no matter the type or how strong, but it can't seem to handle tretinoin or vitamin C (always causes breakouts).

I liked the Bakuchoil.  It didn't cause any irritation, but it's not inexpensive.  I'm currently using CeraVe Resurfacing Retinol Serum after seeing Dr. Dray recommend it.  I also like this, no irritation.  I haven't been using it long enough to know if any results.  I've tried a bunch of different retinol products over the years and I don't really know if any of them gave me noticable results which is why I've tried to use trentinoin multiple times.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bakuchiol products

[ Edited ]

Bakuchiol is in my Paula's Choice product.

Paula's Choice:

21CA44DF-9956-41BC-9567-4D112C5037F5.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Bakuchiol is in my retinol from Naturium.