Honored Contributor

Re: Baking soda, who knew???

I use baking soda all the time for my face and its good in your shampoo to remove the build up. Why waste so much money on special exfoliaters and shampoos to do what baking soda will do and its so much gentler on your skin. Go to Pinterest for more ideas!!!

Respected Contributor

Serious Skin Care used to have a baking soda cleanser...the might still make it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

I thought it was bad to use baking soda on skin because it disrupts the ph balance…it's very alkaline.

Honored Contributor

One teaspoon mixed well with warm water will relief bloating and gas pressure. Have also used with a little lemon juice (not fake but fruit)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I don't use it on my skin (the alkaline pH plus the grittiness don't agree with my sensitive skin), but I do use it as a bathroom cleanser. It makes an awesome scrub for the bathtub, I just sprinkle it in and then use a wet sponge or washcloth to scrub off soap scum. It rinses easily and quickly. Plus, if you put down the drain with some vinegar, it has a foaming action that will help clean water pipes.

Frequent Contributor

As a former hairdresser, I used to add a T or so to shampoo in my hand, and wash clients hair with it (especially ladies who liked to use a lot of hairspray). This would remove all the buildup from hair and would allow the finished cut /style to perform better. I also used baking soda in a shampoo mixture for children especially who had chlorine buildup on the hair from swimming.

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2014 Uglybuster said:

As a former hairdresser, I used to add a T or so to shampoo in my hand, and wash clients hair with it (especially ladies who liked to use a lot of hairspray). This would remove all the buildup from hair and would allow the finished cut /style to perform better. I also used baking soda in a shampoo mixture for children especially who had chlorine buildup on the hair from swimming.

Is it ok for use on "naturally blonde" ({#emotions_dlg.sneaky}) hair? Would it do anything to the color?

Super Contributor

It's my cleaner of choice for bathroom and kitchen. I love the way it works and it can be used for so many purposes.

Esteemed Contributor

Kat - twice a week I lightly scrub my face, while in the shower, with Arm & Hammer baking soda / peroxide toothpaste. I know, weird. It dries my face a bit, but I generously follow up with moisturizer. Fewer blemishes, smaller pores, scrubs away old skin cells and.... I'm gradually losing those light brown sun spots on my face. I was out in the sun a lot last year riding my bike and this has truly helped. I began doing this when I left my facial cleanser at home while traveling. I grabbed the 'ol toothpaste tube and have used it ever since. Less expensive, too! You don't want to get it in your eyes

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

On 2/8/2014 ury said:

Kat - twice a week I lightly scrub my face, while in the shower, with Arm & Hammer baking soda / peroxide toothpaste. I know, weird. It dries my face a bit, but I generously follow up with moisturizer. Fewer blemishes, smaller pores, scrubs away old skin cells and.... I'm gradually losing those light brown sun spots on my face. I was out in the sun a lot last year riding my bike and this has truly helped. I began doing this when I left my facial cleanser at home while traveling. I grabbed the 'ol toothpaste tube and have used it ever since. Less expensive, too! You don't want to get it in your eyes

Thank you. I'll try just about anything for the dark spots. I wonder if you'd get the same result by using baking soda moistened with peroxide??? I keep peroxide around for cuts, mixing into my mouth wash and getting stains out. The baking soda is drying but I use JM Argon oil afterwards or PTR laser free cream/gel. Both are very hydrating.

BTW I just got 3 boxes at Aldi's for 49 cents each. One for my face, one for cooking and one for the cat litter box. Weird cat won't use the box with scented litter.