Esteemed Contributor

Bad expensive skincare experience! Lesson learned!

So, I decided to try Drunk Elephant skincare—and I bought several of their very expensive products (they say you should mix them, etc). I spent almost $500 and....you guessed it! My face totally broke out!! My face hasn’t broken out in more than a decade! I have great, normal skin....before trying Drunk Elephant. 

After returning all of the Drunk Elephant items to Sephora,  I then went to the drugstore and bought Cetaphil Foaming Face Wash and Cetaphil night moisturizer and my skin is perfect!!! I also faithfully wear a mineral sunscreen (Elta MD). 

I am done with expensive skincare and I vow not to believe the crazy hype!!! Just sharing my story. Thanks for allowing me to vent. 

Super Contributor

Re: Bad expensive skincare experience! Lesson learned!

I did the same thing years ago. Purchased the full line of Lazlo, everything that was needed for my skin care.  I broke out with welts on my face. Returned all. It was a horror. Learned from that experience that expensive is not always better.

Valued Contributor

That's so ironic!  I, too, did something similar.  My skin has been kind of haywire lately - kind of dry, kind of oily.  I'm also menopausal and am hot all the time and we live in hot and humid Florida and the weather isn't helping my situation either.  I've been reading a lot about avoiding silicones (which is almost impossible!) so I decided to try Drunk Elephant as well since silicone is one of the ingredients they avoid.  Now I only spent about $120 - I didn't want to go all in until I tried a few products.  I went to Sephora and purchased the mini soaps, the B5 moisturizer and the Umbra sunscreen.  The soaps seem fine and the B5 moisurizer is fine (not necessarily that moisturizing) but I really can't stand the sunscreen.  It's way too thick and goopy and kind of greasy feeling, so I went back to my EltaMD Clear this morning and I'm feeling so much better!  I think I will keep the soaps and the moisturizer but I'm going to return the sunscreen.  I really wanted to try the Framboos serum, but I just couldn't make myself pay $90 for one oz.  I guess I'll stick to Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel.

Respected Contributor

I learned the hard way, never to buy a complete line of any brand.  I have not found one line where every product agrees with me. 

I found breaking down skin care by categories instead of brand to be very helpful. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry, Ladies, that you had bad experiences trying new products. It happens a lot. Since we aren’t all scientists and can’t even pronounce some of the ingredients in the products, it’s difficult to know which ones were the culprit and caused the breakouts.

Sometimes it isn’t the ingredients but the richness of the product compared to your previous one. If you’re using skincare that works for you, try not to be tempted to shop around for the next new thing that you hear about. It’s not worth the money or the time it takes to get your skin back under control.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361, when I used to use a Vit serum, I had heard so many good things about theirs. It was pricey, but I went for it. I used it for a few days, and the skin on my nose started peeling. I had not starting using any other product. I returned it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I also went "all in" and bought $500 worth, although I got 20% off that price. Fortunately for me, I love it. My skin texture and tone is much improved and I only started it in January.  I bought products that were favorably reviewed by a blogger (Gothamist), so not everything in the line, but it is all I use now.  

A bonus is the way I can mix all my morning and evening products and apply.  No putting on a serum, then the moisturizer, etc.  Not a huge deal, but I like it.  Long time Dr. Denese user, and I think her products are very good, but this is working better for me.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361, when I used to use a Vit serum, I had heard so many good things about theirs. It was pricey, but I went for it. I used it for a few days, and the skin on my nose started peeling. I had not starting using any other product. I returned it.

@suzyQ3  Some C serums are higher concentrations than others. Mine is Vit. C & E and Ferulic. Yes, I get peeling around my nose sometimes & just cut back for a few days or stay away from any peeling areas.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3  Some C serums are higher concentrations than others. Mine is Vit. C & E and Ferulic. Yes, I get peeling around my nose sometimes & just cut back for a few days or stay away from any peeling areas.

@Shanus, I had been using NCN's Vit C serum with 20 percent L-Ascorbic acid:

Ingredients: Water/Distilled Orange Blossom, L-Ascorbic Acid & MAP (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Hyaluronic Acid, Glutathione, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Oat Beta Glucan, Vitamin E (mixture of Tocopherols & Tocotrienols), Ferulic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Optiphen.

I had had no such problems with the above.

It's okay, though. I decided that I don't like the very limited shelf life of what I consider the most effective Vit serums. I went cold turkey, and my skin is no worse for wear.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have burned my face twice "layering" skin care. I am happy with what I am using now. M Asam Hydration, eye, serum and cream. That's it. nothing else. I do use PTR retinol at night also.