Honored Contributor

Re: BORED? WANT TO ASK MAKEUP QUESTIONS?

[ Edited ]

@hummermom wrote:

@Shanus 

Thanks so much! Tight-lining is a great approach: when I used traditional liner, it seemed to make my eyes look smaller.

And using lighter colors is something I hadn't considered.

@hummermom   You also need to consider your frames. If they're large or dark, you may want to go a little easier on shadow, but still do brows, shadow and liner...dark frames especially look better without heavier liner. You may also not want to do a bright lip. 

If you wear clear, plastic frames like mine, you can play more with shadow, but I still do the tightline technique to make lashes look fuller. Placing liner on top lid takes up space we need for shadow, as we get older. Another tip is if lining under your eyes, use eye shadow not pencil or liquid liner...too harsh. Use a shade lighter than top lid. I like using dark navy between lashes and a medium grey or bronze shadow underneath. If you can't find the right brow color, most palettes contain a few shades of browns/taupes. You can combine them to use a brown brush and spoolie and create the perfect brow. Powder is more natural than pencils on brows. Just use a pencil to define outline and fill in w/ shadow. Set w/ brow gel (hairspray on spoolie or old toothbrush works well, too). 

Honored Contributor

More questions are welcomed. I'll be checking in throughout the day. Take out the palettes, lipsticks, etc. you haven't used in awhile and play. Think of your face as a coloring book. Try new shades and placement. It all washes off!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks for providing the correct term:  yes, eyelid primer.

I have done exactly as you say in that I apply a thin layer of primer with a brush, let it sit and dry completely.  I then apply a wash of a soft, lighter shade.  

I was just about to go to Ulta to ask for advice on shades that would compliment my olive, neutral complexion when this "thing" hit and they closed. What I've experienced when I explore neutrals is that they don't show up on my lid because of my brown skin.  Warm tones simply do not work --- so what does that leave?

I have salt & pepper hair, wear silver jewelry and jewel toned clothing.  No tans, beiges, browns, oranges, etc.  They wash me out.  So I believe it is imperative that I stick to cool tones.  I wear fuchsia, berry, pink lipstick and Becca has a lovely line that I've just about bought out in every shade.  Reds are a no-no unless I use Becca's cool tone Garnet.

Have youtubed for brown skinned beauties applying eyeshadow, but 9 times out of 10 they use golden shades which are hideous on me.  Also, too garish for this senior gal.

Am totally stumped.  Would buy outside the pink range I wear if only I could find a good compromise.

Any advice, suggestions?  I truly appreciate having an expert assist me.

BTW - even high-end primers can't keep the oxidation away.

iMil gracias!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ah @pommom. Now I have some more info to help me. I'd try going into the plum, purple, lilac, heather family of shadows. If you feel you need more impact to show up on your darker complexion, keep the shadow colors to medium intensity, but go to a darker liner in similar shades...a dark plum liner would be great or navy. Black would be too harsh. I have grey hair too and have started experimenting with shadows that are cool in the slate, grey and cement shades. You may want to try those with a dark charcoal liner. How does that sound? Both groups of colors are cool and would compliment your jewel toned wardrobe. Definitely stay w/ your lipstick choices. 

Lastly, another suggestion for the oxidation issue. Instead of primer, try a waterproof eyeshadow stick as your shadow base. Bobbi Brown makes them, Laura Mercier and a drugstore brand is Covergirl. They have a great dupe. These sticks are thicker and drier than primers. You may want to try using them as shadows...all lines have gorgeous plums, purple shades. Then you can skip the powders which may be the issue. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I cannot thank you enough.  I'll give the purples/lilacs a try once the market opens.  Prefer to test them.

One thing I am doing correctly is using Smashbox's navy liner.  Instead of using it on my lids, I tight-line under my upper waterline as close to my lashes as possible and boy! do my lashes pop!  This from Lisa Eldrige.

Added to my list will be the waterproof eyeshadow sticks you recommended.  

You are an ANGEL for providing us with expert advice.  Everytime I use my new eyeshadows, I'll think of you.  Heart

Bendiciones.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@pommom   I'll be waiting to hear how you like these new colors. Stay healthy.

Contributor

Hi Shanus, So kind of you to start this thread. I'd like to ask what your favorite concealer for mature eyes is? I typically use Bobbi Brown's Extra Face & Eye w/ a bit of oil on the cheek bone for moisture. Mostly looking for a pigmented concealer that doesn't settle into the lines I'm at peace with. Her corrector, concealer combo looks good but in time augments lines. Have been using EL Double Wear. Put on foundation first, then concealer to highlight/ correct what remains. Would love to hear your thoughts. (and sit in your chair.😊❤️) Bless You Heart and Thank you...
Honored Contributor

@classyangel wrote:
Hi Shanus, So kind of you to start this thread. I'd like to ask what your favorite concealer for mature eyes is? I typically use Bobbi Brown's Extra Face & Eye w/ a bit of oil on the cheek bone for moisture. Mostly looking for a pigmented concealer that doesn't settle into the lines I'm at peace with. Her corrector, concealer combo looks good but in time augments lines. Have been using EL Double Wear. Put on foundation first, then concealer to highlight/ correct what remains. Would love to hear your thoughts. (and sit in your chair.😊❤️) Bless You Heart and Thank you...

@classyangel   I've been using NARS Radiant Creamy concealer. It's lightweight, comes in a tube w/ a doe foot applicator. It's better as we age to cover darkness under the eye w/ a light touch. If it all doesn't get covered, Oh well. It's better than caked up makeup under your eyes falling into lines. 

Contributor

Thank You, Shanus. Your thoughts, insights meant a lot. I'll look for your suggestion. Also loved what you said. Things don't have to be 'perfect' to be Perfect. Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Have a great day...
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I love this topic!!! Ok I have a question.What eyeshadow colors look best on   dark brown eyes. Thanks.

@cuddlesmama   Brown eyes look good in shades of plum and violet. If you like neutrals, try ones like salmon or gold...not necessarily metallic, but gold toned taupes. 

Thank you soo much!!