Honored Contributor

BORED? WANT TO ASK MAKEUP QUESTIONS?

[ Edited ]

Any other makeup questions? It's a great time to pull out your makeup, try a new technique, using some colors you forgot about, placement of shadows, etc. Also you can take this time to maybe organize, clean brushes and sharpen pencils. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: BORED? WANT TO ASK MAKEUP QUESTIONS?

[ Edited ]

(Hand up, teach!)

Yes, I have one.  I am using a very good eyelid concealer before I apply my eye m/u.  Regardless of the concealer (have tried so many), my shadow oxidizes and leaves a murky, bold look at the end of the day.  I use the Marvelous Mauve matte palette.  Those shades work well for me. It also occurred with other eyeshadows.   At the end of the day, holy moly!  So very bold and unattractive on this senior beauty.

Help!

edited:  I wear only soft shades and apply with a light hand.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@pommom   When you say "eyelid concealer", do you mean an eyeshadow primer made specifically for smoothing lids, covering darkness/veins & keeping shadow in place longer? If you're using an undereye concealer, this is too oily for lids is the number one issue women have with shadows changing colors. If you are using an eyelid primer and this is still happening, there are a few solutions: 1.  Apply the lid primer w/ a brush and try using a lighter layer and then set w/ a light matte shadow from your palette lashes to under the brow then top w/ colored shadows  2. Change brands and try different primers. 3.  If you're using mauve shades of shadows (which naturally have reddish tones), any oil left on your lids will mix with the shadow causing it to change colors. 4.  Back to #2....change brands of primer.  Be sure you set it and let it dry before applying shadow.  Let me know how any of these suggestions work out for you. 

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus 

I have a question: I wear prescription glasses (progressive lens). Blue/green eyes.

Do you have a recommendation for eye makeup for people who wear glasses?

I very much enjoy your makeup tips. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hummermom  Happy you enjoy reading my suggestions.  The best tip for wearing glasses (I do, too...progressive lenses and green eyes) is to NOT ignore your eyes! Pay special attention to under eye darkness w/ concealer (corrector first rather than too much concealer). Always wear liner to define the eyes. I tightline between my lashes for a more natural look. Mascara is a must. Never ignore your brows. They should be shaped, tweezed, kept neat and filled in. Shadows should be light and natural looking. For blue/green eyes, I'd go with anything in the camel, peachy taupes, apricot shades...brown liner. Don't go nuts trying to create a defined crease. The idea is for everything you do to look natural and blended. 

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks so much! Tight-lining is a great approach: when I used traditional liner, it seemed to make my eyes look smaller.

And using lighter colors is something I hadn't considered.

Respected Contributor

I love this topic!!! Ok I have a question.What eyeshadow colors look best on   dark brown eyes. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I love this topic!!! Ok I have a question.What eyeshadow colors look best on   dark brown eyes. Thanks.

@cuddlesmama   Brown eyes look good in shades of plum and violet. If you like neutrals, try ones like salmon or gold...not necessarily metallic, but gold toned taupes. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    Re:  Blush.  I have a few broken capillaries on each faciial  cheek.  Is it okay for me to wear blush?  Thank you.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus    Re:  Blush.  I have a few broken capillaries on each faciial  cheek.  Is it okay for me to wear blush?  Thank you.

@Katcat1   If it's just a few, I'd cover them w/ a concealer if your foundation or tinted moisturizer doesn't cover it enough for you and then go ahead with your blush. The  only time I hesitate with blush is if someone has really bad rosacea on their cheeks...bright red. It'd takes too much foundation to cover it completely, so after I do the makeup, I let whatever redness is showing through stand as blush.