Esteemed Contributor

Re: BOBBI BROWN APPEARS ON Q

[ Edited ]

I read a recent LA times blog article about Bobbi Brown leaving her company and it sounds like she's going to be helping her husband renovate a hotel while she sits out her non-compete clause with Estee Lauder. She's even thinking of starting another makeup line.

Reading between the lines I would guess she and EL have some big philosophical differences on the role of makeup in women's lives. BB thinks makeup should enhance a woman's natural beauty which is why she hates contouring makeup.

i kind of doubt she will be appearing on QVC again.

Anyway, the article is an interesting look at how indie brands sell out to big corporations and what the consequences are for those who do sell out.

http://www.latimes.com/fashion/la-ig-wwd-bobbi-brown-20170118-story.html

Honored Contributor

I would definitely love to see BB start a new line with her original vision of "looking like you only better". When EL bought her company, some of the eye shadows got very frosty and palettes as well as other products became quite expensive. It seemed like Bobbi's natural look became too "hip" and trendy. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Well that sounds fun helping her husband renovate a hotel......I don't think she will appear on the Q anymore either. It will be interesting to see if there are lots of changes in the line...   

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I would definitely love to see BB start a new line with her original vision of "looking like you only better". When EL bought her company, some of the eye shadows got very frosty and palettes as well as other products became quite expensive. It seemed like Bobbi's natural look became too "hip" and trendy. 

I agree with you. I had at one point all of Bobbi Brown's makeup books and yet the books didn't translate into my real life. I couldn't find her makeup line in local mall department stores, up until a year and a half ago when the local Sephora started to carry it. I remember when I wanted to get her Beach fragrance I had to drive to Oakridge mall in Vancouver to find her makeup line. It was either that or go to Holt Renfrew in downtown Vancouver. And neither of the stores I visited had a website where you could buy the makeup online.

Then when Sephora actually got the makeup in so you could look at it in person, so much of it was loaded with shimmer. It wasn't what I wanted at all.

Honored Contributor

@TY - Thanks for the link to the article; it was really interesting. I remember reading an interview with Laura Geller shortly after she sold her company where she said a similar thing. She was unhappy about a change they were making to one of her signature products, but she had to sit on her hands!

I used BB when she was in her prime. I got out of it when the products got to crazy. I bought an eyeshadow palette one summer that had different pretty colors, but when I put them on they all looked like silver. After that, I turned to Laura Mercier mostly.

When I'd been watching QVC a few years, they had a Bobbi TSV. I enjoyed that, but haven't followed her line much since. IF I'm going to use a gel pot liner, hers are my favorite.

I wonder who will be the Bobbi rep for QVC? It will probably be some trendy young girl in her 20's! 

Honored Contributor

Wow! Just read the article. I didn't realize that Estee Lauder purchased Too Faced and Becca....Becca has some beautiful highlighters that are so simple to use and look really good......I love Too Faced Mascara, and their Born This Way Foundation......  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI...Bobbi Brown is on Zulily today! Lots of nice makeup/eye shadows/etc