Honored Contributor

Re: BIG MAKEUP CHANGES FOR ME

@Shanus wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

I try everything from Chanel to Rimmel

not wedded to any brand

never found any brand of skincare that does much 

whether or not it has parabens or none, organic or not is not a sales thing that makes much difference to me in performance or purchase decision 

makeup should be fun 

@jackthebear, the older I get, the more I think that this is true. The most I expect is increased moisturization and a smoother texture to my skin. I do not believe in probably99 percent of the claims made for most skincare products.

@suzyQ3. I know the firming, lifting thing is bull...can’t be done w/ cream. At any age, the best you can do is moisturizer, eye cream and protect w/ SPF at least 30...24/7. If looking for a little extra scientifically proven bang for your buck, add Retin A at night. 

@Shanus, I have given up trying to use any form of retinol, unless it's just a minor player in some product. I never could adjust well to it in any meaningful amount. I also gave up on Vitamin C, for other reasons. So I'll just stay moisturized and hope for the best.

I guess I'm weaning myself from dwelling too much on skincare and cosmetics.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

I try everything from Chanel to Rimmel

not wedded to any brand

never found any brand of skincare that does much 

whether or not it has parabens or none, organic or not is not a sales thing that makes much difference to me in performance or purchase decision 

makeup should be fun 

@jackthebear, the older I get, the more I think that this is true. The most I expect is increased moisturization and a smoother texture to my skin. I do not believe in probably99 percent of the claims made for most skincare products.

@suzyQ3. I know the firming, lifting thing is bull...can’t be done w/ cream. At any age, the best you can do is moisturizer, eye cream and protect w/ SPF at least 30...24/7. If looking for a little extra scientifically proven bang for your buck, add Retin A at night. 

@Shanus, I have given up trying to use any form of retinol, unless it's just a minor player in some product. I never could adjust well to it in any meaningful amount. I also gave up on Vitamin C, for other reasons. So I'll just stay moisturized and hope for the best.

I guess I'm weaning myself from dwelling too much on skincare and cosmetics.

@suzyQ3  Of course all decisions are guided by individual needs and preferences.

Valued Contributor

@haircut1001

Hi I too went cruelty free 5 years ago after adopting a rescue puppy. I tossed out Bobbie Brown , MAC and other brands. It turned out that many of the brands that were cruelty free were also organic and "cleaner brands" . What is great about many of these brands and the websites that sell them are that you can buy samples before you try . Currently using Luvalla and Jordan Samuels and Elique Organics for  skin care for makeup a mix of Gressa , Sappho, Teri Miyahira, Hynt Beauty , Nudus , RMS and W3ll People and Pacifica . 

Valued Contributor

I’ve been paring down my skincare and makeup stashes too.  I turned 50

last year, maybe there’s something to this life stage.  Anyway it’s hard when you’ve been a makeup junkie your whole life.  At this stage I know the colors that flatter me and what application techniques work for me, so now I’m focusing on “what do I need for my makeup kit”.  It’s by no means spartan but has what I need for a variety of

looks.

my list so far (I have some shades/products narrowed down)

MAC painterly paint pot (use it every day, base color and primer in one product)

cool brown medium and dark eyeshadows

warm brown medium and dark eyeshadows

mid and deep Heather toned eyeshadows

sheer sparkle eyeshadows that coordinate with the basic colors for  the ball of the eye for evening looks

Waterproof gel pencil eyeliners - navy, deep brown, raisin, graphite

bronzer (bb medium or Mac harmony when I’m pale)

rose blush (trish’s natural)

Dusty rose/mauve blush (BB sand pink)

bright pink blush (bb pale pink or TM peony or Sonia Kashuk flamingo)

Pinky peach blush (Sonia Kashuk melon)

bb pot rouge in powder pink and milk chocolate

bb foundation stick

tm bb cream

setting powder (Sonia Kashuk undetectable)

subtle highlighter

bb bisque corrector 

nars creamy radiant concealer

lippies -  Bb blue raspberry, deep natural (bb brown), bright pink (Sonia Kashuk raspberry), nude pink (Sonia Kashuk sweet pea stick and BB sand wash pink), coral pink, deep raspberry 

one sparkle gloss

one non sparkle gloss

benefit roller lash

benefit gimme brow (discontinued, sigh)

Skincare is next!

Esteemed Contributor

One minor change made a few days ago. Not sure if it's a permanent change yet. Went to Ulta Thursday to look to replace a Conair tool, no luck finding exactly the one I wanted but ended up looking at the Bare Minerals products. Walked out of there with a jar of their original foundation. So far I'm liking it very much. It leaves a wee bit of powder on the bathroom counter when I'm done but so does swirling my brush around in the IT original foundation (black compact) I've been using for quite a long time. Lately I've been feeling like my IT leaves me looking sallow or something and I keep using more blush to compensate. I use Light it the IT. In the Bare Minerals I got Medium 10 which to me looks like a better color for my skin. Think it has more pink undertones where the IT has more yellowish..........or something. Looking in different mirrors in different rooms I just think I look better, healthier or something, in the Bare Minerals.

Esteemed Contributor

Presently, I am not makeup or skincare restless, so no great changes for me. (Just the hydration method I've adopted some months back.)

However, if someone alters a formulation I've been using, I'll be out hunting for something comparable.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm experimenting with a number of different products as well.  Have worn Smashbox Halo for years, and now switch off to Perricone tinted moisturizer.  It's very sheer but adds just a touch of even tint to your skin, and then I just dot little bits of concealer where I need it.  Good skincare is so critical.

Just getting into Laura Mercier.  Have read so many good things about her line.  I purchase Healthy Lips, and the color is so natural and beautiful.  I normally love deeper reds on my lips but have come to love this other more natural color, especially on weekends and after work.

Love LG's lash primer and use it before I use any mascarsa.  Makes a huge difference.

Just back using Nick Chavez's Mesquite Shampoo/Conditioner and his Hydrating/Thickening Styling Gel....  can't believe how much fuller, thicker and shinier my hair is when I use these.

Always on the hunt for a great concealer.  I'm using 4 lines now, switching off.  Fiona Styles concealer pens are excellent.  I use two different colors with a separate brush... one for under my eyes, and the other for my skin. 

Always interested to hear what works for everyone.  Although we all have our own preferences, it's nice to see how we all make adjustments and use various products.

Valued Contributor

No tmuch to add here except I do love Palmer's face oil and Accure Marula oil.  I might try the citrus oil that was mentioned. 

I have to be careful what I put on my skin so I use Dove Gentle Exfoliating soap in the morning and Dove Dry Oil Soap at night.  I also have a bar of Tree Tea and Peppermint soap that is home made and sold locally by friends that I break out when I break out (no pun intended). 

I alternate between Bare Minerals Original, (still works great for me) IT CC cream and L'Oreal True Match and Doll 10.  I am not loyal to one particular eye shadow brand but I love Doris Dalton's Effort Lash Mascara and IT tightline primer Mascara.

I recently had to throw away a few Bare Minerals lippies because they smelled rancid and there wasn't much in the tubes anyhow.

I am no beauty and I have mentioned before that I abused my skin in the sun when I was a young teen.  I don't want to look 30 years younger I just want to work on maintaining what I have.

Nice thread.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, quite informative. Loved your post. On you search for matte shadows, have you tried Kristofer Buckle's palette? There are 3 shimmer colors but the rest are matte. I just lightly dot the shimmer shades in the center of my eyes. Quite wearable for a mature 68 year old woman. It is hard to find mattes since most companies think we are all 30 something. 

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I'm experimenting with a number of different products as well.  Have worn Smashbox Halo for years, and now switch off to Perricone tinted moisturizer.  It's very sheer but adds just a touch of even tint to your skin, and then I just dot little bits of concealer where I need it.  Good skincare is so critical.

Just getting into Laura Mercier.  Have read so many good things about her line.  I purchase Healthy Lips, and the color is so natural and beautiful.  I normally love deeper reds on my lips but have come to love this other more natural color, especially on weekends and after work.

Love LG's lash primer and use it before I use any mascarsa.  Makes a huge difference.

Just back using Nick Chavez's Mesquite Shampoo/Conditioner and his Hydrating/Thickening Styling Gel....  can't believe how much fuller, thicker and shinier my hair is when I use these.

Always on the hunt for a great concealer.  I'm using 4 lines now, switching off.  Fiona Styles concealer pens are excellent.  I use two different colors with a separate brush... one for under my eyes, and the other for my skin. 

Always interested to hear what works for everyone.  Although we all have our own preferences, it's nice to see how we all make adjustments and use various products.

@nyc1  Love Chavez Mesquite serum 💕