Trusted Contributor
I've been using niacinamide drops in the PM for the last several months and really love the way it feels on my face. So I bought another jar with a dropper but also has BHA in it. Now I have read that BHA needs to be at least 2% to be effective. This jar I have with the BHA and niacinamide in it does not list a percentage of BHA. If anyone uses these two products in conjunction in a skin care routine in the PM and AM, Will you tell me about your experience and if you have found a more effective way for this to be used to the most benefit. Thank you

@monicakm
I know you have stated many times you use niacinamide and that you encourage your granddaughters to do the same. So I thought maybe you for sure would have an opinion and some advice to impart. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

Re: BHA and niacinamide drops

I always thought that's salicylic acid was drying to skin and for acne.
I did find the Cosrx snail mucin at TJMAXX Friday. I didn't buy it. What exactly does it do?

What's the difference between aha and bha? Why do you prefer aha? Is it bad to use niacinamide in both am and pm?
This beauty board is fascinating to me. 🤗
Honored Contributor

@Midmod I posted a link to an article earlier.  It inadvertently had product links so it's been deleted.  Here are screenshots of the article:

7B709DA8-3B53-4EFC-9EFB-A3B866A175DF.jpeg

213BF79A-842F-45D2-988E-7F2D38944733.jpeg
 CBC27FBF-A47C-4A16-8C72-48EA039A531E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod wrote:
I always thought that's salicylic acid was drying to skin and for acne.
I did find the Cosrx snail mucin at TJMAXX Friday. I didn't buy it. What exactly does it do?

What's the difference between aha and bha? Why do you prefer aha? Is it bad to use niacinamide in both am and pm?
This beauty board is fascinating to me. 🤗

I'm no chemist, so I defer to @SilleeMee on this one. My very basic understanding is that acids will exfoliate. BHA (salicylic acid) is the one usually recommended for acne. AHA's like glycolic and lactic acids exfoliate too, but also help to moisturize. 

Snail mucin does a lot of good things for the skin.  It contains peptides and hyaluronic acid. Its main job is to add hydration but it can also help to encourage collagen production and has some healing properties for barrier repair.  I don't know if it's true or wishful thinking, but being that my serum has the niacinamide paired with it, I think (hope) the snail mucin could help the penetration of the niacinamide. 

Honored Contributor

Whenever you apply acids on the skin that breaks apart (exfoliates) the outermost layer of the skin (the epidermis) and that makes the skin absorb products which you apply afterwards which can cause sensitivity for some people. BHAs work best on the surface and inside pores where it can dissolve 'pore sludge'. AHAs, which include glycolic and lactic, work on both surface and below where glycolic will go the deepest due to it's smaller molecular size. AHAs attract moisture and are called humectants so they help moisturize the skin. 

Acids have a low pH meaning they can alter the skin's normal barrier as well as alter the efficacy of other products you might use with them.  Usually you want to layer acids and not mix them together with other products. Either use acids alone or layer them. Don't mix them with other things. 

Trusted Contributor

Ok that makes sense as far as feeling as if the new BHA+niacinamide serum felt drying to my skin today.
I will limit that product. Thanks all for taking the time to post such in depth information on this subject. Bless you
Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

James Welsh and Niacinamide are what started my skincare journey.  I love both! Smiley Happy  My skin wasn't "bad" to begin with but the difference niacinamide made to the overall brightness, clarity and smoothness was wonderful!  It's supposed to be very good for breakouts.  I didn't have those but the teenage grandbabies did (boy and girl).  They have had great results with it.  I keep them stocked with it and gave each a 2oz bottle for Christmas. 

I don't know if it was the AHA or the BHA  but I used The Ordinary's red colored combo of these ingredients and it nearly ate a hole in my face.  Never again!

Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

I did find the Cosrx snail mucin at TJMAXX

Shocked Emoji Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images ...

It's super hydrating.  It sinks right in.  Not tacky, no fragrance.  Google it.

Can't live without it.

Honored Contributor

@Midmod This is what I use.  C0B414D4-A8AD-4090-B378-3FB0735C51E9.jpeg