Esteemed Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO DE-YELLOW WHITE HAIR??

I have my mothers hair and for that matter all of my aunts.  When I was younger trying to dye it was not too much fun because it was color resistant.  I ended up with positional vertigo that prevented me from getting any help from others.  Could not go backwards into a sink.  In a way it was a blessing since not being able to color it meant I had to be silver haired instead.  It is a joy for me.  No work to do.  Using the product Shimmer Lights really worked to keep me from a yellow cast.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Clairol Shimmer Lights

I have silver white hair, and it has been that way for a long time.  I shampoo it and then apply Shimmer Lights.  Next step,  toss in a bit of mousse, spray hairspray and then wait until it dries naturally.  I do not use curling irons or hairdryers.  ( I do have naturally  curly hair).  When it is totally dry I simply style with my hands, spray and go about my day.  

@bonnielu  Are you saying you leave the Shimmer Lights conditioner in your hair?  Where do you buy this?  Drug store, Walmart, or do you have to order online?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Hello, tends2dogs. Smiley Happy

Nick Chavez makes Brass Out Violet Shampoo and Conditioner. It's sold as a set on QVC. The item number for it is A266112.

Or you can get it separetely at Nick's site.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

My husband  tried that Shimmer Lights from Clairol  - did nothing.

He used to use this shampoo from Visible Changes that they no longer carry. So he asked them one time  what he should use instead - he now uses - Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde Shampoo. We bought it there - I have not looked it up to see where else has it, perhaps Ulta?

He tried that Clairol Shimmering Lights - it did nothing for his though - but I am sure that varies from person to person. 

That Paul Mitchell stuff works well though,  so he will probably stick with that.

Good Luck!! ( that Paul Mitchell shampoo comes in a few different varieties - I guess it depends on what the issue with white hair).

-Texas Hill Country-
Super Contributor

There are so many purple shampoos to choose from. Sally's has the shimmer lights, another knock off, and ion cool blonde which is very gentle.and more!

Ulta has so many!! in every line. Paul Mitchell is good, but I love AG Simply Silver, it is a rich deep purple. 

I have tried Aveda but it is not that strong -it does smell amazing and is gentle.

on sephora there is a Klorane shamool with centaury -also on the klorane website with a great price that is not purple but is great for shine.

Most have matching conditioners.

for a treatment I go to a REdken salon for a purple toner treatment. You can also do a Manic Panic virgin snow treatment at home which is awesome and so gentle and a treat for the hair. This is at Sally's too. You can look up a lot of reviews on makeup alley for all the purple people eater products, hahaha

Honored Contributor

I have pure white hair and I find that some dyes in shampoos are the worst for me as far as causing yellowing. For several years now i have been using Pert shampoo with conditioner in it and the dye they add to it has not gotten into my hair the way some do. I also am cautious about always washing my hair immediately after swimming or it picks up the blue from the chlorine. Also, if you are a smoker or around a smoker - that will absolutely make your hair a nasty yellow.

Valued Contributor

Hi 

I have dark brown hair wih silver streaks , but a while back I had read an article that certain natural oils and ingredients and oil treatments  can stain white /silver hair . In fact I was in Natural / health store and one of the hair treatments stated that some of the ingredients  would stain white/blond hair ( I think it was a  shea butter)  . Now whenever I am interested in trying a hair prodcut I will always email the company web site to see if it is safe for white/silver hair . I don't know if this applies to you , but it is something to consider . I had never thought twice about trying something for my hair until I read the article , we always here about things being safe for color-treated hair but never the other way around . good luck 

Valued Contributor

For many years my father had used an OTC shampoo (from a beauty supply store) made especially for  eliminating the "yellowness" from gray hair.  It worked very well for a long time, and then pretty soon Dad's hair was LAVENDER! I asked my hairdresser about it, and she suggested he simply cut his usual anti-yellow shampoo with some regular shampoo; he was OD'ing on the stuff.  He passed before I could give him the tip. Heck...he probably wouldn't have used the advice anyway. I don't remember his brand, but it wasn't too expensive.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother had beautiful white hair in her 80s, she would start to get a little yellow in it and she used bluing to get it out.

I just did a quick search and people are still using bluing to get the yellow out.

Here is the product and a write-up about using it on hair:

http://mrsstewart.com/whiten-hair-and-pets/

Whiten Hair and Pets
WHITER HAIR

Countless letters from elderly citizens tell us that Mrs. Stewart’s Bluing is a wonderful addition to the rinse water when washing gray or white hair. It eliminates yellowing and gives their hair that beautiful whiteness which cannot be obtained even by products made especially for that purpose. It is absolutely safe, and because it is used by the drop, costs less than a penny per use! Use just a couple of drops in the rinse water. No wonder hair salons are beginning to contact us! Because we haven’t tested MSB for whitening hair, we don’t publish a specific formula. However, our customers tell us they wash and rinse their hair as normal. Then, they dilute a “couple” or a “few” drops of MSB in 1-2 quarts of water and run the diluted bluing through their hair as the final rinse. Some do this with every washing, some only when needed.

It's about $10 for a pack of two on Amazon.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

Biosilk silver lights works great for deyellowing!