Esteemed Contributor

BEST WAY TO DE-YELLOW WHITE HAIR??

Having white hair is a whole different experience than having color treated hair.  First, the texture is so much different.  Being free from coloring is wonderful, but my hair has a yellow blond tint to it.  I have tried bluing shampoos, the crystal packs from Sally's, baking soda added to my shampoo, and clarifying shampoo.  DH says that sometimes my hair looks white and sometimes it looks blondish.  It kind of bugs me and wonder what you white haired ladies have found to keep it nice and white.

Oh, and one other question.  The front and sides of my hair are white, however, the back is salt and pepper.  It is ugly IMHO.  Would it be possible to have highlights put in the back in the lightest color possible (to match the front)?  I would have it done in a salon, of course, or am I asking for trouble?

Ideas??

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: BEST WAY TO DE-YELLOW WHITE HAIR??

I've had white hair since about age 40 - got it from my Dad.  I never had any issues with yellowing until recently when the MD changed my meds up.  All of a sudden I had a yellowish streak down one side. UGLY!!  I talked with my hairdresser, and his recommendation was Shimmer Lights Shampoo by Clairol.  He said that I shouldn't expect immediate results as it might take up to four shampoos before I could see a difference. Actually it took only two. My hair is a little whiter than before, but the yellow is gone. You might try this if you haven't already.

Reminds me of an old radio commercial . . ."You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent". Or maybe you're not old enough to remember that one.  I sure am!

Honored Contributor

This thread made me think of my dear Grandmother back when I was 21 ( I am 53 now) she was disgusted with all her daughters and granddaughters when she finally after many many years had her prescription on her eyeglasses made stronger and discovered she did not have white hair but Yellow hair.

She wanted to know why not one of us told her.  I said Nanny you had it so long I thought that was what you wanted.  By the way she owned a Hair Salon from the 40's until she passed in 2010. 

Yellow hair is something I like to look at, it is Nanny.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My suggestion is Roux Fanci-Full temporary color rinse in the Ulta White Minx; 15 oz for around $6.79 @ Sally Beauty Supply.   This is what was used on my grandmothers hair; she always received compliments on her beautiful white hair, and this was the secret.   

Honored Contributor

Perkup has some great ideas which I agree with.  Yes, I remember the toothpaste commercial.   It's a nice flash back.

Some drugs can yellow hair as can hard water and cigarette smoke.

My hair is naturally silver, not white and I have never had yellowing.  My sister has Snow White hair with no yellowing problems either.

For most people, it takes a while for the back, usually around the nape area to lighten up.  That area will remain naturally dark or salt  and pepper for a while.  Sooner or later it too, will change.  I would just hang in there and just use a hair brightens to try to keep the yellow color at bay.

Almost forgot...Make sure you do not use a curling iron on your hair if it has hair spray on it.  It will burn and make your hair yellow too.  Keep the iron at a moderate heat and go easy on styling products.... Like butter, the product can burn and discolor.

Best of luck.

Esteemed Contributor

My hair is snow white but in my bathroom mirrors, with the lights in there, it looks light blond.  Makes it difficult to do makeup.  I didn't realize how white my hair was until I saw a picture of me. 

I still have darker in the back but I have it cut in a way to accent the fact.  I like it, but then I don't see it.  The white kinda makes a layer over the darker and she leaves it slightly longer so it is accented.

One thing that will help is to use cheap bottled water to wash your hair.  Water chemicals do affect the hair color.

Respected Contributor

Heated styling tools can cause yellowing of white hair too.  If you use any heated styling tools make sure you don't set the temp too high and don't keep in contact with the hair for too long.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I do use a curling iron sometimes to straighten it a bit.  I have curly hair on the sides and back , but not on the top.  I don't use the curling iron on the top though and that is where it is the most "yellow".  My mom had the most beautiful white hair.  She got sets everyweek with a curling iron and it never yellowed.  I think I may try the Clairol Shimmering Lights. 

I do remember the Pepsodent ads.  We used it when we were growing up.  Remember it came in a powder? 

One other thing, I don't smoke .  I take Armour Thyroid.  Do you think Coors Light would turn it yellow?  If so, just call me blondie.

Thanks again, ladies.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Clairol Shimmer Lights

I have silver white hair, and it has been that way for a long time.  I shampoo it and then apply Shimmer Lights.  Next step,  toss in a bit of mousse, spray hairspray and then wait until it dries naturally.  I do not use curling irons or hairdryers.  ( I do have naturally  curly hair).  When it is totally dry I simply style with my hands, spray and go about my day.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Clairol Shimmer Lights

I have silver white hair, and it has been that way for a long time.  I shampoo it and then apply Shimmer Lights.  Next step,  toss in a bit of mousse, spray hairspray and then wait until it dries naturally.  I do not use curling irons or hairdryers.  ( I do have naturally  curly hair).  When it is totally dry I simply style with my hands, spray and go about my day.  

Oh lucky you!  You must have received my share of "good hair."  Mine is dense but fine and straight as can be.  I can get a perm and let it dry naturally and it looks natural but perms grow out so fast.  Count your blessings!  My hair is as white as fresh fallen snow!